You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure TUBMC (The Unofficial Bad Mojo Crawlthrough)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #61
Chicken with a bite

Excellent

I've reached the kitchen, again with an unsolved puzzle.
Spoiler:
I couldn't find a way to push the cigarette, nor a way to make the paper fall onto it. Okay to leave for later too?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #62
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo View Post
I've reached the kitchen, again with an unsolved puzzle.
Spoiler:
I couldn't find a way to push the cigarette, nor a way to make the paper fall onto it. Okay to leave for later too?
Spoiler:
It's the same story: you won't be able to do anything with that cigarette in the toilet until the very end, since it's a part of the final puzzle.
You have nothing to worry about .

Last edited by zobraks; 11-20-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: a -> the
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #63

Finally our little cockroach-family arrived in the bathroom.
I had problems with the last step, but here i am.
Apart from the encouter with this ugly spider i loved chapter one.

But now i want to know: what where the two secrets of the rat??

Someone commented in this playthrough that the rat has two secrets. Can't find the comment and can't find the secrets. - At least, if you don't cout the snatching mouth and the beating tail, but they are obvious.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #64
Senior *female* member

@Sughly
BM is a terrific game, join us, why don’t you. You can replay The Whispered World anytime.

@Diego
Yes, Eddie’s remark about the “fairy godmother" makes perfect sense if he has read about Roger’s mysterious gift of a million bucks in the paper which we find in the basement. Gamewise that’s the most logical solution. But even so, we don’t know that when we’re watching the intro and it does strike me as strange that Eddie is talking about money he can’t see, Roger could have put it on the bank.

@Zobraks
Thanks for your appealing, even touching marriage proposal. Of course I’ll give it serious consideration, there’s so much in it for me.

I saw a “puzzle” of the bathroom floor in your community playthrough at that other forum. Do you have maps of the other rooms as well?

I didn’t find the game easy at all. For instance, the slug pointed me in the right direction (pills on the radio) but I was running around there forever pushing pills all the way across the radio, because it didn’t occur to me to “turn on” the radio first.

Heard the same clanky sound whenever I entered some of the screens (not all of them) marked as overviews by you, so my conclusion is that the game regards those as overviews as well.

Nice stuff in the bathroom:

The lovely sucking noise when I’m touring the yucky toilet seat. Eddie as a little angel in mom’s message makes me giggle. The visual details in all the hints are great. The text on the bottles in the cabinet, like Gut Balm.

Here comes my nitpicking again. In the cutscene with Eddie taking a leak you can see the article on the noticeboard in front of him, but not the letter about suspending his license to serve alcohol. Totally unimportant, I know.

The message of the silverfish is confusing, it’s too far ahead. As has been mentioned, the burning cigarette is there after the cut scene but you can’t do anything with it yet. I guess it’s natural for the player to think in linear terms of different rooms they gain access to, whereas the developers were obviously thinking more in linear terms of the overall journey, including backtracking. Also, in the mostly non-linear exploration of separate rooms it would be hard to present the player with the right hint at the right time.

What are those 3 sparkling rings doing in the rat’s hole? Just curious.

Forgot to mention that for the first time I saw a fellow roachie being burned on the hot pipe in Eddie’s hovel. Must be one of the 260 screens I missed in my previous playthroughs.

@Zobraks and Pollo
I don’t think Pollo has missed anything. Unless you’re talking about a tiny hint *which can only be recognized as such* much later in the game.

@seagul
Yep, the tail and mouth. They may be obvious to you, but they are also easy to miss.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #65
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
what where the two secrets of the rat??
Someone commented in this playthrough that the rat has two secrets. Can't find the comment and can't find the secrets. - At least, if you don't count the snatching mouth and the beating tail, but they are obvious.
Yes, they are obvious, but not at first - they become obvious when that seemingly dead rat bites you and whacks you with his (creepy ) tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
@Zobraks
Thanks for your appealing, even touching marriage proposal. Of course I’ll give it serious consideration, there’s so much in it for me.
Hey, I know I've been subtle as rhinoceros with that sudden proposal, but the goal (your huge adventure games collection ) justifies the means .

Quote:
I saw a “puzzle” of the bathroom floor in your community playthrough at that other forum. Do you have maps of the other rooms as well?
No, I don't have more of those. I made screenshots of toilet floor (click "Prikaži") only to show Patton (one of the players in the first playthrough) that he was wrong arguing that all the screens of the toilet floor looked the same.

Quote:
I didn’t find the game easy at all. For instance, the slug pointed me in the right direction (pills on the radio) but I was running around there forever pushing pills all the way across the radio, because it didn’t occur to me to “turn on” the radio first.
Speaking of the clues the animals give in the cutscenes: it would be nice if you (or someone else) would write here what exactly is spoken in the cutscenes (you started with the cockroach on a water heater/gas burner) - that would be a great help for the hearing-impaired/non-native English speakers. And I am both.

Quote:
Heard the same clanky sound whenever I entered some of the screens (not all of them) marked as overviews by you, so my conclusion is that the game regards those as overviews as well.
Yes, I guess it does. I like the way the music stresses important things in Bad Mojo. Whenever you do something right/finish a task, there's that gorgeous theme ("taaaa-daaaa"). And "clunky sound" when you start climbing/climb up something.

Quote:
Nice stuff in the bathroom:
Eddie as a little angel in mom’s message makes me giggle.
Hmmm, I don't remember that. Didn't play toilet in this crawlthrough yet.

Quote:
What are those 3 sparkling rings doing in the rat’s hole? Just curious.
They had to throw in a bit of magic to make mom's deeds more mysterious.

Quote:
Forgot to mention that for the first time I saw a fellow roachie being burned on the hot pipe in Eddie’s hovel. Must be one of the 260 screens I missed in my previous playthroughs.
Speaking of screens, here are some from the first chapter (Eddie's room) that people/roaches easily overlook:

Quote:
@Zobraks and Pollo
I don’t think Pollo has missed anything. Unless you’re talking about a tiny hint *which can only be recognized as such* much later in the game.
Let me know what that tiny hint was, I forgot it. I thought Pollo didn't notice the relation between moving over fuses (when making sparks) and the state of power meter dials, but I was wrong. On the other hand (s)he didn't notice the patterns of numbers similar to those on the dials.

Last edited by zobraks; 11-21-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #66

I've finished the second chapter and right now i enjoy the mesmerizing view of Eddie's kitchen.

Now, Bad Mojo is not really a hard game, but i think that developers in sake of pulling players into the game world, especially in terms of orientation and puzzles, should had swapped second and first chapter, since second one is shorter, with less locations and easier.

The bathroom might be straightforward, but also quite fun. In contrast to the first chapter, i knew exactly where i was going and what was i going to do. Huge area in the middle which "serves no purpose" is not a big problem, and acts as sort of a red-herring here, to an already somewhat easy chapter. The "lookouts" from the right are especially helpfull in terms of orientation.

The only negative side of the chapter is the damned rat he'll scare the hell out of ya no matter if you know he is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
It takes some time to learn the basic moves of a cockroach, but if I (who really hate action in adventure games) was able to do that then anyone can do so.
yes, but it's not that it's hard to learn it, but rather that the psychics they implemented, since you'll always have some minor annoyance while pushing that tiny round pills for example.

Quote:
Yes, Eddie’s remark about the “fairy godmother" makes perfect sense if he has read about Roger’s mysterious gift of a million bucks in the paper which we find in the basement.
Do you know the full quotation of that line? I missed it.

Last edited by diego; 11-21-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #67
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Yes, Eddie’s remark about the “fairy godmother" makes perfect sense if...
Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Do you know the full quotation of that line? I missed it.
It's in the intro. Eddie knocks on the door of Roger's room and Roger asks "Who is it?". Eddie replies something like: "Who do you think it is, sweet heart? You fairy godmother?"

Last edited by zobraks; 11-21-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Eddie's smiley
Old 11-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #68
Senior *female* member

[...] means that I didn't catch that word.

Mouse:
you'll find her in the cellar
you'll need her if you crawl
beneath the sleeping giant
within the broken wall
be wary of the low lands
be careful on the floor
don't stray near the cat's hands
beneath the cellar door

Slug:
a capsule filled with dreams
above a golden well [...]
dubloons cascade in streams
you must remember this
the drawbridge lid is heavy
a weight must cause a fall
to span an electric levy
gain passage through the wall

Silverfish:
this room has deeper meaning
beyond the sacred rat
watch the special screening
outside the mirror crack
tobacco leaves are smoking
atop a porcelain god
if the paper bridge is stoking
it will rouse the sleeping guard

Ant:
strange medicinal elixers
pills and creams and charms
a cabinet of bewitchers
protection from bodily harms
enter the razor graveyard
above the great rat king
heed me, the modest [...]
and avoid his deadly sting
you need to start an avalanche
to cause a minor jolt
you will not get a second chance
so push the carriage bolt.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #69
Senior Passer-by

Great job! Thanks, Fien!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #70

I never understood something of the rhyme by the co-cockroach in chapter 1. It implies you have to do something with the burning gas-stove or whatever it was. Maybe in a later chapter?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #71
Senior *female* member

Mom lecturing talking to you in the sewer and the locket after you've left the basement:

Do not fear me little one, I'm your guide and friend. Do not loathe your appearance, it is merely a mask through which truth may be conveyed. Ask yourself who you are and look all around you. For you are there, and there is another who is part of you. A great fire burns in the cellar of your heart. Be careful and wary of your noxious intent.

Mom when you've left the bathroom:

The rat king lies dead and with it may your fear die as well. Fear is the great inhibitor you must conquer before you can cross the threshold of awareness. The means to solve any dilemma lie at your disposal. Remember, where there is fire, there must be smoke. Answers smoulder in the recesses of thought and on the precipices of great fountains.

Great fountains indeed!

Origami, so it's mom talking about the "fire", not the co-cockroach. Nice word, btw. Almost as nice as the Dutch word for roach. For the benefit of the few non-Dutch participants in the crawlthrough (Pollo and Origami are Dutch too): it's kakkerlak.

Last edited by Fien; 11-22-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 AM   #72
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
... the co-cockroach. Nice word, btw. Almost as nice as the Dutch word for roach. For the benefit of the few non-Dutch participants in the crawlthrough (Pollo and Origami are Dutch too): it's kakkerlak.
For the collectors of terms in various languages:
in Serbian cockroach is бубашваба/bubašvaba [it means "German* bug" (or rather "Bug German"), and it's pronounced (something like) "boobashvabba"] .

Thanks for more titles, Fien! Keep them coming.

* "German" here is a noun, not an adjective.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #73
Chicken with a bite

There's a whole list at http://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/kakkerlak
(I hope I get all the languages right as they are in Dutch on that page)

* Alabama: iskanpatha
* Armenian: ուտիճ (hy) (utich)
* Bosnian: žohar (bs) m
* Bulgarian: хлебарка (bg) (khlebarka) v
* Catalan: escarabat (ca) m
* Chinese: 蟑螂 (zh) (zhāngláng)
* Danish: kakerlak (da) g
* German: Schabe (de) v, Kakerlake (de) m
* English: cockroach (en)
* Esperanto: blato (eo)
* Finnish: torakka (fi)
* French: blatte (fr) v, cafard (fr) m, cancrelat (fr) m, coquerelle (fr) v (Quebec)
* Greek: κατσαρίδα (el) (katsar*ða) v, μαυρομαμούνα (el) (mavromamúna) v, βρομομαμούνα (el) (vromomamúna) v, βλάττη (el) (vláti) v, κανθαρίδα (el) (kanthar*ða) (ongewoon) v
* Hebrew: ג'וּק (he) (juk) m
* Hongarian: csótány (hu)
* Ido: blato (io)
* Indonesian: kecoak (id)
* Interlingua: blatta (ia)
* Italian: blatta (it) v, scarafaggio (it) m
* Japanese: ゴキブリ (ja) (gokiburi)
* Korean: 바퀴벌레 (ko) (bakwibeolre)
* Latin: blatta (la) v
* Lituwanian: tarakonas (lt) m
* Luxembourgish: Kakerlak (lb)
* Mongolian: жоом (mn) (joom)
* Napolitian: scarrafóne
* Norwegian: kakerlakk (no) m
* Papiamento: kakalaka
* Persian: سوسک (fa) (susk)
* Polish: karaluch (pl) m
* Portuguese: barata (pt) v
* Romanian: gândac (ro) m
* Russian: таракан (ru) (tarakan) m
* Slovenian: ščurek (sl) m
* Spanish: cucaracha (es) m
* Czech: šváb (cs) m
* Turkish: hamam böceği (tr)
* Urdu: جهنگر (ur)
* Swedish: kackerlacka (sv) g
Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #74

Quote:
Spanish: cucaracha (es) m
Well, no "cucaracha" word is complete without a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0nQMgaJibc

I wonder if this is the music in Spanish localization of Bad Mojo
Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 AM   #75

No Fien I wasn't talking about that rhyme. I meant the first one. The one where we're presented with 2 ways to make it past the vacuum part.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:37 AM   #76
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
There's a whole list...
... and a famous Mexican revolutionary song.
I loved that song when I was a kid , didn't have a slightest idea what it was about.
edit: Diego barged in while I was typing.

Quote:
Bosnian: žohar
It's cockroach in Croatian, actually.
Quote:
Bulgarian: хлебарка
Bulgarians call it a "bread bug". "Hleb" (хлеб) means "bread" in Serbian too.
Quote:
Czech: šváb
Hehe, Czechs call it just "German" (also a noun) .
Quote:
Hmmm... any particular reason?
Beats me. I bet it has nothing to do with their history.

Last edited by zobraks; 11-22-2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: more linguistics
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #77
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
No Fien I wasn't talking about that rhyme. I meant the first one. The one where we're presented with 2 ways to make it past the vacuum part.
Yeah? Show me. Shrug.

Quote:
Hehe, Czechs call it just "German" (also a noun)
Hmmm... any particular reason?

My sister lived in Thailand for a couple of years. She once told me that the cockroach is called "doomed" there because it takes roaches so long to die. The Thai must be very tender-hearted, such empathy is unusual. Personally, I'd rather call the roach "damned" because it takes so long to kill it.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #78
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
My sister lived in Thailand for a couple of years. She...
Now let me tell you that I had never met a cockroach in my life (I swear!) until I went to work in a Near East country where there were hundreds of those critters crawling over the kitchen we had (in a local motel).
And that was in the middle of a desert...

Last edited by zobraks; 11-22-2010 at 05:08 AM. Reason: stories from the past
Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #79
Chicken with a bite

First and only time I saw one was in the kitchen of a backpackers hotel in New Zealand. Fortunately I always bring my own cooking gear which I wash carefully and keep in a plastic bag in my own room.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Hehe, Czechs call it just "German" (also a noun) .
So I'm the only real cockroach here.
Or are all cockroach germans????

Thanks for the translation Fien.
I play the game in the real cockroach language and it's nice to read the english words.