Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gray Matter Reactions (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28038-gray-matter-reactions.html)

M-E 02-09-2011 11:26 AM

Wow, I thought the Xbox 360 version would be release at the end of February, but I will already receive it tomorrow. I hope they did some fixing though.

Origami 02-09-2011 01:36 PM

I am a lover for original well told stories. I am also an amateur magician and loved GK1.

If I found great enjoyment in Lost Horizon, with it's probable inferior story, will this game rock my socks?!

Lol...I think I shouldn't hype myself up.

valypan 02-10-2011 01:59 AM

Gray Matter: First Impressions disappointing

I am currently playing Gray Matter and just completed Chapter 3, so no spoilers please!
I just wanted to share my first impressions so far and would like to hear from people who are playing or have finished playing Gray Matter (again no spoilers . I had enormous high expectations for this game and I must say I have been let down. The story and the characters are fantastic and are fully meeting my expectations, staying true to Jane Jensen´s reputation, however the game is a disappointment. First of all it´s so easy it´s just a mild cut above an hidden object game, then there are not enough items to click on or locations to visit and finally each chapter is painfully short. Is this a lack of budget? Or are adventure gamers now being dumbed down in order to attract the Hidden Object players? I can not believe it would be a lack of budget as surely Jane Jensen must get a very high budget considering her status in the adventure community. She herself has admitted that she made the game more approachable, which I guess translates into "dummer game in order to increase sales".
The adventure community might not be as successful as others but it has been thriving for a few years now, so I can´t see why Jane Jensen could not deliver a game worthy of her name. Hidden object players are supposed to move towards adventure gaming, not the other way around!
What are your impressions?

diego 02-10-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valypan (Post 571730)
Hidden object players are supposed to move towards adventure gaming, not the other way around!

Well, that's interesting theme to think of. It's also significant to what you're used to. But if someone never played an adventure game and plays casual game, will he/she be able to adopt more complex gameplay and puzzles? Or is it easier to seasoned adventure game player to play casual game?

And another question that comes to mind - are adventure games becoming casual, or is it vice versa? I don't really know the answer, but there are some things that are obvious. For example, full-fledged adventure games more and more incorporate in-game hints, or puzzles that are related only to one locations, more and more linear gameplay etc. However, casual games more and more tend to "distance" or disguise their origins of pure hidden object finding, and more and more incorporate things like inventory, though-out story, puzzles that require you to visit several locations or combine items, dialogs etc.

So, the real answer might be somewhere in the middle.

valypan 02-10-2011 04:35 AM

Diego: I certainly welcome a merging of adventure and casual gaming in order to appeal to a wider audience and thus helping adventure games to thrive, however we are talking about the most anticipated and probably most widely revered adventure games author. If she can not or will not deliver a challenging, engaging and extensive adventure game, who will? If the merging of the two genres will result in easier , less-challenging and shorter adventure games, we might as well have killed the genre and just go back to playing scrabble...I realize I sound quite bitter, but I must say the disappointment of Gray Matter stings quite deeply. Given the complex story and characters, this game could have had the scope of Gabriel Knight and more, but what I am playing now is a little more than a short interactive story...

diego 02-10-2011 05:21 AM

well, as this article on Hidden Object games which i recommend says:

"Trends do pass, but we’re only at the beginning of this one, and even when it finally subsides, I suspect the genre won’t ever be the same. Not dead… but not the same."

So, if we're talking about merging of casual and traditional adventure games, then we're speaking also of merging the two markets, which means developers and publishers will try to please the both groups. That leads us to "easier" difficulty of course, when comparing it to the classics. About Jane Jensen, she actually did some casual games before the Gray Matter so it should not come as surprise. And you really can't blame her or publishers for their desire for their product to reach wider audience.

I see "heroes" of adventure gaming in these "troubled times" in everyone who tries to keep the spark of golden adventure gaming in a way. Puzzles, creative puzzles are one of the things that lack the most today. Going blindly into the "Heavy Rain" territory seems like the "easy way" today for developers and publishers. It seems like it's easier to come up with the story than rich gameplay and puzzles. Another proof of that is that we see less and less Myst-like and traditional puzzle oriented games.

On the other hand, "casual invasion" certainly shaked the mainstream gaming and accented the non-action gameplay in the tradition of adventure games. As for me, success of casual games is just another proof of how "immortal" basic adventure game elements are, or interactive storytelling. I'll quote Roberta Williams from this interview:

"I believe that the 'true' adventure game genre will never die any more than any type of storytelling would ever die. Sometimes, I think that something 'new' may come along for awhile and take away attention from longer, story-oriented genres, like movies took attention away from books for awhile, and TV took attention away from movies for awhile. Things like that."

and this

"Adventure games "as we know it" are dead. What does that mean? Does that mean "text" adventure games with text input; story, puzzles, no art, no animation, no music, no sound, no spoken dialog? Does that mean "picture book" adventure games with more advanced text input; story, puzzles, no animation, no music, no sound, no spoken dialog? Does that mean "2D worlds with cut screen shots" with icon bar input; story, puzzles, limited animation, limited music, limited sound, no spoken dialog? Does that mean "2D worlds with cut screen shots and limited short 'cartoons' or 'movies' with icon bar input; story, puzzles, better animation, better music, better sound, limited spoken dialog? Does that mean "2D worlds with lots more cut screen shots and more short 'cartoons/movies' with 'point and click' input; better story, easier puzzles, great animation, great music, great sound, lots of spoken dialog? Do you see a trend here in all of this?"

So, maybe that "something new" could be casual games and the merging of two is just another step in "evolution".

valypan 02-10-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 571744)

So, if we're talking about merging of casual and traditional adventure games, then we're speaking also of merging the two markets, which means developers and publishers will try to please the both groups. That leads us to "easier" difficulty of course, when comparing it to the classics. About Jane Jensen, she actually did some casual games before the Gray Matter so it should not come as surprise. And you really can't blame her or publishers for their desire for their product to reach wider audience.

So, maybe that "something new" could be casual games and the merging of two is just another step in "evolution".

I am afraid we are not talking about the merging of two markets, because in order to have a merger, both markets should stand on equal footing, which they don´t. Hidden Object games are vastly more popular than "classic" adventure games, so what we are seeing now is adventure games accommodating to hidden object games. Personally I don´t even mind that, but then at least give the option for different difficulty levels for people like me who have been playing adventure games forever and do not much care for hidden object or easier puzzles. Yes Jane Jensen has been doing a lot in the casual game department, but I did not expect her or the developers to bring her new adventure game down to a more approachable level. I mean we are talking about the author of Gabriel Knight here: the creme de la creme of adventure gaming. At least that should be kept intact for adventure gamers. This is not a transition like from 2D to 3D: this undermines the very reasons people play adventure games: puzzles, a well-developed world to immerse yourself into, challenging quests, etc. If we are going to miss all this, then I don´t see the reason to play adventure games anymore.

diego 02-10-2011 08:10 AM

Well, i certainly agree about the need for better and more difficult puzzles.

Jane Jensen might be the game designer here, but it's one thing working with Sierra then, and another with a new team today. She also might not be responsible for all choices about the game or puzzle design.

I think it comes to what the goals are of developer and publisher. That's why you can every day find a brand new traditional independent adventure game if you visit AGS site for example, because they are rid of commercial issues.

Also, there're a lot of companies that emphasizes traditional gameplay even the adoption of some new trends are inevitable.

valypan 02-10-2011 08:13 AM

Diego: Have you played Gray Matter to the end? Do things get better/harder after chapter 3 or what I am getting now is what I will be getting throughout the game?

diego 02-10-2011 08:18 AM

No, i put it aside for now. I hope puzzles are getting more difficult towards the end.

fov 02-10-2011 08:25 AM

Funny, I thought the first two chapters felt long. But around chapter 4 is where I thought the story started to get really interesting, so I wouldn't say that "what you're getting now is what you'll be getting throughout the game."

That said, if you're not enjoying it by now, I don't know that you'll suddenly start enjoying it.

Gabe 02-10-2011 11:39 AM

I found this game too much old school and if want to play old school ag i play the originals again,why bother with inconsistencies of second hand experiences.

Origami 02-10-2011 02:13 PM

^
Is it me or does that post throw logic out of the window?

aimless 02-10-2011 05:35 PM

If you mean, did it make sense, no. Not to me, anyway.

millenia 02-11-2011 01:08 AM

I don't think Gray Matter gets much "harder" in the later chapters but it definitely gets better. And I think there is more to do, so it probably gives at least a tad more challenge than the first chapters.

Even though the game was on the easier side it didn't feel as easy as many other recent games (Memento Mori for example). And personally I enjoyed the puzzles, they were realistic, logical, interesting and fun.

Vel 02-11-2011 05:14 AM

I, for one, although being a 'seasoned' adventure gamer, would certainly prefer a game with easier puzzles that are all the same logical (as in Gray Matter), than one with 'harder' puzzles that are there just so that they impede the story, thus making the game longer. Let's face it - having an inventory with 50 items, taking everything that 'isn't nailed down' and zany solutions are not the way forward. And it's no wonder such are not appealing to gamers nowadays.

That being said, I certainly had fun with Gray Matter, the puzzles weren't hard, but they were, more importantly, varied. I never felt bored during the 10-12 hours I played that game. And that's more than I can say for, say, Monkey Island 2. =)

UPtimist 02-11-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-E (Post 571658)
Wow, I thought the Xbox 360 version would be release at the end of February, but I will already receive it tomorrow. I hope they did some fixing though.

Please post what you think about the interface! I'd love to get it for the XBox but I'm really worried if the interface stinks.

M-E 02-12-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist (Post 571851)
Please post what you think about the interface! I'd love to get it for the XBox but I'm really worried if the interface stinks.

Well, I've played the game for about 2 hours now and the interface hasn't really improved since the demo. It's a bit clunky, but after a while I got used to it. But consindered the fact I can now play an adventure game from my bed instead of sitting in a desk chair I can live with it's few flaws.

Besides that the game is great! I love the atmosphere and the puzzles. One thing I disliked about a lot of third-person adventures (I'm more of a first-person adventure freak) is the fact that the puzzles are so illogical. Compared to that Gray Matter is really a breath of fresh air, which makes me love the game even more. No more cutting rubber chickens to pieces and then letting a monkey glue it together to create a helmet. :D

charmed23 02-14-2011 09:27 PM

where can I preorder the Xbox version in the US?
I couldnt find it anywhere :|

M-E 02-16-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed23 (Post 572254)
where can I preorder the Xbox version in the US?
I couldnt find it anywhere :|

The Xbox version is still not out, February 25 it will be (I dunno if that's for US too).

I have a French version though, which is totally in English. Wouldn't know if it's region free.

Edit: Finished the game. It was fun, but not as great as it could have been. In my opinion the ending was quite bad.

Danny_HR 02-18-2011 02:08 AM

The ending was terrible.

The game, overall is good, not great but not dissappointing either.
I found it fun at times, dull at others, but i did not regret getting it.

But they should have done something better with the ending, they could.

Trexxie 03-01-2011 11:23 AM

I have just begun playing this eagerly awaited game and I must admit that the magical tricks are as annoying as hell...and there are to many hints - the hotspots key?
Do not like it. I love Gabriel Knight - he is one of my fav characters, not to mention the games...love them.
Dissapointed so far... :(

Isak 03-01-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexxie (Post 573827)
I have just begun playing this eagerly awaited game and I must admit that the magical tricks are as annoying as hell...and there are to many hints - the hotspots key?
Do not like it. I love Gabriel Knight - he is one of my fav characters, not to mention the games...love them.
Dissapointed so far... :(

QUE?! I love the magic trick "puzzles". I'm playing the game for Xbox, dunno if there is any difference?
Why do people keep compare Gabriel Knight with Gray Matter? Sure, it's the same writer but what the hell? The story's are completely different and they are different games, they don't belong to each other at all, except that it is the same writer.
It's like comparing a great novelist different books, like Haruk Murakami for example; they can differ a lot even though it's the same writer. :shifty:
It's NOT THE SAME GAME!

Trexxie 03-01-2011 12:53 PM

@Isak - there was no puzzle with magic tricks, so that is annoying to me- it's all written down. G.Knight & this game are from the same writer...so that's why people had very, very high expectations.

I am at Ch.2 now - it seems like a good story though, but I was expecting that from Jensen.

inm8#2 03-01-2011 02:55 PM

I recently finished this and would like to post more detailed thoughts at a later time, but I absolutely loved the game. Great story, interesting characters, and wonderful atmosphere.

The negative comments aren't invalid, but people need to be grateful this game was even released. Some expected the Citizen Kane of adventure games. There are technical and gameplay-related shortcomings, but don't put that on Jensen or the team behind the game. Whatever they had money and resources to do, they did as well as they could.

P.S. - I enjoyed the cutscenes. They both fit and set the mood very well in my opinion.

kuze 03-01-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 573832)
It's like comparing a great novelist different books, like Haruki Murakami for example; they can differ a lot even though it's the same writer. :shifty:
It's NOT THE SAME GAME!

OT: Actually, their style is very much alike.

Isak 03-01-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexxie (Post 573835)
@Isak - there was no puzzle with magic tricks, so that is annoying to me- it's all written down. G.Knight & this game are from the same writer...so that's why people had very, very high expectations.

I see what you mean, and I DO understand that people have high expectations, because I understand that the GK series are great games. However, I don't understand what's wrong with Gray Matter?
Maybe it's not like GK at all, but why do people think the game isn't enjoyable?
By the way, sorry if sounding harsh in my first reply to you - it wasn't my intention, just a litte over-excited about the topic! :frusty: on me :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 573842)
P.S. - I enjoyed the cutscenes. They both fit and set the mood very well in my opinion.

I agree - brilliant cutscenes, and somewhat original and refreshing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze (Post 573844)
OT: Actually, their style is very much alike.

Maybe some books, like Dance x3, A Wild Sheep Chase, Wind up bird and Kafka... But have you red "Norwegian Wood", and especially the novel "Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world"? Those two differ a lot. Also, his short stories (especially the early ones) are a lot different from his usual style.
So I don't see the point in always, and I mean ALWAYS, comparing titles by the same author. Just because it's the same author, doesn't mean the books/games/movies/whatever are or need to be very alike. ;)

I say Gray Matter is good, even though the game differs a lot from, at least the third GK game (the only one I played).
Not at all like the GK game(s) but still a great game!

inm8#2 03-01-2011 04:58 PM

Gamespot says 7/10. Given their consistent 4 or 5 out of 10 rating of virtually every adventure game, it's a good score.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...er/review.html

C_Knight 03-01-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny_HR (Post 572603)
The ending was terrible.

The game, overall is good, not great but not dissappointing either.
I found it fun at times, dull at others, but i did not regret getting it.

But they should have done something better with the ending, they could.

+1 I felt the same. I really enjoyed the puzzle rooms in the Daedalus Club and thought it was one of the better chapters, but I felt short shafted and wanted more.

Kazmajik 03-02-2011 06:58 AM

Finally got the box in my hand last night! I remember anticipating this game back in 2004 when it was first announced, and now I finally have it. I'm 90% of the way through Chapter One, and so far I like it. I'm intrigued and can't wait to see what happens next. The animation is a little off-putting, but I won't let it ruin the game for me.

What I really want to rant about is how I was robbed of the communal experience I was looking forward to with this game. By releasing it the way thay did, there was a long period of time when the game was available in many places, and lots of people were talking about it, but it wasn't available where I was. In searching for more information about its release, I had to be careful lest I stumble across any spoilers. I wasn't always successful in this, and that lessened the game right there. I hope for the next game it gets released simultaneously everywhere. Okay, end of rant. Back to the game!

Dwagginz 03-03-2011 03:47 AM

I picked it up on Monday, and I've only finished chapter one, but my first impressions are nothing short of glowing.

I do have some issues, such as the animations, but overall it's been a positive experience for me.

marvio 03-03-2011 10:22 AM

Maybe I'm just dumb, but didn't the ending left a lot un-explained?

I played this game in two short bursts, but there was a gap of a week between them, so maybe I just forgot about something which happened in the first half of the game that explains the ending?

I remember being very excited throughout the game, the story was developing very nicely, but right at the end, and I mean the very end, everything just falls appart.

Little disappointed.

Also, I didn't mind the cut scenes through the game, but the later half, specially in the deadalus club, and the last one, I feel it would be better served if they were fully animated. I didn't mind the magic tricks at all, I have no idea why they were there, but didn't mind it; It was just way too easy, correction, for something to be easy it still has to pose some kind of challenge, the magic tricks were actually no challenge at all! Everything was spelled out for you, even bolded, all you had to do was to point and click your way through, pointless, but fast enough that I didn't find it annoying.

Is it to early still for spoilers? I really want to ask the questions about the end of the game...

grayscavenger 03-03-2011 10:49 AM

This is the best game I have played since Gabriel Knight 3. (Fitting, I suppose) I live in Spain so I had to play with Spanish text so some of the puzzles were weird...but still awesome.

I for one loved the ending...
Spoiler:
I really liked how the ending left it open for you to think, but it wasn't so open that you were cursing at the screen.
I think one of the mistakes they made was that Angela's Scottish accent is way too obvious in the flashback...they could have made her voice deep or something..

What saddens me is that this adventure was probably supposed to be for Gabriel Knight because I remember Jane Jensen saying that Gabriel's next adventure would be about a haunting and Gray Matter deals with it.
And Gabriel and Grace, especially Grace, were much much better characters than Samantha and Dr. Styles.

Any thoughts about what supernatural thing the sequel will talk about? Bride of Frankenstein seems to imply bringing back the dead. Can you really find that much pseudoscience about bringing back the dead? I wonder...

marvio 03-03-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayscavenger (Post 573949)
This is the best game I have played since Gabriel Knight 3. (Fitting, I suppose) I live in Spain so I had to play with Spanish text so some of the puzzles were weird...but still awesome.

I for one loved the ending...
Spoiler:
I really liked how the ending left it open for you to think, but it wasn't so open that you were cursing at the screen.
I think one of the mistakes they made was that Angela's Scottish accent is way too obvious in the flashback...they could have made her voice deep or something..

What saddens me is that this adventure was probably supposed to be for Gabriel Knight because I remember Jane Jensen saying that Gabriel's next adventure would be about a haunting and Gray Matter deals with it.
And Gabriel and Grace, especially Grace, were much much better characters than Samantha and Dr. Styles.

Any thoughts about what supernatural thing the sequel will talk about? Bride of Frankenstein seems to imply bringing back the dead. Can you really find that much pseudoscience about bringing back the dead? I wonder...

Hummm...

Really? I thought the ending was just flat, and didn't really leave anything to the imagination, which I would be fine with me, but left huge plot holes.

millenia 03-03-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvio (Post 573951)
Hummm...

Really? I thought the ending was just flat, and didn't really leave anything to the imagination, which I would be fine with me, but left huge plot holes.

Spoiler:
It was left unclear how much of the stuff was because of Angela and how much because of Laura. It was only a few things but for those who want to believe that Laura was with Styles the whole time helping him it is certainly a possibility while others can interpret it so that there really was no ghost at all, only Angela and Styles' memories.

The plot itself was cleared up pretty good and I didn't find it so disappointing. I wasn't amazed or in love with the ending but I really don't get all the hate either.

marvio 03-03-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenia (Post 573957)
[spoiler]It was left unclear how much of the stuff was because of Angela and how much because of Laura. It was only a few things but for those who want to believe that Laura was with Styles the whole time helping him it is certainly a possibility while others can interpret it so that there really was no ghost at all, only Angela and Styles' memories.[/spoilr]e

The plot itself was cleared up pretty good and I didn't find it so disappointing. I wasn't amazed or in love with the ending but I really don't get all the hate either.

Spoiler:
Was there anything in the story that would lead you to believe this was anything but Angela screwing with Styles? I certainly didn't catch it? Here's my main problem. Why Angela? How did Styles knew her father? What's the connection there? Like I said, maybe I just totally missed something?

Even if those were explained, still is a rather flat/anti-cliamatic ending for a story which could have gone somewhere very interesting.

Isak 03-03-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvio (Post 573965)
Spoiler:
Was there anything in the story that would lead you to believe this was anything but Angela screwing with Styles? I certainly didn't catch it? Here's my main problem. Why Angela? How did Styles knew her father? What's the connection there? Like I said, maybe I just totally missed something?

Spoiler:

I also found the ending somewhat disappointing. It ended to quick. First of all, I can accept that Angela was the "bad guy" but, as you said, there was way way way to little involvement in the story to make this scenario convincing. It was like "what"?
I though we were going to see deeper development with the paranormal stuff. And shouldn't Styles be a lot more depressed about how Angela only fooled him to believe Laura was coming back? After Angela dies, he just sits with the group and talking, like nothing really important have happened. I mean, shouldn't he be depressed? Like reeeeallly depressed. He was obsessed with Laura, and have been convinced she could bring her back - the he finds out Angela is behind it all and he reacts like he does? What?
So a top notch story, and game, but with a far to rushed ending and conclusion of the story...

marvio 03-03-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 573973)
Spoiler:

I also found the ending somewhat disappointing. It ended to quick. First of all, I can accept that Angela was the "bad guy" but, as you said, there was way way way to little involvement in the story to make this scenario convincing. It was like "what"?
I though we were going to see deeper development with the paranormal stuff. And shouldn't Styles be a lot more depressed about how Angela only fooled him to believe Laura was coming back? After Angela dies, he just sits with the group and talking, like nothing really important have happened. I mean, shouldn't he be depressed? Like reeeeallly depressed. He was obsessed with Laura, and have been convinced she could bring her back - the he finds out Angela is behind it all and he reacts like he does? What?
So a top notch story, and game, but with a far to rushed ending and conclusion of the story...

Question, how do you reveal the "spoilers" without replying to the message? (kinda like our own adventure game puzzle here:) )

Spoiler:

Actually, more then that, I'd love to have seen the story turn into Styles slowly going down into madness, with just a hint/hope that this is really a haunting, with an ending which left you wondering, but not before a great ride in analyzing his fears, desires and his loneliness, culminating into a psychosis fueled, last ditch effort, to prove he was right (that his deceased wife was trying to come through), while everybody around him just saw a madman, committing some kind of heinous crime! Now, that would've been a story!!

millenia 03-03-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvio (Post 573965)
Spoiler:

Even if those were explained, still is a rather flat/anti-cliamatic ending for a story which could have gone somewhere very interesting.

I can totally understand if the ending feels anti-climatic and people can be somewhat disappointed, it is a matter of taste. I don't believe it is downright horrible though and while it could have gone another way it is rather hard to build up a grand finale that would satisfy all the people.

Spoiler:
Of course there isn't any real evidence about Laura because you can choose to dismiss her or you can choose to believe she was all the time behind the cellar message and the memory sequences etc. Or then something in between. That's the beauty of it. Some people thought it to be "obvious" that the message in basement was a warning from Laura about Angela. Then again it could have been Angela's plan to get Styles distrust Sam. Plenty of stuff that could go either way and it's just a matter of what the player chooses to believe. Some people might consider them plot holes but I like that there's some room for your own interpretation.

It was also told pretty clearly how Angela became obsessed with Styles. The beautiful glamour couple, a professor that lectured to her about psychic powers. With tragic past and Styles dismissing her as a prankster when she was seeking help and then accidentally killing Laura... Her father had the same power and his magic tricks weren't brilliant illusions at all. I don't recall connection with the father and Styles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvio (Post 573974)
Question, how do you reveal the "spoilers" without replying to the message? (kinda like our own adventure game puzzle here:) )

Just highlight them. Unless you have some really weird board settings it should be that simple.

Isak 03-03-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenia (Post 573976)

Spoiler:
Of course there isn't any real evidence about Laura because you can choose to dismiss her or you can choose to believe she was all the time behind the cellar message and the memory sequences etc. Or then something in between. That's the beauty of it. Some people thought it to be "obvious" that the message in basement was a warning from Laura about Angela. Then again it could have been Angela's plan to get Styles distrust Sam. Plenty of stuff that could go either way and it's just a matter of what the player chooses to believe. Some people might consider them plot holes but I like that there's some room for your own interpretation.

It was also told pretty clearly how Angela became obsessed with Styles. The beautiful glamour couple, a professor that lectured to her about psychic powers. With tragic past and Styles dismissing her as a prankster when she was seeking help and then accidentally killing Laura... Her father had the same power and his magic tricks weren't brilliant illusions at all. I don't recall connection with the father and Styles.

Spoiler:
I understand what you mean, however, the ending didn't convince me. It was to abrupt. To little had been told about Angelas relation to Styles, and I just felt with such an abrupt ending, we could at least expect some deeper insight in how Styles were doing after finding out about Angela; would he keep on searching for Laura (did he still believe that she existed as a ghost, and as "marvio" suggested; would he become mad, and what would things develop? Or if, like it seems in the ending, at least to me, he accepted that Angela was playing with him, how would he react to it? It seems unlikely that anyone in Styles state (during the game) would react like he did when finding out Angela was behind all the tricks.
I mean, in the end, Sam is making breakfast, joking around and everything seems fine. But everything shouldn't be fine.

And what was that about Sam necklace? Okay, it looked exactly like Styles mothers necklace, but would that make her an imposter? :shifty:

By the way, does anyone know who voiced Styles? He sounds awfully a lot like Lewton from Discworld Noir!