You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray Matter Reactions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #221

here are my thoughts after reading some of the posts and having completed the game.

There might be stiff animations,ok but the rest is really good.this is an adventure game you dont need fancy graphics or anything.maybe it would have been better if it had animations like Syberia,again ok.but apart from that you dont need anything else.
pre rendered graphics are fine.also this is a reason we get to see all those beautiful backgrounds.

the game was really good.after playing a little i was into it and didn't want to stop.that's what matters in an adventure game.

about the way sam runs,so what like it's any different from every other adventure game.and in the end you shouldn't have to run all the time.it's an adventure game there is no sense of time unless you do the required actions-triggers to proceed(excluding the points in games where you actually have a clock and have to act fast but those are few and not in every game).

and to repeat it once more it's an adventure.you have to remember what key characteristics this genre has otherwise you are bound to whine.those are what define a great adventure game.every thing else its just personal opinion and pros for a review.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #222

To start, I really wanted this to be a hit title, as I love Jane Jenson and adventure games, but I downloaded the demo, and I have had nothing but problems, and have never been able to start the game! I get exception errors in the game.exe, I get exception errors in TSR's I have, if I set the game to something other than my desktop and it crashed I was stuck in that resolution and needed to restart after I changed it to what I had it!

Finally, I ended up with a game.exe that was now not seen as a Windows Application! It's a 1.6gb download, so after an hours wait I was not happy that I was not able to play this demo!

If he game has half these problems it will get reviews in the 30%'s and will bomb - and that will be such a shame!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #223

I had no tecnical problem with Gray Matter.

I also dont complain about bad animations or graphics. It is not so bad.

What makes the game not so good is the story (in my opinion, of course). I think the story is uninteresting and so the characters. The script of the game is childish and predictable. Jane Jensen is a proffessional writer, so I would expect more about the game's story.

Ok, that's only my personal opinion. And I may be wrong. But the fact is this: I did not have any fun playing the game.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzo View Post
I had no tecnical problem with Gray Matter.

I also dont complain about bad animations or graphics. It is not so bad.

What makes the game not so good is the story (in my opinion, of course). I think the story is uninteresting and so the characters. The script of the game is childish and predictable. Jane Jensen is a proffessional writer, so I would expect more about the game's story.

Ok, that's only my personal opinion. And I may be wrong. But the fact is this: I did not have any fun playing the game.
I re-downloaded and reinstalled the demo and still had problems. First time I asked your character to go to the rabbit clean crash to desktop with no error message. I try again and this time I get a clean crash to desktop just clicking on the backpack after I got the rabbit. Now, when I try to start the demo I get a Microsoft error reporting box! At no point did I change any options on my PC or in-game and yet each time I got it to start I got an error in a different place!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #225

Have you tried the basic thing, that is, update drivers, DirectX, etc? Those are the most common causes of issues.

My PC runs Win 7 64 bits. Everything works fine.

Or, maibe, in your case, it coud be a problem with the demo version itself.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #226

Quote:
Have you tried the basic thing, that is, update drivers, DirectX, etc? Those are the most common causes of issues.

My PC runs Win 7 64 bits. Everything works fine.

Or, maibe, in your case, it coud be a problem with the demo version itself.
The demo includes a DirectX install, so I know I have the latest DirectX drivers! I have the latest 10.10 ATI drivers alrady,and when you get memory exceptions in the game.exe and that causes memory errors in task manager,you know you have code that is barley working! If it is the demo, then who the heck is going to buy the game? I won;t because in the UK you cannot bring the game back for a refund after the seal is broken!

I am running XP Pro SP3and that is a general system that many will be playing Gray Matter on!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 AM   #227

I played through the whole game without experiensing a single krasch. Extremly stable code I would say. Also, it seems like most people had no issues with the demo so you probably have some computer issues alternatively the demo got corrupted in the download.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #228
Detective

Yeah same here, in terms of stability it was top notch. No bugs,no freezes,nothing,... Running Windows 7 Ultimate edition 64 bit.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelGordon View Post
Yeah same here, in terms of stability it was top notch. No bugs,no freezes,nothing,... Running Windows 7 Ultimate edition 64 bit.
Maybe it coded for Window 7? And it's XP it doesn't like. I did re-download and re-install it again, even making sure I downloaded it from another site!

And don't tell me it's my PC when this demo if giving memory errors, which is always specific to the code! The problem is, for every person like me who comes here and tells you the problem, there's 100 that will try it, have the same problems and will then just uninstall and move on, never bothering to tell anyone. this is especially true of smaller games from smaller companies.

So if I can run every other game I have install fine, if all my drivers are up to date, and given this game dos not push any hardware like when I play Crysis or Oblivion, means it should be fairly simple fairly stable code. It isn't.

Last edited by UK_John; 12-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #230

There are problems with this game and Avira/Antivir if XP is involved.
Perhaps you have this programm on your computer?
The Avira team is trying to resolve the problem.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
Yeah, that is indeed possible. I have already had problems with a game once wich was caused by my firewall (with Norton). Turning off the protection during the game can be a good idea.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #232

Quote:
I am using Avira, so I will check into that - thanks a lot!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #233

I uninstalled Avira and the demo worked. Shame it wasn't easier to find that info out! In any event I have played the demo for about an hour and it's quite dry. My problem now is no save! The demo is at least 2 hours long, given I am only half way though it feels. It seems to much that you are expected to play for at least 2 hours without saving! In any event, I had to go and do something, so had to quit, and now I have to start again!

Doesn't bode to well.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #234

Sorry i didn't read your post before, UK_John.
I had the same problem.
It was discussed on german sides.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #235

Quote:
Sorry i didn't read your post before, UK_John.
I had the same problem.
It was discussed on german sides.
You have to understand, I am more upset because this is a Jane Jenson adventure that is being slaughtered!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #236

I fully understand.
But on the other hand your problem with the game had nothing to to with the game itself - it is a problem of a improper software.
I love the game - but you should not compare it to Gabriel Knight. Totally different.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #237

Quote:
I love the game - but you should not compare it to Gabriel Knight. Totally different.
I think the main difference between Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter is not about the theme or the story. It's about quality. I mean: for Jane jensen's level, Gray Matter is poor. She can do much, much better than this.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #238

Playing using WinXP without any problems whatsoever.

The cutscenes are very, very crude, which is a bit sad, but ok in the grande scheme of things.

I feel like I'm playing a Jane Jensen-game, but beacuse of the near zero budget compared to her earlier attempts, it becomes another experience. I would recommended it, without a doubt, to adventure lovers. But I still hope that Jane will once again be able to show her talents, unrestricted. GN2 is still a milestone in adventuring, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
Maybe it coded for Window 7? And it's XP it doesn't like. I did re-download and re-install it again, even making sure I downloaded it from another site!

And don't tell me it's my PC when this demo if giving memory errors, which is always specific to the code! The problem is, for every person like me who comes here and tells you the problem, there's 100 that will try it, have the same problems and will then just uninstall and move on, never bothering to tell anyone. this is especially true of smaller games from smaller companies.

So if I can run every other game I have install fine, if all my drivers are up to date, and given this game dos not push any hardware like when I play Crysis or Oblivion, means it should be fairly simple fairly stable code. It isn't.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #239

Quote:
I think the main difference between Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter is not about the theme or the story. It's about quality. I mean: for Jane jensen's level, Gray Matter is poor. She can do much, much better than this.
The quality of the story is pretty good, it's well written, researched and developed. She's not a programmer or a graphic artist, she only worked on the narrative and on that aspect GM is FAR from being poor, IMO of course.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #240

Why is everybody so against the cutscenes? I love them. They have a special touch that adds to the atmosphere.