You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I "hate" that game!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Default I "hate" that game!

Ok, so this is not supposed to be another "worst games list" but more of your bashing of games that may or may not be good in your opinion, but you just couldn't get over some things about it. Here's some of mine:

Mata Hari - this is actually not a bad game, with excellent graphics and nice historical ambient. But i gave up on it after tedious walking from one person to another, in order to move the story. Interface didn't help, because inventory and dialog options were rather - symbols, and you always had to drag & drop symbols to a character in order to talk to him.

Dreamfall - What's with the running? Run from one end of city to another, then go back. Then do it again. Again. Ok, can i have a quick-travel map now or am i preparing myself for a long-distance race?

Monkey Island Special Edition 1 and 2: Even it's a budget release and welcomed return of LucasArts to adventure games scene, i still prefer old graphics to "flashy" new ones. Even if i swallow backgrounds there's still Guybrush's new designs.

Still Life 2 - ok, if anyone doesn't want to bash this game thats' me, because i think it's underrated, but still: What's with the inventory system? And more importantly, what's with the snooping of every inch and corner of the most enourmous house in adventure gaming since Phantasmagoria?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Schattenjäger

the dig: its got nice production values but i hated the story and the puzzles.

full throttle: This game i dont hate, theres alot of nice things about the game and i generally like it, but that canyon mini-game is one of the worst iv ever seen in an adventure game. And the game was way too short.

kings quest 5: It features the combination of some of the most annoying dead-ends, and the voice version has some of the most annoying voice acting.

Last edited by zane; 11-21-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Despite its interface flaws, apparently tight budget, and weaker final chapter, I found Mata Hari very refreshing and underrated - definitely one of more interesting adventures of recent years.

Last edited by Ascovel; 11-22-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #4

It's a cruel thread, cause it will end up with everyone defending their favourite games. I will try to avoid it, saying that I didn't enjoy Fable-1996 (as it is called today). It's beautiful, funny, it has a neat interface, the atmosphere is fantastic, the plot felt rather intriguing. I wish more games looked like this one. But it was impossible to play. Puzzles ruin the fun in a few hours. Ah, what a loss.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Schattenjäger

i think a nice title for this thread would be "games you love to hate"
Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
i think a nice title for this thread would be "games you love to hate"
I disagree. I hate Discworld because of nonsensical puzzles, but I don't love to hate it, I want to be able to play it without my head imploding.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #7

STILL LIFE 2 - worst sequel of all time in my opinion

terrible voice acting, forgettable music, unoriginal/boring SAW-like story/gameplay... and the graphics is atrocious, and to future devs, please if your team is not talented enough to do 3d graphics, DON'T, there is nothing wrong with 2/2.5d graphics in adventure gaming...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Monkey Island Special Edition 1 and 2: Even it's a budget release and welcomed return of LucasArts to adventure games scene, i still prefer old graphics to "flashy" new ones. Even if i swallow backgrounds there's still Guybrush's new designs.
If you prefer old graphics to new one you can just press F4. As that button will revert the game to its original graphics. You can then consider all the dialogs spoken by their respective VA and the new graphical overall simply an extra.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #9

Alter Ego ok first of let me say i really liked the game but at the same time i'm disappointed from this game
while the puzzles were kinda challenging they were also frustrating
the storyline was interesting ( even if it had a few plot holes )
and the ending was just... terrible
Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #10
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Dreamfall - What's with the running? Run from one end of city to another, then go back. Then do it again. Again. Ok, can i have a quick-travel map now or am i preparing myself for a long-distance race?
It was no worse than The Longest Journey was. I agree a "quick travel" system would have been nice, but it wasn't really necessary.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Despite its interface flaws, apparently tight budget, and weaker final chapter, I found Mata Hari very refreshing and underrated - definitely one of more interesting adventures of recent years.
I thought Mata Hari had a unique feel, with its turn of the century historical/political themes, and it was certainly beautiful to look at. Ultimately, though, the game became quite boring, with unremarkable characters and poor story presentation.

Runaway: A Road Adventure is always a go-to title for my adventure-based hatred. Painfully unfunny. Horrific voice acting. Absurd puzzle logic.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I thought Mata Hari had a unique feel, with its turn of the century historical/political themes, and it was certainly beautiful to look at. Ultimately, though, the game became quite boring, with unremarkable characters and poor story presentation.

Runaway: A Road Adventure is always a go-to title for my adventure-based hatred. Painfully unfunny. Horrific voice acting. Absurd puzzle logic.
I´m ther with you. Runaway is the worst of the lot. So bad that i avoided the sequels like the plague.

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 11-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #13

Runaway is indeed bad. I never thought there would exist a VG that I would be repulsed by and be considered unanimously bad, but Runaway made him happen.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
It was no worse than The Longest Journey was. I agree a "quick travel" system would have been nice, but it wasn't really necessary.
Yes, but it's not all about the quick-travel and running. The thing is that there are little puzzles on the way so when i played it, i felt like an errand boy. I have nothing against interactive-movie games (on the contrary) but if you're making a game of that kind then running back and forth is not necessary.

The Longest Journey may have backtracking or running just like Dreamfall has, but the difference is that it also has more traditional puzzles and acts in that way. That's not to say that Dreamfall is bad game, since i've never finished it, i'm just saying why i gave up on it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #15

I have to echo the ridicule being heaped upon the lamentable Still Life 2. Taking money off people for a game like that is akin to mugging them. You wanna play test it before you release that guys? Or at least hire a programmer...
Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #16

Dreamfall
GK3
Most of the KQ series/sierra games
Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #17

I'll just let John Walker's Myst retrospective over at Eurogamer do the talking.

Quote:
Good grief, I hate stinking Myst. And I hate anyone who likes it. I hate you, and your ghastly taste. If this was good enough – if this was what you wanted from gaming – then I hope the litany of miserable clone games that destroyed the joy of adventuring has made you very happy. Every time I receive a game to review that requires me to read its entire plot from a digital pile of horribly written “books”, I turn and look at you with such piteous contempt that your mothers want to disown you.

Seriously, this is the game that made it okay for developers to think, “Nah, screw telling a story, let’s just make the player pick it all up from our handwriting-font-printed virtual novels. It’ll be much easier to excuse a collection of meaningless, unconnected puzzles if there’s a book about flying cats or something. And a diary. No, wait, 18 diaries. 18 diaries filled with pages and pages of our purplest prose, in which one paragraph of information somewhat relates to a puzzle 15 locations away. That’s narrative.”
Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Then I felt completely different about the game. The graphics were pleasant enough to look at, but overall average at best (backdrops looked like a bunch of old photos/drawings spliced and colorized in Photoshop). However, the characters and storytelling were strong and refreshingly different than in other recent games. I also liked the the way mini-games were used in the game, the "RPG" aspect of the main heroine's career, and the idea of making the meaning of item and action icons change depending of context.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #19

John Walker is broken.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara100 View Post
John Walker is broken.

No idea who he is but he makes himself sound like a particularly spoilt child with that quotation: "Mommy, they're making games I don't like! Mommy, make them listen to me; i'm important aren't I mommy? Mommy, aren't I? Mommy , why isn't everyone like me? Mommy, make them all be like me or i'm going to scream. No I won't eat my vegetables mommy, they're yucky and anyone who likes them is yucky too. Waah Waah, if they won't make only the games I like then i'll act like a big baby waah waah""