You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 999: 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #21

"2011 isn't here yet, and already you've played the best adventure game of that year? That's must be disappointing."

NOT AT ALL - NO disappointment here in any way at all. This game is THAT GOOD. Best adventure game I've played since Hotel Dusk.

Best adventure game of 2011 for 999 for the games that I will play is a prediction and a darn good prediction too.

Rave reviews for this game are common and well deserved:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure...l?subj=6284971

If you like adventure games - get a Dsi XL - solid performance and great graphics.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #22
Schattenjäger

Hm okay, im totally finished with this game now. Overall i liked it. But the story is way too convoluted. Lots of interesting concepts... and really i loved the music. But i was not happy with the true ending... they get so caught up with trying to create a mind-blowing reveal that they lose track of whats going on and it feels thrown together and senseless.
But the game was epic.... i dont regret playing it.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #23

I just finished all the 5 ending,
this game is awesome with enough replayability,
If you have DS i would recommend to get this game.

On the true ending i wonder:

Spoiler:
Who is that lady standing in the middle of the desert ? Is it ALICE ?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
Schattenjäger

the creators have actually commented on that and...

Spoiler:
Yes, that is supposed to be allice. Which is one of the things that bugs the hell out of me. She somehow escaped the real ship before it sank, and then for some reason she comes to the desert facility? and hitchhikes? That seriously needed some more explanation...
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
the creators have actually commented on that and...

Spoiler:
Yes, that is supposed to be allice. Which is one of the things that bugs the hell out of me. She somehow escaped the real ship before it sank, and then for some reason she comes to the desert facility? and hitchhikes? That seriously needed some more explanation...
I see, hehe.. they probably doing this just for fun
now moving on to my next game, Ghost Trick

btw i'm surprised not much discussion about DS adventure game in this forum,
i wonder if it's only a handful of people who play DS in here ?
(also adventuregamer hasn't reviewed this game yet)

999 alone, spark more than hundred threads on other gaming forum, discussing about character, ending, path taken etc..etc..:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/96135...ons-nine-doors

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure...351&pid=961351
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #26
Schattenjäger

yeah this forum definitely focuses more on pc adventures (particularly of the traditional point-and-click variety), but theres plenty of people here who play adventures of all kinds. And i was thinking about maybe starting a ghost trick thread, im definitely looking forward to that game!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #27

Default Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors

Amazing game AG needs to review.

Picture a combination of Phoenix Wright and Saw, and that is 999.

Easily 5/5 for me.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #28
Schattenjäger

The creators recently posted Q&A responses on the main page, they repsonded to alot of questions (over 70) and it shines some light into their thought process. Im sad to say though the more time goes by the more i really dont like the overall story of 999 and reading about how they came up with the story confirms this for me. It couldv been alot better. Id probably rate the game 3 or 3.5 stars on that scale.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #29
Filmfreak

*bump*

Just got this game last week. I had to import it since it hasn't been released in Europe as far as I know, and boy am I glad I did!

I just got my first ending last night (the one with the submarine) and it didn't tell me jack. So now I'm even more eager to delve back in...

This game has been awesome at every turn, and for now it's blowing every game I've played since Mass Effect 2 and the first Phoenix Wright game away.

For the moment, 999 is so insanely great, that it's destined to become one of my all-time favourites!!!

The downside is that I really have to refrain myself from checking out spoilers cause I simply can't get enough...

Game of the year, imo.

Last edited by TimovieMan; 11-30-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-2011, 03:58 AM   #30

One of the first replay games for me in 2012 is 999. I want more endings. The 3Ds is here and is getting some adventure games. It was released with a new layton game and it was the best seller on the system when it launched in Japan. However, the DS still has quite a few more years and good games in it. Captain Morgane is scheduled for a February release for example.

I just finished playing Prof Layton and the Curious village. Great story - good character development through the game too. The combination of a great story and interesting characters kept me going in that one.

Now I've got one Layton game left to play - Prof Layton and the Unbound Future.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 11-30-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #31
Filmfreak

Finished it last night. Awesome game. Had to play it six times to get the 5 different endings I needed.

I consulted a spoiler-free walkthrough to get the door-combinations for the different endings after my second playthrough gave me the exact same ending as my first one (despite choosing different doors each time). Apart from that, it's one of the very few games where I didn't consult a walkthrough at all when stuck. Instead I gritted my teeth and went over every location again until I found what I'd missed...
While that may not sound spectacular, it is to me, and it goes to show how great a game this is.

The true ending also ended up being a serious mindfuck, which is often a plus as it was here.

At the very end, there was a very 'WTF?'-type of cliffhanger, but since there's a sequel in the works (*grumble* for the blasted 3DS *sassafrassarassum*), I wouldn't be surprised if even that has an explanation...

Definitely my favourite game of the year, and imho the second best DS game of all time (after Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney). I loved 999!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #32
Headbanger

I'm also getting this one imported. Hopefully it will be as good as most people say.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #33
Psychonaut

I totally can't get into this game. It's waaaay too wordy in the first room and it puts me off it.

I could have got out of that room in about 5 mins, but even though the room was flooding with water it takes about 30 mins to explain the simplest concepts.

grrrhhhhh
Old 12-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #34

999 is a little slow and wordy at first, then it does move more quickly after that. It is well worth sticking with - the game gets better as you play it. Later in the game it gets so good you don't want to put it down.

I have a 3DS and an Dsi XL - I do know more adventure games are coming out for the Dsi and the 3DS will be getting quite a few too.

I really like the third Ace Attorney game - stunning achievement in gaming - worth every penny I paid for it.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 12-12-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekelly View Post
999 is quite wordy at first, then it becomes more action orientated after that.
If you mean after the first room, I guess you are right (what a bad beginning for a game!). But I think it is fair to say the game is really wordy, the endings in particular being incredibly long. I wouldn't use the word "action" either...

It does get much better, with the final story being quite amazing, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like reading too much.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #36
Schattenjäger

The game is classified as a visual novel for a reason. Expect wordy.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #37

The problem is the DS itself. ALL adventure games are very wordy on it. The carts can only hold so much data - so text is used quite a bit.

The 3DS Carts store alot more information so adventure games on it use speech instead of text. The graphics are much more state of the art too.

For a 7 year old system the DS has great graphics and games - I myself have gotten used to reading the text - kinda like playing adventure games on the Amiga Comp way back when.

I've played many PC to DS conversions - on the PC, you had speech -- but on the DS you get text instead. Some PC conversions are spot on - While others are rewritten to take advantage of the DS touch screen capabilities - which I actually like quite a bit also.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 12-12-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: add more information.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #38
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
I totally can't get into this game. It's waaaay too wordy in the first room and it puts me off it.

I could have got out of that room in about 5 mins, but even though the room was flooding with water it takes about 30 mins to explain the simplest concepts.

grrrhhhhh
If you're already complaining about too much reading IN the first room, then it's bound to get a whole lot worse. The bulk of the reading comes immediately AFTER the first room, so it'll get worse before it'll get better.

The writing is good, though, and what you read will become important later on. But you'll be reading more than you'll be actually playing, so if that's not your thing, you'll definitely be disappointed.

When playing for all the endings you'll have a grand total of 16 rooms to get out of, and one sudoku to solve. The rest is reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekelly View Post
I really like the third Ace Attorney game - stunning achievement in gaming - worth every penny I paid for it.
Did you play all of them?

Imo: PW1 > PW3 >>>> PW2 > AJ > ME

The first one's the allround best game imo, but the third gets a special mention because I think that's the best written game of the lot. The twist after the first case (that immediately lead to the second) was pure genius!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #39

"Did you play all of them?

Imo: PW1 > PW3 >>>> PW2 > AJ > ME"

I did. I liked the third one the best however. And because I was trying to be cheap with buying games, IE buying them when they had been out for a while I paid bank for the third one. Over all, I did well, I got some best selling games for half their origonal price, but the third Ace Attorney game cost me $$$$ for a copy. The good news was, I loved it - great game and my fave of the five big time.

Some really great adventure games - like 999 I picked up 1st day they came out and was glad to pay full price for. Another was Broken Sword DC - that was a WoW too and Ghost Trick. Another game I paid $$$$ for was Last Window and Secret Files 2 because I imported them.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 12-15-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #40
Filmfreak

@ Mikekelly: I was going to reply here about the Phoenix Wright games, but that would've taken the thread further off-topic, so I decided to *bump* an old Ace Attorney Series thread instead.

That said: 999 is still my favourite game of the year!

See what I did there?