You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A King's Quest-ish Adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #21

OK, I've played the Sierra games when they were NEW games, also some of the LucasArts games way at the beginning, and for my money right now the best NEW adventure game out there is Lost Horizon. It has great graphics in many neat locations and cool characters. It has an Indiana Jones vibe to it, IMO, and I enjoyed playing it as much as FOA.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #22

Once again this site proves friendly and helpful.

Some suggestions that stuck out were Death Gate (love this and Shannara A LOT!), Fable (could not get into, though it has been a while) and Lost Horizon (it's OK, but as an avid fan of all things Indy, I just kept comparing it to the original. Some of the puzzles were a little illogical as well.)

I'm still waiting on more reviews of Darkstar. Puzzle quality, cheese factor, etc.

Anyway, one suggestion that really intrigued me was Salammbo. I read the review - what more can you tell me about the game? Are the puzzles really that easy? Are they at least clever?

Also, I just started playing Tale of Two Kingdoms - really like it so far (especially once I got past the opening).

Thanks again for the suggestions and keep em coming! lol
Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #23

^
*ahum* Gabriel Knight?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #24

Hah. Sorry. Yes I have played all three Gabriel Knight games. I wish I hadn't. I'd love to play them for the first time again...

Part 2 especially. Such good memories.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
Schattenjäger

oh have you played tex murphy games? particularly the 4th game pandora directive. Theres danger, lots of complicated inventory puzzles, and even multiple story paths based on dialogue choices you make. They even have a really cool hint system where you can ask the game for hints but it costs you points off your overall score. It is a first person game though, so the controls are kindv awkward considering the year it was made. But it is a top notch adventure game.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #26

Kyrandia games are wonderful and unique adventures, all three of them. Yes, unique - unique gameplay, unique atmosphere, unique feeling. I'd say the second part is the best one, although the first is closer to KQ series. There's fantasy, magic, lots of exploration and adventuring, fun and danger (some nice deaths). You really should try it.

As long as you're familiar with DragonSphere and DeathGate, I'd say... Torrin's Passage? It's childish and it's from Al Lowe, and that's it. Well, again: magic, fantasy, fun & danger. But the gameplay is a mixed bug.

Definitely Zork: Grand Inquisitor - most friendly and most perfect game of the series. It makes fun of magic, fantasy, fun & danger while being an excellent adventure itself. So many sweet memories...

And there's also Quest for Glory series, but you've probably played it.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #27
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131 View Post
Anyway, one suggestion that really intrigued me was Salammbo. I read the review - what more can you tell me about the game? Are the puzzles really that easy? Are they at least clever?
I like to think of the puzzles as fair rather than easy. They're diverse, make sense and are well integrated into the story. Veterans of the genre shouldn't have many problems.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #28

Death Gate is a great suggestion. If you like that, one game people never give enough attention to was Ween: The Prophecy.

I also second the Torins Passge game. I know you said you played most Sierra games but that one kind of slipped through the cracks for a lot of people.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #29

Quote:
So I'm looking for a sweeping adventure in the tradition of King's Quest. Lots of cool, dangerous creatures and characters, colorful fantasy setting, etc.
all the KQ games are excellent. all i can think of is old dos games like KYRANDIA or something like that.

i love point and click games.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #30

How about Monkey Island series or Tales of Monkey Island by Telltale Games & LucasArts?
Maybe Harvester?

Last edited by GigaWatt; 12-11-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #31

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the Kyrandia series? From an adventure/puzzle perspective?
I remember playing all 3 when I was very young and enjoying it but I tried to play them recently and they are pretty lame... like everyone says.. Bland.

Have you tried "The Dig" - its an old classic but great story/adventure.

Also maybe try looking up an old game called "Krystal" (or The Krystal).
Its an old Amiga Game and I recall it being very good (and hard).
It had lovely graphics and sound for its time..

Last edited by Weare6; 01-09-2011 at 04:32 PM.