You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror Remastered

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror Remastered

Coming soon to iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and PC/Mac!

PC/Mac early next year, though.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #2

I don't understand why they keep insisting on using Dave Gibbons to redraw the character portraits. They look nothing like the actual characters anymore.
In the original versions they looked exactly like the characters.

I can't be the only one who's noticing this?!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #3

Bummer! I just finished the PSX version on PSP with awkward controls.. If I knew this I would have waited to play it..

Good news though for future playthroughs.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #4

nevermind... i just bought this on Steam the other day

Last edited by phredster; 12-09-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #5

Agree with Sanar.
I don't like'em either!

Anyway, hoping for more new sceens ...
The second BS was way too short!!!
But IT IS my favorite game, so ...YAAAAY !!!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate me View Post
Agree with Sanar.
I don't like'em either!

Anyway, hoping for more new sceens ...
The second BS was way too short!!!
But IT IS my favorite game, so ...YAAAAY !!!!!
At least I'm not the only one..
I didn't bother with the remake of the first game because of the inconssitency on the new art on the portraits. The original is fine the way it is.

Last edited by Santar; 12-09-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

I'm glad they're remastering The Smoking Mirror. I thought that most of the changes in the Director's Cut of The Shadow of the Templars were for the better -- improved graphics and interface, diary system, fairer puzzles etc.

I can understand people not liking the style of the facial expressions, but I still prefer it with them than without to be honest. It just makes the characters a bit more lively and gives you something else to look at.

The fact that they aren't adding a new scenario is a missed opportunity in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

I'm with santar too but I also agree with orient in one thing,they won't add anything new in terms of story in the second.the first had the extra content so I got it and in Wii it was a solid remake.but the pc version was inconsistent as santar said.

In short I'll see the result of the second to see how it turned out but I'm not too sure this time.there is no extra content mentioned so far to lure me and the improved graphics ain't reason enough for me and I also don't like Gibbons's work in the previous.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #9

If I hadn't played "Broken Sword: The Director's Cut", I would be thrilled by this news, considering the fact that "Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror" was the first adventure game I've ever played, so it has a special place in my heart, despite the fact it isn't very high-rated in general. But the remastered version of "The Shadow of the Templars" didn't appealed to me, and didn't brought visual improvements over the original game, which is what I was expecting to see.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #10

There are some screenshots here, presumably for the iPhone/iPod version:
http://www.videogamer.com/iphone/bro...reenshots.html

The graphics don't look very different from the original, which I'm actually replaying right now (running it perfectly on ScummVM) -- aside for the character portraits, of course.

I didn't play the remaster of the original game, but just by looking at some videos on YouTube, I wasn't all that impressed by the portraits. Especially considering they sometimes took the place of character animations.

But who knows, maybe Revolution will do a better job this time round. Remember LucasArts' first attempt at the Monkey Island remake compared to their polished effort in MI2:SE.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #11

No extra content for BS2 ?

Smoking Mirror probably could have benefited from it.
Though I like it, it certainly lacks the charm & involving story of it´s predecessor.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 12-10-2010, 04:22 AM   #12
I changed my title

My only problem with the portraits is George, who looks like an old lady. The rest of the characters look fine to me.

Anyway, don't know if I'll get this as I still have my old copy. We'll see if their additions are worth it.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #13
It's Hard To Be Humble

Well, looks like I get to go against the grain this time. How often does that happen? I'm a big fan of both Smoking Mirror (the first BS game I ever played) AND Dave Gibbons, who is something of an artistic hero of mine. I'm probably also somewhat uncommon in that I really liked the director's cut of Shadow of the Templars, so I have very little doubt that this is going to be great, too. The only disappointment I can think of is that they don't seem to be porting it to the Wii like they did with the last game.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #14
The Quiet One

Broken Sword 1 didn't need the extra scenes, imo. Broken Sword 2, however, would have benefited greatly from them as the story isn't as big or deep. Hopefully the comic will flesh it out a bit more, but after the first DC comic I have my doubts.

The portraits would be better if their mouths actually moved with the words, too.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #15
The 'Mighty Dragon'

I'll get it if they can guarantee the quality of the game will be more consistent than it was in the first director's cut.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #16

gazzoid i think the extra scenes in bs1 where worth it since they explain how this whole story started.how nicole came to be a duo with george other than she just came to meet a guy and he apparently had a connection.i mean didn't you wonder who was plantard and what info he had to give to nico?also what was that about those businessmen that were assassinated by khaan?maybe not too important to the main story for it to unfold but it still is a question in the end.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
She Wants Revenge

I liked the extra scenes with Nico on BS1. I think the game was fine without them too but they didn't make the game worse by any means.

The portraits I am not a fan of either. Having portraits is not the issue, it's the artistic style. Everyone has a very long and narrow faces, most of the characters look a bit weird. And I have to agree, George looks like a woman and then there are women who look like men. Not my cup of tea.

I am not really sure if I will bother with the second remake since I have the original and there is no added content.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #18

I really wish they ported this to the DS like the first one. My wife doesn't play computer or console games but she plays some adventures on her DS and loves them. She has bought every version of Broken Sword from the GB Advanced to both versions of the DS release and has played the game about 30 times. She also really enjoyed the Runaway games. This one would thrill her.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #19

12 minute gameplay vid of iPhone version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV7MoItOYis

Also noticed it appears on App Store search but no content yet so it could be up tomorrow or on Friday.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #20

from the vid it seems that only the graphics changed.if they did cause it's been a while since the last time i played it and it looks tha same to me.one things for sure.the voice acting is the same.

EDIT:after watching it some more the only remastering i can see is the new interface and the portrait talking when a character has something to say.even if there is a little improvement in the graphics it's not apparent,at least not to me.