You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I "hate" that game!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
No idea who he is
John Walker is one of the best known British journalists regularly writing about adventure games.

Not that I think this excuses treating Myst like that.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
Tea & Cookie Monster

Thought Sinking Island was ok, but I hated every time you got a phonecall from your wife.

You had clicked your way to where you had to be, maybe the far end of the island, then riiiiiiiing - you were back in your room in the hotel..., because he wanted to be private when on the phone. It didnt´matter that you were alone wherever you were, he still had to be "private" in the room.
Guess it would have been ok if the wife had something sensible or important to say, but she was just screaming hysterical nosense
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta View Post
I´m ther with you. Runaway is the worst of the lot. So bad that i avoided the sequels like the plague.
Out of all the adventure games I´ve played in the last 10 years Runaway is the one which I truly hated.

Codename:Iceman is the worst Sierra adventure of all time.

And though I haven´t played Still Life 2 myself, the playthrough videos posted on youtube reinforce all the bad reviews I´ve read over the years.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #24

I would agree with John Walker about Myst, except for the fact that I do not consider Myst to be an Adventure Game, but rather a Puzzle Game, and therefore it doesn't bother me that I don't care for it or the clones. I can cheerfully accept that others totally like that type of game and I am happy for them. For those who like the challenges of fiddling with some lever one place and finding out what happens somewhere else, and messing with other levers and switches and whatever together to make things work, it can be a blast, but that's not me! Peace.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #25
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Treasure Quest. Not even my childhood crush on Terry Farrell managed to make the game bearable.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #26
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Of all the games currently in my collection, only these titles so far are deserving of my "violent hatred" , mainly due to a combination of qualities that push my dislike into "irredeemable" status: horrendous voice acting, inane dialogue, crappy visuals, maddening timed sequences, preposterous story, annoying characters.

Jack Orlando: Director's Cut (Horrible animation, hostile characters everywhere Jack went, much of the inventory consisted of literal garbage picked up off the street! I liked Harold Faltermeyer's soundtrack, though.)
Simon the Sorcerer 3D (Butt-ugly 3D characters and stupid arcade sequences )
Legacy: Dark Shadows (I'll never be able to get that "You don't look like a burglar to me" song out of my head. Ack! )
The Hardy Boys: The Hidden Theft (Already given away. Thank you! )

I don't normally use walkthroughs, but I had them handy just so I could finish these awful games as quickly as possible! (Yes, I'm a masochist, so I made myself finish them instead of simply uninstalling them!) Also, if anyone wants to take these games off my hands, please let me know!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
Treasure Quest. Not even my childhood crush on Terry Farrell managed to make the game bearable.
I wonder if you'd have changed your mind if you had won million dollars
Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #28

Diskworld. That game was as hard as polar bear poo. I tried to play it for weeks and got nowhere. I seem to recall it frisbee'd it's way to freedom from the window of the school bus...
Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #29
Off to Room no.99

Runaway: A Road Adventure is always a go-to title for my adventure-based hatred. Painfully unfunny. Horrific voice acting. Absurd puzzle logic.[/QUOTE]

Whaaaat Runaway is the greatest!!! So is KQ5!!!! And to whoever said GK3 - blasphemy!!

For me I just tried to play Nancy Drew: Haunted Castle of Malloy and found it unplayable. Stupid puzzles everywhere pain in the bum controlling and just because I die it types "fatal error" in huge letters on the screen. That scared the bejeesus out of me!

I really didn't enjoy the Space Quest or Police Quest series but I think that's just me personally cos heaps of people like them and I like most Sierra games.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #30

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Liked the game, but DAMN those game over-inducing dialogues!

Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth - Again, loved the game, but some puzzles are overly bound to that crazy world logic

I Misteri di Maggia - Come on, how can one seriously get his bearings there...

6 Days a Sacrifice - This game is impossible to follow

Universe - What an ugly action system, and hate those arcade parts

Operation Stealth - Same as above (cool game otherwise)

Runaway - Differently from many others, loved the game --but hate the characters (both the design and their personalities)
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #31
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
I wonder if you'd have changed your mind if you had won million dollars
Even the game's $1.000.000 contest was a disappointment, but supposing it was legit and I'd won, I'd probably look back on the money and time spent with the game with less regret, though it wouldn't make it suck any less.

Soundtrack wasn't bad though.

Last edited by Gonchi; 11-26-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #32
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
Jack Orlando: Director's Cut (Horrible animation, hostile characters everywhere Jack went, much of the inventory consisted of literal garbage picked up off the street! I liked Harold Faltermeyer's soundtrack, though.)
heh but, this game is so bad its novel. It'll constantly have you wondering "are they trying to be funny?" I dont regret having played it, its just so weird and constantly borders between hilarious and awful, that i actually really like the game somehow.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #33
Grue Master

Gonchi

Treasure Quest was the first game I ever played and because of it I fell in love with adventure games. It wasn't that I was good at the game, far from it. What I loved was the "thinking" involved and the note taking. I kept my notes with me at all times and whenever I had a few minutes at work or where ever I would study them to try and figure things out. I fell in love with the process. Of course I didn't get anywhere in the few weeks of playing it. The game was made not to win but it was beaten by a school teacher but wasn't paid on a cheap technicality. Read about it here...

Quote:
The "outcome" of this game is steeped in controversy.

Paul Wigowsky of Woodburn, Oregon submitted the "Tree of Life" solution with the 10 room quotes on May 31, 1996. Wigowsky was a schoolteacher and a student of esoteric teachings. He immediately recognized that the design of the 10-room mansion with the 22 connections between the rooms was the same identical design that he had seen in books on the Hebrew Kabbalah with the 10 Sephira and 22 paths (also 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet). It was afterwards admitted by the producer of the game that this quester was indeed the first to submit the correct solution; however, the player was disqualified on the technicality that he did not put the required registration number in the upper right hand corner of the submission (as required by the rules of the game).

Shortly afterwards, Sirius Publishing released a statement that the $1 million prize was won. They posted the solution to the game on their website. A person by the name of P. Dreizen of San Francisco, California, won the game and the cash prize in May 1998. It was speculated that the person "P. Dreizen" is actually an anagram of "End Prize." Many of the people that collaborated online wonder why the person never showed up to discussions or participated in the chat rooms. They believed a game of such complexity couldn't be solved alone.

Others questioned the validity of the final solution, stating that the amount of typos, missing words and misquotes in the game made it impossible to beat. In July of 1999, the case was settled for an undisclosed amount.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #34
Adventure Game Elitist

Really, you started gaming with Treasure Quest?

I was aware of how the contest turned out, that why I called it disappointing. I doubt they would of actually awarded anyone the prize.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #35
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta View Post
I´m ther with you. Runaway is the worst of the lot. So bad that i avoided the sequels like the plague.
Heheh, same here dude
Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #36
Knights Templar

I have always found 'The Longest Journey' hugely over-rated. I don't 'hate' it as such, i'm just a bit baffled by the praise for such an unpolished game.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #37
Knights Templar

and obviously Simon The Sorcerer 3D - one of the worst computer games I have ever played - this coming from a huge fan of the first two games.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #38
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFuss View Post
Gonchi

Treasure Quest was the first game I ever played and because of it I fell in love with adventure games. It wasn't that I was good at the game, far from it. What I loved was the "thinking" involved and the note taking. I kept my notes with me at all times and whenever I had a few minutes at work or where ever I would study them to try and figure things out. I fell in love with the process. Of course I didn't get anywhere in the few weeks of playing it. The game was made not to win but it was beaten by a school teacher but wasn't paid on a cheap technicality. Read about it here...
I don't understand the "cheap technicality" crack. The rules were in black-and-white. Everyone who enters contests knows that if you don't cross your t's and dot your i's, you're likely to be disqualified.

And, for what it's worth, I know the winner (P. Dreizen) quite well; we had breakfast in San Francisco a few years ago. She very much exists, and she IS active on fora, but uses a handle. This is because she's smart enough to know that the more publicity she gets, the more likely she'd be to have strangers and distant relatives hitting her up for money.

Josh
Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #39

Out of sheer curiosity, I picked up the RHEM Trilogy and finally gave them a go. I LOVED Myst and Riven, and I had already known there was not much in the story department and that the graphics are a tad outdated for a series made post 2000. I was fine with that.

I'll have to put this trilogy at the top of my "Hate that game" list. The unnecessary running back and forth, labyrinth like layout, and the horrible antenna puzzle of 1 was just terrible. 2 started out SO DAMN GOOD, then you get to the second part of the game, and it's like riding a roller-coaster and it suddenly hits a brick wall killing everyone. Then 3 (look behind the door: THE GAME!) with that "translation" puzzle (seriously, you let us take pictures of the book contents but you CANNOT take a picture of the actual image you need to solve it? Why even include this feature at all?), and the door unlock codes puzzle. ugh, I hand wrote out 2 parts of the code and finally realized it was just too damn frustrating. Turned off the game, un-installed.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #40
Stalker of Britain

I agree-Rhem is my most hated game, Syberia my most "I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so awesome" game.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes