You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray Matter Reactions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #421
tsa
Playing character

That could be but I'd rather have some answers to my questions instead of being accused
Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #422

tsa, if you read this thread, you will find most of your questions answered - more or less.

For the question about the key to Dr. Styles lab: surely there is a safety-key. If something happens, a trustworthy person must be capable to open the door.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 AM   #423
Life and times of...

I'm wondering about the thing in the picture, was it some kind of a presence of Angela lurking over them or what? Although everything doesn't need an answer (often the opposite is better), I felt that this could've done with a little more elaboration. It was sort of "*gasp* Demon! Well, let's forget about it."

I'm wondering if the next planned games will also deal with the unanswered questions in this game.

As for Tsa's questions, here too I suspect a lot of the questions were left unanswered on purpose. Still, on some of them my suggestions are: the assistant was just a random person, no one important; I don't see why Helena wouldn't be using drugs (or am I forgetting or missing something?); I think that some of the messages ("check the cars" at least) could've just been David's subconscious (but it's left open); the "lighting up" of the pictures could've just been a matter of the original machinery being so delicate that when there was Angela's flare, it sort of overflooded into all of the data (David then switched). But of course it could also be something else.

Just my thoughts, of course The rest are completely open to me too.

And if I didn't say it in this thread yet, brilliant game, definitely my favorite in quite a while, and one of my favorites in quite a longer while still.

Last edited by UPtimist; 04-18-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #424
Senior Automaton

The thing I liked best about Gray Matter was how emotional it was. I've played games with better graphics, better puzzles, and better story but don't think I could name more than a handful that were more emotionally involving than Gray Matter.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #425
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
tsa, if you read this thread, you will find most of your questions answered - more or less.

For the question about the key to Dr. Styles lab: surely there is a safety-key. If something happens, a trustworthy person must be capable to open the door.
I read parts of the tread but didn't find my questions. I will read the rest too then . About the key: why didn't I think of that? I worked in labs for years but in adventure games the rules are different. I was never allowed to work alone in the lab for safety reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I'm wondering about the thing in the picture, was it some kind of a presence of Angela lurking over them or what? Although everything doesn't need an answer (often the opposite is better), I felt that this could've done with a little more elaboration. It was sort of "*gasp* Demon! Well, let's forget about it."
Yes, that was something else indeed. And what was this 'shape' that appeared in David's hypnosis session? I get the suspicion that the game we played and the story we saw is the result of at least three total rewrites or something, with parts of the old stories left in because it was too expensive to rip them out.

Quote:
I'm wondering if the next planned games will also deal with the unanswered questions in this game.

As for Tsa's questions, here too I suspect a lot of the questions were left unanswered on purpose. Still, on some of them my suggestions are: the assistant was just a random person, no one important; I don't see why Helena wouldn't be using drugs (or am I forgetting or missing something?); I think that some of the messages ("check the cars" at least) could've just been David's subconscious (but it's left open); the "lighting up" of the pictures could've just been a matter of the original machinery being so delicate that when there was Angela's flare, it sort of overflooded into all of the data (David then switched). But of course it could also be something else.

Just my thoughts, of course The rest are completely open to me too.
For a long time I suspected Mrs. Duncan to be the 'ghost,' because she could get in all the rooms and had access to everything.
I don't think Helena was on drugs. She seems far too smart for that. She may be a slut but she's not dumb. Maybe she has diabetes.
I thought David concluded that the 'flare' couldn't be caused by the machinery. I'm also not sure he switched. If he did, you should expect all the pictures of the last two experiments to be different from the pictures of the first two, not only the 'flare' ones, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's fun to speculate about these things!

Quote:
And if I didn't say it in this thread yet, brilliant game, definitely my favorite in quite a while, and one of my favorites in quite a longer while still.
It's way better than anything I've played since 2000. Even better than Dreamfall IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
The thing I liked best about Gray Matter was how emotional it was. I've played games with better graphics, better puzzles, and better story but don't think I could name more than a handful that were more emotionally involving than Gray Matter.
Exactly. Especially David was extremely well done. You could really feel with him and grieve with him about the loss of his wife.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
[*]Why were the brains of all students 'lit up' during the first two experiments, and only Angela's brain in the second two?
Because Dr. Styles changes the MRT device. First he used the new one but could get no results, than the old one.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #427
fov
Rattenmonster

The answers below are my opinions, others may disagree.

Quote:
[*]Who was the first girl who wanted to apply for the assistant job?
Someone from the biology department (or whatever dept it is that David and Mrs. Duncan initially ask Sam if she's from). I don't think it matters.

Quote:
[*]What about Sam's necklace? David thought it was his mother's, but what is the real story?
I thought it was his mother's, and Sam did buy it at a flea market -- a coincidence that shows that the two of them are cosmically connected and destined to meet.

Quote:
[*]Does Helena use drugs or doesn't she?
Don't know, don't think it matters? As someone else has mentioned, I assumed it would come out that she had diabetes, or something like that, but it wasn't addressed.

Quote:
[*]Why were the brains of all students 'lit up' during the first two experiments, and only Angela's brain in the second two?
I thought it was because he switched equipment, the first machine he used wasn't sensitive enough to capture what he was trying to capture? I forget exactly how it's explained but I thought it was related to the different machines.

Quote:
[*]Who wrote the word 'IMPOSTOR' on the roll thingy in David's lab?
Laura's (real) ghost, as a waring to David. Too bad no one was down there to see it.

Quote:
[*]From whom was the message 'check the cars, David?'
Also Laura's ghost.

Quote:
[*]Why did Mrs. Duncan have a key to David's private lab? David says he lets no one in there, not even her.
I assumed it's because she has access to the whole house, but doesn't go into the room because she's been instructed not to.

Quote:
[*]Where did the key to the tower come from?
The whole tower bit confused me a bit. Maybe Angela had found it at some point, and had been using the tower to spy on David, and she dropped the key?

Quote:
[*]And the million dollar question: Did Angela kill Laura?
Yes, but not intentionally. She was jealous of Laura and angry at being turned away by Dr. Styles during office hours and when her anger flared up, it created a fireball thingie that she couldn't control (which is why the gas petal was melted to the floor). So she caused the accident but didn't mean to (and, I think, didn't even know it).

Quote:
[*]Why wasn't the driver of the other car hurt in David and Laura's accident?
Because the fire was concentrated on David/Laura? An indication that Laura's death wasn't due to the accident itself, but to what happened in the car prior to and during the accident?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #428
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
The answers below are my opinions, others may disagree.

I thought it was his mother's, and Sam did buy it at a flea market -- a coincidence that shows that the two of them are cosmically connected and destined to meet.
For some time I thought they were sister and brother.

Quote:
Don't know, don't think it matters? As someone else has mentioned, I assumed it would come out that she had diabetes, or something like that, but it wasn't addressed.
It matters because Sam makes a big deal out of it, and then suddenly it's dropped.

Quote:
I thought it was because he switched equipment, the first machine he used wasn't sensitive enough to capture what he was trying to capture? I forget exactly how it's explained but I thought it was related to the different machines.
I thought he hadn't switched but I think I am mistaken.

Quote:
The whole tower bit confused me a bit. Maybe Angela had found it at some point, and had been using the tower to spy on David, and she dropped the key?
The key was hidden under the statue. And indeed, Angela used the tower to spy on David, or maybe get into his sleeping room somehow via the window, but I wonder how she got the key to the tower. But with her powers, maybe it was easy for her to conjure one up

Quote:
Yes, but not intentionally. She was jealous of Laura and angry at being turned away by Dr. Styles during office hours and when her anger flared up, it created a fireball thingie that she couldn't control (which is why the gas petal was melted to the floor). So she caused the accident but didn't mean to (and, I think, didn't even know it).
Something like that must be it.

Quote:
Because the fire was concentrated on David/Laura? An indication that Laura's death wasn't due to the accident itself, but to what happened in the car prior to and during the accident?
Maybe Laura was in the car, and she protected herself against the fire?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #429

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

With the sole exception of her last answer (and only because I don't remember very well that explanation), I agree with fov 100%
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #430
Life and times of...

I don't think it was evere ruled out that Helena would use drugs. If you use drugs, you're not necessarily always "on drugs". She just doesn't appear when she's "high".

I mean, I'm not saying that's how I necessarily see it, just that it's in my books not in any way ruled out because there is no indication later (or before) of her using them.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #431
tsa
Playing character

THat is indeed another possibility. Remember, in the 1800s it was not considered strange to use cocaine. Even Sherlock Holmes used it every now and then.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #432

Quote:
Why wasn't the driver of the other car hurt in David and Laura's accident?
They were. Killed outright.

In the chapter where David investigates the violent events at the college dining hall, if you interact with the police investigator several times, David mentions that it's the same guy who dealt with the crash case all those years ago. He goes on to say that not much progress was made as the driver of the second car was killed instantly, leaving the police no leads to follow.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #433

For anyone who is interested, my review of Gray Matter is linked below:

Gray Matter Review - Alternative Magazine Online

It's strange, but although a lot of people have noted faults with Gray Matter (faults I myself could agree with to some extent) none of them impacted my enjoyment enough to really matter. The puzzles, storyline, characters and soundtrack all combined to create one of the most emotional, involving adventures I have experienced in years. I certainly hope we see a sequel at some point in the future.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #434
tsa
Playing character

Nice review Marty (I have to see that movie again soon BTW). I loved the game too and will certainly play it again in the not too distant future. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the sequel!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #435
Schattenjäger

Great review, Marty. I can identify with it very well and it seems like we have very similar feelings towards Gray Matter. Also loved the interview with Robert Holmes on your blog by the way!
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #436
Protégée of Dr. O. Myklos

Awesome core concept/stories/characters (including some very fun puzzles and some 'meh' ones).

Mediocre (but certainly not *awful*) execution (i.e., graphics, directing, etc.).
Old 04-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #437

Awesome game! Nothing more, nothing less!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #438
Replicant

Jane Jensen sighting! I found a new interview with her at an online magazine.

http://alternativemagazineonline.co....y-gray-matter/

Some of the more interesting things...

Quote:
I knew early on that I really wanted to use some Scarlet Furies music, but when you’re that close to it, it’s hard to know if it really works or if you’re biased, so I’m glad so many people responded to the music. I think the music got more good press than the game!
(Comment: Not sure if that's tongue in cheek or some veiled disappointment)

Quote:
Where there any parts of the game that had to be cut?

Not in Gray Matter, no.
(Comment: So those strange hotspots-that-never-led-to-anything were apparently deliberate)

(Minor ending spoilers in the quote below!)

Quote:
There is a small cutscene shown after the final credits roll, which has caused much debate online! Care to shed any light on its meaning?

I’m not sure what the debate might be… but the final sequence was meant to simply introduce a subtle doubt about what was ‘random’ and what was manipulated in Sam and David’s pairing up – the same question we might all ask about our lives from time to time when it seems like something larger is moving the pieces around.
(Comment: Should answer some questions at least.)

Quote:
Is Gray Matter a game you would like to create a sequel to in the future?

Yes, I certainly hope so.
(Comment: Hooray!)

Quote:
What is next for you Mrs Jensen?

I’m in the process right now of trying to figure it out. But most likely more casual games and hopefully another big adventure.
(Comment: Eww @ casual games but @ another big adventure.)
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #439
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Quote:
What is next for you Mrs Jensen?

I’m in the process right now of trying to figure it out. But most likely more casual games and hopefully another big adventure.

OMG I hope this is true!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #440
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post

Or it could be a plot hole

Who was the girl at the door in the first scene?

Dude, she was a plot device, and a very cliched one, that's who she was.

For most other questions...

Who cares, it makes little to no difference