You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure STASIS, an indie adventure game.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #181

Yeah-that was the website. If you use GOOGLE IMAGE search on that site, and only look for the big images you can filter through all the smaller ones.

There was a game called 'Static' that had some beautiful isometric graphics, and of course, most RPG's from Black Isle are awesome reference. Diablo 1 - 3 are also bad-ass.

For some awesome ISO graphics, there is this game called STASIS.....
Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #182

Ah thanks dude, and yes I already have a refernce folder where I'm downloading the STASIS shots

What an unfortunate name for a game to be called 'static', impossible to google, all I get is static
Old 07-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #183

New Screenshot for your consumption

No massive insite into the world of game-dev in this post, but I do have some candy for you.
The more observant will notice a few differences in this screenshot compared to others. The main one is the lack of Hyper Storage Device in the corner. I have streamlined the interface even more, and hidden it as much as possible. The ‘ACCESS’ button will open up the Inventory (in a cool foldy/swingy out animation thingy) by hovering over it, and the inventory will close automatically when you are finished with it.
This has really helped, because I found myself designing levels around the interface-which is something I really wasnt happy with! Im quite enjoying the fact that the screen is pretty much entirely dedicated to the environment now.
The second thing is the new clothing that Maracheck is wearing….but that’s for another post.

http://www.stasisgame.com/product-storage/
Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #184
It's Hard To Be Humble

I like the interface decision you've made, Pyke. Having dicked around with a few UIs myself, I can honestly say that I actually prefer UI features to be tucked offscreen and leave room for the art. It's so much more immersive, and helps with screen layout, so you don't have to rearrange or omit features and assets simply because they can't be seen behind the UI features.

Incidentally, I really like the screenshot. Still eagerly awaiting your game, which is something I almost never say about an isomorphic game.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I like the interface decision you've made, Pyke. Having dicked around with a few UIs myself, I can honestly say that I actually prefer UI features to be tucked offscreen and leave room for the art. It's so much more immersive, and helps with screen layout, so you don't have to rearrange or omit features and assets simply because they can't be seen behind the UI features.

Incidentally, I really like the screenshot. Still eagerly awaiting your game, which is something I almost never say about an isomorphic game.
Thanks mate. Yeah-Ive been really working on making sure that immersion is always at the forefront of the game design! Streamlining the interface really improves that!
If it helps, Im also eagerly awaiting it.

Nice update for you guys, with an explanation of some of the changes I have been doing to the game, aswell as some music from it.

http://www.stasisgame.com/daddy-please-help-us/

I have updated the ABOUT page, with some different information about the direction of the story that STASIS is taking. For those who dont want to link around, here is the update:
…………………..
“Daddy, please help us…”
Disoriented, drowsy, and in pain, John Maracheck opens his eyes. Nothing greets him, but the static of a nearby monitor, and a cold steel floor. Thick green liquid covers the floor and his body, leading to a nearby, steaming stasis-pod. He slowly gets to his feet, trying to take in his surroundings. Where is his wife? His daughter? What the hell is going on….?
What is STASIS?
Stasis is an adventure game, that puts you in control of John Maracheck. a man searching for his family, in a seemingly abandoned research facility. Going back to classic adventure game mechanics, you have to solve puzzles, and use objects around you to progress, and to find Marachecks family.
Graphically, Stasis is fairly unique in the adventure game genre, opting for highly detailed isometric graphics, as opposed to the more classic ‘side on’ views of other adventure games. Richly detailed rooms and fluid animations create an immersive environment for the player to explore, with danger lurking in every shadow.
The stasis-plug suit gives you direct access to an Emergency Medical Kit. A piece of equipment that has the ability to break down any object of a certain weight and size into its base elements, and store it for future use. While normally it is used to store small medical supplies, Maracheck uses it as an easy way to keep and transport found objects. Objects can be stored, accessed, combined, and brought back into the ‘real’ world at any moment.
At its core, Stasis is a story about an ordinary man, in an extraordinary situation.
Trapped in a place where humanities horrors come out to play, how far would you go to protect your family?
Welcome to The Groomlake. We know you will enjoy your stay.

…………………..
I spoke in an earlier post about a few changes. These have come about after taking a hard look at the game, and really taking out the pieces that I didn’t feel were moving the story forward. The setting is still the same, by the story is now focused on one mans hunt for his family inside this truly horrific place. This is a new direction I have been taking the game for a while, and I have to say that I think it is going to be a very emotional, tiring, and surprising journey for the player!
The core mechanics haven’t changed at all with the new story, with the exception of juggling around some technical jargon. The Hyper Storage Device has become an Emergency Medical Kit, but it operates in the exact same way. The salvage suit has become a Stasis-Plug-Suit, which will give the player feedback not only on the environment, but also on the characters own physical well-being.
Most of the environments from the previous story stay exactly the same, except now the purpose for the player being in them has changed. I have to admit, its quite interesting how a small change in the ‘purpose’ of a scene can so drastically change how the scene feels. Fear not tho-this change of direction hasn’t messed up my time lines! The game is still very much on course, except I truely believe that it will be a far superior product! The advantage of indie development, and also solo development, is that I can alter things that aren’t working. Infact, I have actually been working even faster on the game, as the story is quite a bit ‘tighter’ (and more exciting) than before-something that definitely helps in the development!
Here is one of the themes I have been composing for the game. (Click to download the Mp3)
Daddy Please Help Us
I really wish I could tell you guys the full extent of the story. What is Cayne Corporation? Is death preferable to some fates? And just what is that whispering noise coming from the walls….?
-Chris
Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #186

Sorry to crash in like this if I've missed the point, but are you planning to release a demo soon? These screenshots look very cool.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #187

Hey Guys,

Im still hard at work. Heres some new screens, and some musings on puzzle design.

http://www.stasisgame.com/the-locked-door/

Hoipolloi, no release dates yet. When I do release a demo, it will be pretty close to the date of the final game release.

-Chris
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #188

i don't suppose you'd consider releasing an alpha concept demo would you? It's done absolute wonders for Project Zomboid (although that is a sandbox game) and it'd be nice to be able to wander around a few rooms and see how the interface works first hand.

(also, it's infirmary)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #189

Thanks for picking that up! When you look at something for long, it all kinda blurs..
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #190

Regarding a concept demo, Ill be having a closed BETA, and have been toying around with the idea of a mini game, set in the STASIS universe....kinda like a playable trailer... So not playing any part that's in the game, but playing a small adventure game IN the same world. Just random thoughts for now.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #191

like the modules on neverwinter nights or anything alike.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #192

Yeah-exactly. Like I said its more just a thought now...trying to focus on getting the actual game done!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #193

we'll be eagerly awaiting either of them.so it's a win win.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #194

Keep it up, Pyke

The gritty rendering style you've went for is great. If I had to be picky with the 'Infirmary Power Grid' puzzle screen, I'd say the 3D lettering under the dials looks a little super-imposed and maybe not old and gritty enough, but that's just a nit-pick (and the artwork probably isn't final anyway).
Old 08-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #195
MovieStar Adventurer!

I'm definitely intrigued by the story to this game... I think I'll put it on my "to play" list!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Regarding a concept demo, Ill be having a closed BETA, and have been toying around with the idea of a mini game, set in the STASIS universe....kinda like a playable trailer... So not playing any part that's in the game, but playing a small adventure game IN the same world. Just random thoughts for now.
Great idea Pyke actually, I think it would be a rather unique way to promote.

The latest puzzle screens look so good, love the fidelity.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #197

New Screenshots:

And a discussion about the interface design:

http://www.stasisgame.com/interface-design/

-Chris
Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #198

i read what you said about the interface design and i have one thing to say.i remember when i found out in an interview of Agustin about some things he decided in the process of making Scratches.

He decided that since he didn't have the manpower he would not put animations in the game.But there was a catch.In the story he had some interactions with other characters.So he made it that all interactions with other people were done by phone.He could get the voices done so it was a brilliant decision.

That was one example but my point is that you got to do whatever suits you bearing in mind your constraints.Also you get all these tricks from searching solutions like these so you have a way out in any situation in the future.Not to mention it is fun to find ways to solve problems like these.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 AM   #199
Given to fly

This looks fantastic. I can't wait to see it in action.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #200

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. jhetfield21, I completely agree. I think that limitations make for better art!

Here is a nice treat for you guys...the first 5 minutes of gameplay!

http://www.stasisgame.com/the-first-5-minutes/