Gray Matter Reactions - Page 6 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray Matter Reactions


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #101
Senior Member
 
Arial Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Kinda shocked to see the "engine" called bad or slow. I've played all recent adventures on the same computer and Gray Matter is easily one of the quickest.

You must be doing something wrong.
Is it? Then there must be something wrong with me, what a relief Although I have a fast PC, sometimes there's enough time to read two messages. And not all of them are idiotic, Fien. There are some historical or in-game facts, about Sam's boyfriend for example. Anyway, I play on the highest conf and that's hardly too much for a rendered game...

As for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
And I don't want the game to produce the name of every object I look at. I can SEE it's a portrait, a chair, a table. If there's anything in the manual about turning this superfluous "service" off I haven't found it.
I also wish it was turned off, because the pauses they take to appear are really irritating. Then again, there are those little things Roper Klacks talks about. The interface could've been so much better.
Arial Type is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #102
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Is it? Then there must be something wrong with me, what a relief Although I have a fast PC, sometimes there's enough time to read two messages. And not all of them are idiotic, Fien. There are some historical or in-game facts, about Sam's boyfriend for example.
Facts about Sam's boyfriend which I miss out on because the loading times are not long enough? The irony! Especially after So Blonde.

The story really really has to be good...
Fien is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #103
Senior Member
 
Lupin The Third's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 174
Default

I'm wondering if the US release of this might actually get an overhaul and improved animations as first announced. When Lace Mamba announced the delay last month into next year they announced that it was for quality issues. Yet now the game slips out in some Euro territories before the February release date. I wonder if they figured most gamers in these regions would prefer to play it now, regardless of animations and such, and they'll simply tidy it up for the US and elsewhere? Will be interesting to see...maybe the worldwide release will address some of the complaints. Then they can re-release it in Germany and such as a "Director's Cut" version....
Lupin The Third is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
Roper Klacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
I'm wondering if the US release of this might actually get an overhaul and improved animations as first announced. When Lace Mamba announced the delay last month into next year they announced that it was for quality issues. Yet now the game slips out in some Euro territories before the February release date. I wonder if they figured most gamers in these regions would prefer to play it now, regardless of animations and such, and they'll simply tidy it up for the US and elsewhere? Will be interesting to see...maybe the worldwide release will address some of the complaints. Then they can re-release it in Germany and such as a "Director's Cut" version....
I really doubt that.
__________________
Favorite Adventures: Gabriel Knight series, The Longest Journey, Still Life, The Last Express, Shivers.
Roper Klacks is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
inm8#2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 569
Default

Reading this thread gives me so many different emotions:

Jealous - game is not out in US yet
Disappointed - people are complaining about graphics when it has been known a long time that this game has had budget issues; I can't criticize downloaders who have paid for or will pay for the game, but Jane Jensen and her team of developers deserve every penny from anyone who plays
Excited - overall people seem to really be enjoying the game
Bittersweet - having waited so long, it's tough to accept the game is actually done!
__________________
***Read the bolded part***

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
inm8#2 is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #106
Strategy Guide Author
 
Phod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 300
Default

The ridiculous nitpicks this game is getting is hilarity.
__________________
Currently Playing: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Currently Working On: Being Mr. Mom
Recently Finished: The Walking Dead, Yesterday, Psychonauts, Fallout: New Vegas
Phod is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #107
Senior Member
 
diego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: belgrade
Posts: 1,407
Default

Because we're talking Jane Jensen here. It's just if Roberta Williams would to make a new game, or Tim Schafer (oh yeah, he did).

But Sierra was big company, and people should realize that not only Jensen herself made all that puzzles, scripts... So, you gotta give a credit to this new team also and not judge it by the retrospective of one of the best games of adventure games heyday.
diego is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #108
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
Default

I admit, its been such a long time coming, this game has, that expectations are ridiculously high. As I relax into it a bit more and simply enjoy it, this adventure is simply a class above; its the best adventure game in years and I think as the dust settles a bit it will be thought of as another Jane Jensen classic.
ncf1 is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
Arial Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Facts about Sam's boyfriend which I miss out on because the loading times are not long enough? The irony! Especially after So Blonde.
Yeah, that's the life. Though I'd prefer quicker loading times.
There are also some of the nicest references to Janes' games I ever saw in Janes' games. And even a reference to her favourite movie.
And her favourite toothbrush...
Arial Type is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #110
Strategy Guide Author
 
Phod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 300
Default

Through the second chapter and the game continues to get better. The gripes about the graphics are pretty petty. The backgrounds are fantastic, the models aren't incredible but they aren't awful either. The biggest issue is the animations which are very clunky: people turning around in place to get lined up correctly, etc. Sure it breaks immersion a little bit but I still think it's a large nitpick. If you play adventure games for cutting edge visuals and flawless animation then yeah, Gray Matter ain't your thing.

The story is really good so far, in my opinion, and you can just tell it's by a professional writer. The pacing is fantastic. Compare this to some recent adventures and it's just laughable the difference. So while the game may lack polish in the graphics/animation department, it lacks none in the writing... at least so far.
__________________
Currently Playing: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Currently Working On: Being Mr. Mom
Recently Finished: The Walking Dead, Yesterday, Psychonauts, Fallout: New Vegas
Phod is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #111
Member
 
Hannes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 78
Default

At the end of chapter 1 now and really loving the game! You can so tell it's a Jane Jensen game, from soundtrack to the story. I guess I'm not disappointed because I gave up on this game before it got released and when I started playing it, I expected it to be buggy and unfinished, but it isn't. It's really nice, and I hope they'll make more games together!
Hannes is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #112
Member
 
Hannes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncf1 View Post
I admit, its been such a long time coming, this game has, that expectations are ridiculously high. As I relax into it a bit more and simply enjoy it, this adventure is simply a class above; its the best adventure game in years and I think as the dust settles a bit it will be thought of as another Jane Jensen classic.
I absolutely agree. Someone said Syberia is far better than this.. I disagree 100%. Syberia had cool graphics and it was longer, but lacked in the story side; Syberia was filled with story "shortcuts" and rushed even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
If you play adventure games for cutting edge visuals and flawless animation then yeah, Gray Matter ain't your thing.
I agree with your points as well. Then again, if you play adventure games for cutting edge visuals, you're screwed, as they don't really exist. Expect an adventure game, not a big budget Hollywood-graphics and you can't go wrong with this.

Last edited by Hannes; 11-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Hannes is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #113
Member
 
Hannes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
The engine by Wizarbox is bad. It was bad in So Blonde, it's still bad in Gray Matter. Long loading times, irritating hotspots, painful pathfinding - that's something a polished game shouldn't have. And as far as animation goes...

We saw rotoscoping, FMV and even realtime 3D. That was in 90th. It's XXI century now, and the best they came up with is the "black screen" magic? I understand everything, but they could at least add some comics in between.

Of course, I can live with it as long as the writing will remain as good as it is. As well as other fans of Jane. But for many other gamers it will ruin the fun for sure. It even ruins some fun for me now. From now on I'll try to concentrate on the story, writing, puzzles, something that only Janes' holy hands touched.

Jane Jensen is too good for this game.
I wanna point out that the loading times are not long if you've got a modern pc/laptop. I'm playing with Sony Vaio E-series laptop and I don't even have time to read the texts on the screen before it's already loaded. So, it's not the game, it's your pc.

I don't see the point in whining about the graphics. It's an adventure game, the budget was small. You can't create Bioshock-style graphics with no money. Instead of doing the usual, poor 3d animations, they went for something different, and I like it. Either way, people would still whine no matter what the technology was. If it really bugs so many of you, then why don't you people donate some money for the company, so they can create a high-end graphics game? lol IMHO the graphics are fine, and similar to other recent releases. Not outdated at all.

Last edited by Hannes; 11-15-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Hannes is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #114
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
I wanna point out that the loading times are not long if you've got a modern pc/laptop. I'm playing with Sony Vaio E-series laptop and I don't even have time to read the texts on the screen before it's already loaded.
That's right, either way you win something and you lose something. A wonderful design feature. I can tell lots of thought went into it. Oops! I shouldn't whine, so sorry. Of course the glass is half full, not half empty.

Quote:
So, it's not the game, it's your pc.
Heh. I remember how people told me the specs of my *brand new* computer must be the reason the loading times in So Blonde were 30 or more seconds.
Fien is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #115
Member
 
Hannes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
That's right, either way you win something and you lose something. A wonderful design feature. I can tell lots of thought went into it. Oops! I shouldn't whine, so sorry. Of course the glass is half full, not half empty.
That's nitpicking, and you know this perfectly well. You seem really bitter. Any game that has a loading screen like in GM suffers from the same problem: you either miss the texts or they're on your screen for ages. From the little that I've managed to read, the texts aren't really that important anyway; they're there to distract you from the loading time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Heh. I remember how people told me the specs of my *brand new* computer must be the reason the loading times in So Blonde were 30 or more seconds.
Well, how else do you explain that my year old laptop runs the game perfectly and the load screens go by fast, while others' don't? What else could it be, other than the specs? If it's really such a big problem to you, I can't see how you can play most adventure games at all...

Last edited by Hannes; 11-15-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Hannes is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 AM   #116
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
Any game that has a loading screen like in GM suffers from the same problem: you either miss the texts or they're on your screen for ages.
Yes. You don't seem to understand that's why it's a BAD IDEA to put info or nice little tidbits on screens which most people will not be able to read.

Quote:
Well, how else do you explain that my year old laptop runs the game perfectly and the load screens go by fast, while others' don't? What else could it be, other than the specs? I get the feeling you just really wanna rant about something.
Sorry, but that's nonsense. Many, many possibilities besides specs. Wizarbox was to blame for the problems with So Blonde, there was never any doubt about it. *

You're mistaking my sarcastic tone for bitterness. And I don't like being patronized by people telling me I should stop playing the game, stop whining, donate money, when I have legitimate criticism. I can live with the animation. I realize we will see more and more casualised cutscenes. Low production values and all that. But the gameplay issues are design flaws I find seriously annoying.

*EDIT: Daedalic's A New Beginning is unplayable on my three-year old computer. Literally. After the first screen the game crashes. My specs not good enough? Ha! I can play it on my six-year old XP machine. The loading times are far worse than So Blonde though but I can play it if I have all the time in the world. Am I the only one? You should read what other people have to say about it on German forums.

Last edited by Fien; 11-15-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Fien is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #117
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 29
Default

My take having finished it.

Positives: Good voice acting, soundtrack, characters, and story. Beautiful backgrounds and I personally like the cutscene art style a lot. A few good puzzles in there and a good balance between the story and puzzles.

Negatives: Not horrendously so, but a bit short, guessing the average completion time for most people would be about nine hours. The character models and animations aren't the best as others have said. The "magic" system in the game is a neat concept but they might as well have just saved the player time by doing the trick you pick out by default without having to input the steps yourself because none of those puzzles present a challenge. Most of the puzzles are pretty easy(which could be a positive or negative) but sometimes it's hard to know what you missed in an area, particularly a conversation you might need to have.

Overall, I'd say it's one of the better adventure games to come out in a while, but not on the level of the GK games, and it's somewhat hard to understand why it took so long to make with the shorter length and low budget nature of the game engine. It has a conclusive ending, but feels like the type of game that could have sequels, so hopefully if Jane doesn't go back to Gabriel Knight she'll continue this series hopefully in faster order than the first game.
HitBattousai is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #118
Senior Member
 
dekaneas297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 297
Default

HitBattousai reminded me something I forgot to mention. The magic tricks were totally not what I expected. Apart from the uninspired boring steps to fulfill them, I imagined a cutscene in each one visualising the trick and all we got was a "yes I did it". Major letdown for something that was one of the presumed highlights of the game.
dekaneas297 is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #119
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
The engine by Wizarbox is bad. It was bad in So Blonde, it's still bad in Gray Matter.
Just a note: this is not the same engine as in So Blonde, neither the first nor the Nintendo version. Not that it matters or anything, but for clarity's sake ^^
Sidrath is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #120
Senior Member
 
Roper Klacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
HitBattousai reminded me something I forgot to mention. The magic tricks were totally not what I expected. Apart from the uninspired boring steps to fulfill them, I imagined a cutscene in each one visualising the trick and all we got was a "yes I did it". Major letdown for something that was one of the presumed highlights of the game.
I gotta agree with you. And overall i think the magic system was underdeveloped, basically you don't have to think, just read and follow the steps. They could have done things a bit more chalenging and let the player test and invent new and different tricks.
__________________
Favorite Adventures: Gabriel Knight series, The Longest Journey, Still Life, The Last Express, Shivers.
Roper Klacks is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.