You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray Matter Reactions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #341

Send a message via MSN to Danny_HR

The ending was terrible.

The game, overall is good, not great but not dissappointing either.
I found it fun at times, dull at others, but i did not regret getting it.

But they should have done something better with the ending, they could.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #342

I have just begun playing this eagerly awaited game and I must admit that the magical tricks are as annoying as hell...and there are to many hints - the hotspots key?
Do not like it. I love Gabriel Knight - he is one of my fav characters, not to mention the games...love them.
Dissapointed so far...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #343
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexxie View Post
I have just begun playing this eagerly awaited game and I must admit that the magical tricks are as annoying as hell...and there are to many hints - the hotspots key?
Do not like it. I love Gabriel Knight - he is one of my fav characters, not to mention the games...love them.
Dissapointed so far...
QUE?! I love the magic trick "puzzles". I'm playing the game for Xbox, dunno if there is any difference?
Why do people keep compare Gabriel Knight with Gray Matter? Sure, it's the same writer but what the hell? The story's are completely different and they are different games, they don't belong to each other at all, except that it is the same writer.
It's like comparing a great novelist different books, like Haruk Murakami for example; they can differ a lot even though it's the same writer.
It's NOT THE SAME GAME!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #344

@Isak - there was no puzzle with magic tricks, so that is annoying to me- it's all written down. G.Knight & this game are from the same writer...so that's why people had very, very high expectations.

I am at Ch.2 now - it seems like a good story though, but I was expecting that from Jensen.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #345

I recently finished this and would like to post more detailed thoughts at a later time, but I absolutely loved the game. Great story, interesting characters, and wonderful atmosphere.

The negative comments aren't invalid, but people need to be grateful this game was even released. Some expected the Citizen Kane of adventure games. There are technical and gameplay-related shortcomings, but don't put that on Jensen or the team behind the game. Whatever they had money and resources to do, they did as well as they could.

P.S. - I enjoyed the cutscenes. They both fit and set the mood very well in my opinion.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 03-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #346
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
It's like comparing a great novelist different books, like Haruki Murakami for example; they can differ a lot even though it's the same writer.
It's NOT THE SAME GAME!
OT: Actually, their style is very much alike.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #347
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexxie View Post
@Isak - there was no puzzle with magic tricks, so that is annoying to me- it's all written down. G.Knight & this game are from the same writer...so that's why people had very, very high expectations.
I see what you mean, and I DO understand that people have high expectations, because I understand that the GK series are great games. However, I don't understand what's wrong with Gray Matter?
Maybe it's not like GK at all, but why do people think the game isn't enjoyable?
By the way, sorry if sounding harsh in my first reply to you - it wasn't my intention, just a litte over-excited about the topic! on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
P.S. - I enjoyed the cutscenes. They both fit and set the mood very well in my opinion.
I agree - brilliant cutscenes, and somewhat original and refreshing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
OT: Actually, their style is very much alike.
Maybe some books, like Dance x3, A Wild Sheep Chase, Wind up bird and Kafka... But have you red "Norwegian Wood", and especially the novel "Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world"? Those two differ a lot. Also, his short stories (especially the early ones) are a lot different from his usual style.
So I don't see the point in always, and I mean ALWAYS, comparing titles by the same author. Just because it's the same author, doesn't mean the books/games/movies/whatever are or need to be very alike.

I say Gray Matter is good, even though the game differs a lot from, at least the third GK game (the only one I played).
Not at all like the GK game(s) but still a great game!

Last edited by Isak; 03-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #348

Gamespot says 7/10. Given their consistent 4 or 5 out of 10 rating of virtually every adventure game, it's a good score.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/graymatter/review.html

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown

Last edited by inm8#2; 03-01-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #349
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HR View Post
The ending was terrible.

The game, overall is good, not great but not dissappointing either.
I found it fun at times, dull at others, but i did not regret getting it.

But they should have done something better with the ending, they could.
+1 I felt the same. I really enjoyed the puzzle rooms in the Daedalus Club and thought it was one of the better chapters, but I felt short shafted and wanted more.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #350

Finally got the box in my hand last night! I remember anticipating this game back in 2004 when it was first announced, and now I finally have it. I'm 90% of the way through Chapter One, and so far I like it. I'm intrigued and can't wait to see what happens next. The animation is a little off-putting, but I won't let it ruin the game for me.

What I really want to rant about is how I was robbed of the communal experience I was looking forward to with this game. By releasing it the way thay did, there was a long period of time when the game was available in many places, and lots of people were talking about it, but it wasn't available where I was. In searching for more information about its release, I had to be careful lest I stumble across any spoilers. I wasn't always successful in this, and that lessened the game right there. I hope for the next game it gets released simultaneously everywhere. Okay, end of rant. Back to the game!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #351
The 'Mighty Dragon'

I picked it up on Monday, and I've only finished chapter one, but my first impressions are nothing short of glowing.

I do have some issues, such as the animations, but overall it's been a positive experience for me.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #352
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Maybe I'm just dumb, but didn't the ending left a lot un-explained?

I played this game in two short bursts, but there was a gap of a week between them, so maybe I just forgot about something which happened in the first half of the game that explains the ending?

I remember being very excited throughout the game, the story was developing very nicely, but right at the end, and I mean the very end, everything just falls appart.

Little disappointed.

Also, I didn't mind the cut scenes through the game, but the later half, specially in the deadalus club, and the last one, I feel it would be better served if they were fully animated. I didn't mind the magic tricks at all, I have no idea why they were there, but didn't mind it; It was just way too easy, correction, for something to be easy it still has to pose some kind of challenge, the magic tricks were actually no challenge at all! Everything was spelled out for you, even bolded, all you had to do was to point and click your way through, pointless, but fast enough that I didn't find it annoying.

Is it to early still for spoilers? I really want to ask the questions about the end of the game...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #353

This is the best game I have played since Gabriel Knight 3. (Fitting, I suppose) I live in Spain so I had to play with Spanish text so some of the puzzles were weird...but still awesome.

I for one loved the ending...
Spoiler:
I really liked how the ending left it open for you to think, but it wasn't so open that you were cursing at the screen.
I think one of the mistakes they made was that Angela's Scottish accent is way too obvious in the flashback...they could have made her voice deep or something..

What saddens me is that this adventure was probably supposed to be for Gabriel Knight because I remember Jane Jensen saying that Gabriel's next adventure would be about a haunting and Gray Matter deals with it.
And Gabriel and Grace, especially Grace, were much much better characters than Samantha and Dr. Styles.

Any thoughts about what supernatural thing the sequel will talk about? Bride of Frankenstein seems to imply bringing back the dead. Can you really find that much pseudoscience about bringing back the dead? I wonder...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #354
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayscavenger View Post
This is the best game I have played since Gabriel Knight 3. (Fitting, I suppose) I live in Spain so I had to play with Spanish text so some of the puzzles were weird...but still awesome.

I for one loved the ending...
Spoiler:
I really liked how the ending left it open for you to think, but it wasn't so open that you were cursing at the screen.
I think one of the mistakes they made was that Angela's Scottish accent is way too obvious in the flashback...they could have made her voice deep or something..

What saddens me is that this adventure was probably supposed to be for Gabriel Knight because I remember Jane Jensen saying that Gabriel's next adventure would be about a haunting and Gray Matter deals with it.
And Gabriel and Grace, especially Grace, were much much better characters than Samantha and Dr. Styles.

Any thoughts about what supernatural thing the sequel will talk about? Bride of Frankenstein seems to imply bringing back the dead. Can you really find that much pseudoscience about bringing back the dead? I wonder...
Hummm...

Really? I thought the ending was just flat, and didn't really leave anything to the imagination, which I would be fine with me, but left huge plot holes.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #355
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvio View Post
Hummm...

Really? I thought the ending was just flat, and didn't really leave anything to the imagination, which I would be fine with me, but left huge plot holes.
Spoiler:
It was left unclear how much of the stuff was because of Angela and how much because of Laura. It was only a few things but for those who want to believe that Laura was with Styles the whole time helping him it is certainly a possibility while others can interpret it so that there really was no ghost at all, only Angela and Styles' memories.

The plot itself was cleared up pretty good and I didn't find it so disappointing. I wasn't amazed or in love with the ending but I really don't get all the hate either.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #356
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
[spoiler]It was left unclear how much of the stuff was because of Angela and how much because of Laura. It was only a few things but for those who want to believe that Laura was with Styles the whole time helping him it is certainly a possibility while others can interpret it so that there really was no ghost at all, only Angela and Styles' memories.[/spoilr]e

The plot itself was cleared up pretty good and I didn't find it so disappointing. I wasn't amazed or in love with the ending but I really don't get all the hate either.
Spoiler:
Was there anything in the story that would lead you to believe this was anything but Angela screwing with Styles? I certainly didn't catch it? Here's my main problem. Why Angela? How did Styles knew her father? What's the connection there? Like I said, maybe I just totally missed something?

Even if those were explained, still is a rather flat/anti-cliamatic ending for a story which could have gone somewhere very interesting.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #357
The Dude

Quote:
Spoiler:
Was there anything in the story that would lead you to believe this was anything but Angela screwing with Styles? I certainly didn't catch it? Here's my main problem. Why Angela? How did Styles knew her father? What's the connection there? Like I said, maybe I just totally missed something?
Spoiler:

I also found the ending somewhat disappointing. It ended to quick. First of all, I can accept that Angela was the "bad guy" but, as you said, there was way way way to little involvement in the story to make this scenario convincing. It was like "what"?
I though we were going to see deeper development with the paranormal stuff. And shouldn't Styles be a lot more depressed about how Angela only fooled him to believe Laura was coming back? After Angela dies, he just sits with the group and talking, like nothing really important have happened. I mean, shouldn't he be depressed? Like reeeeallly depressed. He was obsessed with Laura, and have been convinced she could bring her back - the he finds out Angela is behind it all and he reacts like he does? What?
So a top notch story, and game, but with a far to rushed ending and conclusion of the story...

Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #358
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
Spoiler:

I also found the ending somewhat disappointing. It ended to quick. First of all, I can accept that Angela was the "bad guy" but, as you said, there was way way way to little involvement in the story to make this scenario convincing. It was like "what"?
I though we were going to see deeper development with the paranormal stuff. And shouldn't Styles be a lot more depressed about how Angela only fooled him to believe Laura was coming back? After Angela dies, he just sits with the group and talking, like nothing really important have happened. I mean, shouldn't he be depressed? Like reeeeallly depressed. He was obsessed with Laura, and have been convinced she could bring her back - the he finds out Angela is behind it all and he reacts like he does? What?
So a top notch story, and game, but with a far to rushed ending and conclusion of the story...

Question, how do you reveal the "spoilers" without replying to the message? (kinda like our own adventure game puzzle here )

Spoiler:

Actually, more then that, I'd love to have seen the story turn into Styles slowly going down into madness, with just a hint/hope that this is really a haunting, with an ending which left you wondering, but not before a great ride in analyzing his fears, desires and his loneliness, culminating into a psychosis fueled, last ditch effort, to prove he was right (that his deceased wife was trying to come through), while everybody around him just saw a madman, committing some kind of heinous crime! Now, that would've been a story!!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #359
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Spoiler:

Even if those were explained, still is a rather flat/anti-cliamatic ending for a story which could have gone somewhere very interesting.
I can totally understand if the ending feels anti-climatic and people can be somewhat disappointed, it is a matter of taste. I don't believe it is downright horrible though and while it could have gone another way it is rather hard to build up a grand finale that would satisfy all the people.

Spoiler:
Of course there isn't any real evidence about Laura because you can choose to dismiss her or you can choose to believe she was all the time behind the cellar message and the memory sequences etc. Or then something in between. That's the beauty of it. Some people thought it to be "obvious" that the message in basement was a warning from Laura about Angela. Then again it could have been Angela's plan to get Styles distrust Sam. Plenty of stuff that could go either way and it's just a matter of what the player chooses to believe. Some people might consider them plot holes but I like that there's some room for your own interpretation.

It was also told pretty clearly how Angela became obsessed with Styles. The beautiful glamour couple, a professor that lectured to her about psychic powers. With tragic past and Styles dismissing her as a prankster when she was seeking help and then accidentally killing Laura... Her father had the same power and his magic tricks weren't brilliant illusions at all. I don't recall connection with the father and Styles.

Quote:
Question, how do you reveal the "spoilers" without replying to the message? (kinda like our own adventure game puzzle here )
Just highlight them. Unless you have some really weird board settings it should be that simple.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #360
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post

Spoiler:
Of course there isn't any real evidence about Laura because you can choose to dismiss her or you can choose to believe she was all the time behind the cellar message and the memory sequences etc. Or then something in between. That's the beauty of it. Some people thought it to be "obvious" that the message in basement was a warning from Laura about Angela. Then again it could have been Angela's plan to get Styles distrust Sam. Plenty of stuff that could go either way and it's just a matter of what the player chooses to believe. Some people might consider them plot holes but I like that there's some room for your own interpretation.

It was also told pretty clearly how Angela became obsessed with Styles. The beautiful glamour couple, a professor that lectured to her about psychic powers. With tragic past and Styles dismissing her as a prankster when she was seeking help and then accidentally killing Laura... Her father had the same power and his magic tricks weren't brilliant illusions at all. I don't recall connection with the father and Styles.

Spoiler:
I understand what you mean, however, the ending didn't convince me. It was to abrupt. To little had been told about Angelas relation to Styles, and I just felt with such an abrupt ending, we could at least expect some deeper insight in how Styles were doing after finding out about Angela; would he keep on searching for Laura (did he still believe that she existed as a ghost, and as "marvio" suggested; would he become mad, and what would things develop? Or if, like it seems in the ending, at least to me, he accepted that Angela was playing with him, how would he react to it? It seems unlikely that anyone in Styles state (during the game) would react like he did when finding out Angela was behind all the tricks.
I mean, in the end, Sam is making breakfast, joking around and everything seems fine. But everything shouldn't be fine.

And what was that about Sam necklace? Okay, it looked exactly like Styles mothers necklace, but would that make her an imposter?

By the way, does anyone know who voiced Styles? He sounds awfully a lot like Lewton from Discworld Noir!