You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I "hate" that game!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #41

I don't hate Syberia but I found it extreeemely boring. Runaway is, without a doubt, a good example of true hate!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #42

**SPOILERS** For Syberia I guess

OK, I replayed Syberia recently, and it reminded me again, why I hate a large number of adventure games. I love that game so much, so these flaws jump out at me even more. Namely, the fact that Kate starts to mess with things that has no context, the first being the factory machinery. It doesn't make any sense for her character.

Secondly, picking up random stuff, again, there's no need for many of the things until later in the game, and she just picks these things up(like the vodka bottle, which was needed much later in the game. It's not like her.). It holds true for a lot of adventure games and it irritates the hell out of me. It pulls me out of the experience. Trace Memory was awesome in that way as it didn't let you pick items up until you encountered the puzzle that required said item, giving it logical context. Why can't more adventure games be like that?

Then there are dialogue trees. My god, why do so many adventure games have to be like that? In almost every case, it causes conversations to happen, that disregards anything that was said before. Again, immersion destroyed. Wallace & Gromit had nice continuous dialogue.

Lastly, the little freedom that is given breaks the immersion....again. More specifically, at the beginning I managed to get into the cave, then a call came describing how mad Kate's boss was, then I went to the church and a call came from my boss, where he heard for the first time what was happening. How could he have been mad about something, that he didn't even know? Why give freedom to go somewhere, if it doesn't make sense to the story?

As you can tell, I'm all about story and I don't want anything to break it. If it means the game has to be super linear, so be it. Syberia for me brought so many flaws that I hate about adventure games together, that I couldn't ignore. In many cases, a game has just one or two of these things and I can live with that, but Syberia had them all. That's why I just "HATE" that game, but also love it.

Last edited by Tamiil; 12-05-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to put Spoilers warning
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #43
Pervect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiil View Post
...blah-blah-blah...

As you can tell, I'm all about story and I don't want anything to break it. If it means the game has to be super linear, so be it. Syberia for me brought so many flaws that I hate about adventure games together, that I couldn't ignore. In many cases, a game has just one or two of these things and I can live with that, but Syberia had them all. That's why I just "HATE" that game, but also love it.
No offence, mate, but why don't you read a goddamn book then?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzmandus View Post
You can't really compare gaming to reading a book, they are completely different experiences. The word "hate" is in quotes for a reason, despite everything I like gaming. This thread just presented a way to let off some steam
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #45

Quote:
This is a silly argument.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #46

I'm with Tamiil 100%. You couldn't have said it better. IMO This 'I'll take that because I could need it in the future' throws realism in the trash.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #47

I also agree with Orient - "Runaway: A Road Adventure is always a go-to title for my adventure-based hatred. Painfully unfunny. Horrific voice acting. Absurd puzzle logic."

Exactly my thoughts... the voices killed it for me, and the humour was just plain bad. I felt stupid after playing the game!
Also I have to add the game "Paradise" - this was such a boring, crappy game to play... after trying to play it for an hour... I gave up and ejected the disk.. then I snapped the fucker in two..
Old 12-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #48
Grue Master

There have been many games that I have been disappointed in especially in the last few years but this one that was much hyped in the magazines (before much Internet) was truly one that I disliked so much especially after waiting so long for its release...

Forever Worlds
Old 12-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #49

I tried to play The Dig three times including a recent Steam purchase. I can't get 1/4 of the way through. It's just boring. The story is boring, the characters are not invitive. The introduction chapter where you are in space working is just painfull. Sad because I heard the book is pretty dang good.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #50
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard View Post
Sad because I heard the book is pretty dang good.
Yeah, the book is great. The game had so much potential but all of the development problems it had took their toll, you can tell the final product is not what they originally set out to do and reading the book just further cements that.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #51

Hatred is too strong word for me, as I really don't feel that about any adventure I've played so far. Well, except for 15 days, maybe. But here are some titles that I'm almost certain I won't be playing again:
  • Mata Hari
  • Paradise
  • The Moment of Silence
  • Emerald City Confidential
  • Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual
  • Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
  • Alter Ego
  • NiBiRu: Age of Secrets

I would much easier defined my hatred toward a particular game character:

Male: detective Jack Stern from 15 days
Female: agent Nicole Bonnet from Art of Murder series
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 01-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #52

i hated Simon The Sorcerer 5. I got as far as the mole city and gave up on it because every word that came out of Simon's mouth made me want to stab my eardrums out with a cotton bud. Firstly, he's English so don't hire an American voice actor, and secondly, if you are going to hire an American voice actor, don't hire the most annoying sounding person in the whole of the US. Aside from Simon's voice acting, it seemed like everyone you spoke to yammered on for about 10 minutes about nothing interesting, so yep, hated it!

Also i know i'll be in the minority, but the first season of Sam and Max is sooooo boring! I've heard the 2nd and 3rd seasons are awesome but i can't bring myself to try them because the reviews of the first season were good too and i just find them utterly unfunny and dull.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcd2011 View Post
Also i know i'll be in the minority, but the first season of Sam and Max is sooooo boring! I've heard the 2nd and 3rd seasons are awesome but i can't bring myself to try them because the reviews of the first season were good too and i just find them utterly unfunny and dull.
im with you, felt the same way about strong bad too, and even BTTF to a certain extent.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcd2011 View Post
I'm with you. I played them but mostly because I felt obligated due to how special the game was as a young kid. They really needed to have more enviornment to interact with. Too little places to go. The humor was good and the majority of the characters were fun but there just isn't any content.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #55

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

One game that was a big disappointment, but even calling it a Broken Sword wannabe is too generous.....

Belief and Betrayal.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #56

Here's a game I am starting to hate (i'm really trying not to)...
"Momento Mori"..... But its not giving me much choice as it soooo boring.
I usually give most games a go even if its not grabing my attention but for Momento Mori the story (so far) is lame, the characters are plain and its just sooo slow to move around and do anything. I'm sorry but does anyone no if
this game picks up at all. (I have just finished the Museum section).
I might not Hate the game but I am certainly not liking it so far..
Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #57

it does have some good moments near the end, when it actually starts being a little less light on actual puzzles. The thing about it which is kinda clever is that there are i think 8 different endings to the game depending on how you solve puzzles or mess up puzzles although they're just different voice overs, nothing spectacular.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageGothic View Post
This is exactly how I feel about Myst.

I remember getting it when I bought my first PC in the late 90's. I bought it because of all the hype it had garnered. I had no idea how to get past even the first puzzle. Got frustrated, threw it in the trash and never looked back.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #59

Scratches for me, mostly because it's so overrated. If it hadn't been such a cult game then I probably would have just called it average and not been bothered but the way it gets talked up irks me a little.

How anyone can defend graphic design that leaves the entire game location too dark to see practically anything for large parts of the game I cannot fathom. At one point I spent about a minute trying to get through a door i had been through a hundred times before, not because it was hidden, but because it was just too dark to see the doorhandle! That isn't challenging, it's just annoying.

An awful lot of the gameplay seemed to revolve around using the telephone to phone up someone who would tell you what to do, and often it would be totally illogical how he would know anyway. Then, at the opposite extreme, there was the long periods with no hints as to how one should be progressing and nothing to work with (i'm somebody who finished Riven without a walkthrough by the way, i'm not an idiot when it comes to adventure games). At one point one is supposed to check the mailbox at a totally random time. I checked it dilligently every day for mail and there never was any. Finally, when you're not actually waiting for any anymore some turns up. Once it arrives your character suddenly totally changes his motivation and decides he absolutely must leave the house. Suddenly I could do a lot the things I had been fruitlessly trying to do because of this of this irrelevent game trigger. I hate that kind of thing in games: you're held back from doing the thing you obviously should be doing until the arbitrary time the game designer decides he's going to allow it. The whole game felt like being led step by step down a badly lit tunnel - graphically and metaphorically.

The story is much talked up but could have come from any Lovecraftian fan fiction. The 'shock' ending was shocking only for its predictability. It's the sort of game that people who don't read books describe as having a good story. The much heralded suspense only happens infrequently; the rest of the time you're just left stumblign cluelessly in the dark.

Of course, i'm emphasizing all of the bad things here and ignoring the fewer (but present) positive elements but that was the feeling the game left me with. All of its flaws just overpowered the good parts. I've played worse games for sure but none that left me witht he same level of frustration at poor design (graphical and gameplay).

I notice that the creator's next game is to be a Blackstone Chronicles knockoff... I don't think I will be going near it, despite my love for first person horror games.

I guess the only game I felt more strongly negative about was Still Life 2... but that is a game that gets almost universal derision (quite rightly) so I guess doesn't induce a rant so much.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #60

Never bothered to play Myst.
The only "Myst" like adventure I played was "Zork Nemesis", and although it wasn´t bad I lost interest very fast.

According to most forum members Scratches seems to be one of the best adventures of the last decade.

IMO it isn´t, not by a long shot.

I try to avoid using the terms under- and overrated, but in this case I have to stress the latter one.
The game did not manage to entertain nor scare me (except for one jump moment)
I just wanted to get over with it.
And that´s coming from one who likes the old spooky haunted mansion set-up.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series

Last edited by Tiocfaidh; 01-10-2011 at 06:57 PM.