Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   TUBMC (The Unofficial Bad Mojo Crawlthrough) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28020-tubmc-unofficial-bad-mojo-crawlthrough.html)

Fien 11-14-2010 03:34 AM

Of course, the Tex Murphy series! I'd forgotten all about them. :shifty: So there's at least one other adventure with the Golden Gate. I'll put it in spoilers and hope Master Zobraks forgives me for digressing.

Spoiler:
Runaway: A Road Adventure

zobraks 11-14-2010 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seagul (Post 563307)
My game only works if i have no quick time on my computer. So i have to whatch youtube for the little movies. :frusty:

You don't need to watch the BM movies on the Internet, Seagull. Go to the MOVIE folder of the BM disc, right-click on any movie you want to watch and choose your media player to play it. Even better, you can set your media player (I use VLC Media Player and recommend it) to open the .MOV files - Apple QuickTime's proprietary format - by default.

Here is the list of all the movies from the first chapter of BM:

Code:

ANIMALCL.MOV
BABYMICE.MOV
BLOW.MOV
C_ESMOKE.MOV
CE_2.MOV
CE_3.MOV
M_CIGAR.MOV
MOMCLUE.MOV
MOMMA.MOV
PRESS.MOV
SLUG.MOV
SLUGCLUE.MOV
VACBAG.MOV

Quote:

At the beginning we see a bridge. Is it cognizable for someone what bridge/what town this is? I don't think it's important, just curious.

I already said what city (even what street) Bad Mojo is taking place in :P:
Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 562906)
... crawlthrough along the walls and floors, brooms and boxes of Eddie's On the Waterfront, the not so famous bar on Townsend St. in San Francisco, USA.

Quote:

Before Eddi knocks, Roger states that it is because of his landlords he gets in trouble. But Eddies "lock it" only makes him remember the locket. So Roger only wants to blame somebody?

I knew you would bring new angles on BM stuff. Roger is miserable, so blaming others for his misfortune is quite normal :D.

Quote:

I like the way Sommers is acting over the top. Roger seems to be totally crazy. And totally ready to crawl into "the night of my soul", as he says it. :crazy:

In my opinion that's all part of the master plan to make Roger disgusting and despicable, so horrible that the form of cockroach fits him like a glove :P.
BM management did a great job by finding and choosing Michael Sommers for the role of a yucky insect.

BTW, when I was waiting for the comments it was all quiet here. Yesterday I took a day off and went for a walk (the Sun was shining, the temperature was over 20°C, no wind - like always in November :P) and when I looked at the topic this morning - there were so many interesting observations that I still can't answer to all of them (outside is another gorgeous day - this climate has gone crazy http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...i/th_wacko.gif - inviting me to go outside). But I will.

zobraks 11-14-2010 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 563324)
The famous San Francisco bridge. The same bridge you saw in A New Beginning. :)
[[Question for quizz lovers, like Master Zobraks: there are at least two other adventures where you can see this bridge. Which ones?]]

Oops, I didn't remember neither Tex Murphy games, nor...
Spoiler:
... Runaway.

I'm a bit slow and totally exhausted after six weeks of perpetual guessing the mysterious adventures :crazy:.

Quote:

The basement. We have sewer pipes in Holland and I bet you have them too in Germany. :P

What do you now? Even we in Serbia http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...asaslamkom.gif have those pipes.
Progress is a wonderful thing, we no longer have to do it behind the beech trees :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 563332)
... hope Master Zobraks forgives me for digressing.

You'll be hanged by the neck, as a warning :7.
Just kidding - when I said I am a benevolent dictator the stress was on "benevolent", not on "dictator".
Feel free to digress a little, this is an unoffical crawlthrough :).

seagul 11-14-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 563336)
You don't need to watch the BM movies on the Internet, Seagull.

Thanks for your help. But i tried your tips and many others: they don't work.
I need the youtube bad mojo walkthrough because only with it i can see what action triggers what movie.
But it's ok by me. As long as it works. :P
I had problems with sanitarium and even with blackstone chronicles: it is normal for my playthroughs (or for my experiences with quicktime).
Quote:

I already said what city (even what street) Bad Mojo is taking place in :P:

oh, yes, sorry. I can't read. properly.
Quote:

The famous San Francisco bridge. The same bridge you saw in A New Beginning. :)

Oh, yes, i played it two week ago. I fit in the complete idiot category wery vell. :D
Quote:

.. claims he's no longer the victim, but whining is second nature to him.

Quote:

In my opinion that's all part of the master plan to make Roger disgusting and despicable, so horrible that the form of cockroach fits him like a glove :P.

It works! :crazy:

zobraks 11-14-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seagul (Post 563347)
Thanks for your help. But i tried your tips and many others: they don't work.

You're welcome. I'm sorry it didn't help you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seagul (Post 563347)
I need the youtube bad mojo walkthrough because only with it i can see what action triggers what movie.
But it's ok by me. As long as it works. :P

You're right. It's no use to know what cutscenes are played in a chapter if you don't know when/where they're played.

I just remembered other people had the same problem with QuickTime like you, Seagull, and posted this:

Quote:

1) Uninstall whatever version of QuickTime you have (especially if it is the version that came with the game)
2) Install QuickTime Alternative v1.56 (available here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfi...timealt156.exe)
3) Go to Start > Programs > QuickTime Alternative > Configuration > QuickTime
4) Go to the final entry in the drop down list (Video Settings) and select "Safe Mode (GDI Only)" and close the configuration tool.
5) Play Bad Mojo Redux!
source
I hope this will work. It's less exhausting than to look at YT every now and then.

zobraks 11-14-2010 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 563326)
A complete idiot's guide! Perfect! Sound convenient for me. ;).

I'm glad you liked it. :) We aim to please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 563326)
Last time I tried playing I indeed felt like an idiot.

Don't feel embarrassed, we all did at some stage. Let me tell you what an idiot I was http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...i/th_blush.gif.

When I played BM for the first time (in 2006) everything went smooth: I easily installed it, started it, watched the intro and there I was in front of the opened tube (leading to Eddie's room, which I didn't know by then).
I (naturally) didn't read the manual so I tried moving the mouse :P, pressing Enter, F1, F5, Spacebar - to no avail http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...th_isuse-1.gif. Then I gazed at it for a couple of seconds and (in a mystic moment of revelation :D) suddenly realized I have to go forward http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...th_boodala.gif and I pressed the "up" arrow!

And look at me now, I'm leading a BM crawlthrough http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...i/th_kralj.gif.

PolloDiablo 11-15-2010 11:52 PM

Oh dear, this game is hard. Not just because the controls are a bit too sensitive for my taste which makes my attempts at pushing stuff go wrong all the time, and not just because I have a hard time distinguishing between lethal and non-lethal puddles. But also because I've encountered a glitch a few times. After saving and resuming, I am often in a totally different spot on the screen than before, sometimes even right in the middle of something sticky and dangerous or on the next screen... so I tend to avoid saving when I'm near a potential source of danger, and then ofcourse I walk right into it. :D :frusty:

zobraks 11-16-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloDiablo (Post 563549)
... the controls are a bit too sensitive for my taste which makes my attempts at pushing stuff go wrong all the time

Oddly enough, the only place you'll need some real skill in (quick) pushing things around in BM is the very first time you have to push something in BM. Yeah, I'm talking about the spider-cigarette butt routine, but you can practise pushing cigarette butts before encountering the spider, right after entering Eddie's room - whether you go left or right ;).

Quote:

I have a hard time distinguishing between lethal and non-lethal puddles.

That's simple: don't go into any puddle, lethal or not (the lethal ones kill you, the non-lethal ones slow your progression). When you start getting stuck - press the down/back key to get back.

Quote:

... I've encountered a glitch a few times. After saving and resuming, I am often in a totally different spot on the screen than before, sometimes even right in the middle of something sticky and dangerous or on the next screen... so I tend to avoid saving when I'm near a potential source of danger, and then ofcourse I walk right into it. :D :frusty:

That's not a glitch, that's just how BM is made :P. The best way to save a position is to save it in a screen immediately BEFORE a screen containing a danger (if you want to be able to return to a safe position after failing to pass an obstacle) or immediately AFTER a screen containing a danger (if you passed it and want to avoid finding yourself in the middle of trouble). I remember saving a game after passing the Cockroach Corral but in the same screen. When I loaded it I was in front of the whole puzzle and had to do it all over again. Next time I passed the Cockroach Corral I went into the next screen, saved there and everything was OK afterwards.

Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bad Mojo - unabridged edition contains all these advice (and some more), but I was too lazy to translate the whole of it :D.

Fien 11-16-2010 01:27 AM

Well, I experienced something similar. I restored a saved game and was stuck, couldn't move at all. Restoring again didn't work, the only way to solve the problem was restarting the game and restoring again. Funny thing is my little roach was in a different place on the screen. I didn't have this problem in my previous playthoughs. So far it has happened twice, near the spider and near the high-wire act (no immediate danger there).

I finished the first part of the crawlthrough and will post my comments later today. ;)

zobraks 11-16-2010 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 563554)
Well, I experienced something similar. ... Funny thing is my little roach was in a different place on the screen. I didn't have this problem in my previous playthoughs.

I noticed that while playing Bad Mojo for the first time. Apparently (after loading a saved game) there are positions you are placed in by default in a certain screen, regardless of where you were when the game was saved.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 563554)
I finished the first part of the crawlthrough and will post my comments later today. ;)

Great! :9~

Fien 11-16-2010 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 563564)
I noticed that while playing Bad Mojo for the first time. Apparently (after loading a saved game) there are positions you are placed in by default in a certain screen, regardless of where you were when the game was saved.

Yes, but I meant that my roachie was in a different position when stuck and unable to move after restoring, than when the restoring went fine and I could continue playing.

Origami 11-16-2010 07:57 AM

This is how it worked for me.

I save I start at a different position.
I restore that save, I start from the same position as when I saved.

So what is the deadline? I need to be finished with the bathroom before friday right?

zobraks 11-16-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Origami (Post 563576)
So what is the deadline? I need to be finished with the bathroom before friday right?

No, not the bathroom. You should get out of Eddie's room by Friday evening. Preferably. We need a schedule in order to set a pace of the crawlthrough, but that doesn't mean you can't play/comment a chapter once its playing time is up.

Fien 11-16-2010 05:41 PM

Revisiting Eddie’s Bar. For those of you who haven’t played the first part yet: yes, spoilers ahead.

I watched the intro several times and I already said I love it, over-the-top acting and all. So here comes the nitpicking. Eddie warns Roger he shouldn’t leave his door open with so much money laying around. But there is no money laying around, it’s all safely tucked away in the closed briefcase.

For me, the most important and most enjoyable aspect of Bad Mojo is the exploration from an unusual point of view. A whole new world in the basement to discover, limited at first but after the high-wire act it really opens up. On the floor under the bed, over the bed with Eddie in it, the underside of the bed with the money under the mattress, and so on. Can’t get enough of it. Awesome. Very well done. It does feel like a three-dimensional world.

The puzzles come next. “Mom, look! No hands!” They are clever within the obvious restrictions and a refreshing change from collecting-usable-objects. I hate the spider, it’s so fast. But it’s the only action puzzle. I hope everybody has discovered the two secrets of the disgusting dead rat. And I’m joining the line of idiots, cause it took me almost thirty minutes to find my way out of the trashcan (did I mention that I have played BM twice before... :shifty:) and I was stuck forever in the paint, discovered the way out by accident.

The story is the weakest part for me. But I quite like the way it is told. Fortunately, the over-the-top acting doesn’t stop with the intro. That doctor. And the baby is so obviously a doll it’s hilarious. The stories in the paper are illuminating. My favorite is the part about how Roger’s goal was to “put cockroaches onto the endangered species list by the year 2000". :D

That’s it for now, there’s much more to say, for instance about the interesting transition to the next room, the overviews and the advice from the other creatures. It’ll keep, this is just part one and I’m looking forward to the comments from first-time players.

Last but not least: the antsy music is perfect. I can’t imagine any other type of music that fits the roach journey so well.

zobraks 11-17-2010 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 563630)
Eddie warns Roger he shouldn’t leave his door open with so much money laying around. But there is no money laying around, it’s all safely tucked away in the closed briefcase.

Heh, I didn't notice that at all :Z. And I played BM four or five times before.
Quote:

For me, the most important and most enjoyable aspect of Bad Mojo is the exploration from an unusual point of view.

I fully agree. I love to explore the unknown, and Eddie's room is a very interesting place to explore.

The most famous (specially because he's one of only the few of the kind :frown:) adventure games reviewer in Serbia, Slobodan Macedonić from "Svet kompjutera" magazine, objected that there were too many screens in Bad Mojo that "have no use at all". In his opinion, there was too much crawling in the game and too few puzzles:

Quote:

Originally Posted by S. Macedonić (translation by zobraks)
Those screens seem to be there only for the cockroach to go on and on and on (luckily it don't have to shoot and shoot and shoot at the same time)... without doing anything creative actually.

source
He said Eddie's room has some 200 screens and only about 15 in which you have do do something.

In the BM playthrough at FSK I said he was wrong and argued that Eddie's room must be observed as a single location (not 200 locations/screens) in which you have to solve more puzzles than in a single chapter of an average adventure game. I also stressed that BM is more about exploration (physical exploration of the rooms and detective exploration of Roger's life/past) than about puzzle solving (you can play "Myst" or "Rhem" if you need more puzzles), and reminded the audience that S.M. himself (correctly) noticed that in BM the accent is on exporation. I also asked what kind of space exploration BM would be if there were only, say, twenty-thirty screens of Eddie's room [there are 260 of those, actually - I counted them :crazy::7 - and 43 of them have something to read/notice and 17 something to do ("creative screens")].
Quote:

A whole new world in the basement to discover, limited at first but after the high-wire act it really opens up.

Yeah, it really opens up after coming off that table with a vacuum cleaner (one way or another, having more to explore after switching the v.c. off, of course).
Quote:

On the floor under the bed, over the bed with Eddie in it, the underside of the bed with the money under the mattress, and so on. Can’t get enough of it. Awesome. Very well done. It does feel like a three-dimensional world.

As I said, I love exploring and I really enjoyed the cockroach perspective (with usual everyday life objects looking strange and mysterious). I tried to go everywhere and do all kind of crazy things:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q..._Edispava2.jpg http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q..._Edispava4.jpg http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q..._Edispava5.jpg
I was delighted to have the opportunity to crawl over sleeping Eddy and so disappointed I couldn't get into his nostrils :frown: http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...i/th_kreza.gif (now, THAT would be something! http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q..._opanachke.gif).

It's amazing how they made all those lively pictures from so many angles.
Quote:

The puzzles come next. “Mom, look! No hands!” They are clever within the obvious restrictions and a refreshing change from collecting-usable-objects. I hate the spider, it’s so fast. But it’s the only action puzzle. I hope everybody has discovered the two secrets of the disgusting dead rat. And I’m joining the line of idiots, cause it took me almost thirty minutes to find my way out of the trashcan (did I mention that I have played BM twice before... :shifty:) and I was stuck forever in the paint, discovered the way out by accident.

Yes, the puzzles in Bad Mojo are so original and so well conceived. I enjoyed every one of them.
It's interesting that each new time I played BM I (also) had more trouble with the obstacles (spider was somehow tougher to beat each new time, I lost a couple of lives trying to short-circuit the vacuum cleaner and (like you!) I got lost in a trash can, although I remembered the basic pattern of going through it). I also forgot that I have to turn the v.c. on before meddling with the wires...
Quote:

The story is the weakest part for me. But I quite like the way it is told.

It's not easy to write a good story. I think the story in BM is quite good and original and (I agree) the way it is revealed (with all the notes, newspapers, certificates, Eddie's monologues, family history sequences and so on) is supreme.
Quote:

Fortunately, the over-the-top acting doesn’t stop with the intro. That doctor. And the baby is so obviously a doll it’s hilarious.

The creators of BM (unconsciously?) took advantage of a tight budget by making those hilarious details. It's interesting that the doctor in the birth cutscene is Gerald Simon, the father of BM's producer Phil Simon.
Quote:

Last but not least: the antsy music is perfect. I can’t imagine any other type of music that fits the roach journey so well.

Thank you for making me learn what "antsy" means :) (never heard a word before)! Yeah, the music is really fidgety, it fits perfectly and adds a lot to the whole atmosphere.

That difficult to describe atmosphere of Bad Mojo is so unique http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...th_worship.gif.

Attachment 2148
Trivia: the author of the great extraordinary music in BM is Peter Stone, aka DJ Bat or XORCIST who mainly composes gothic music. You can listen to his online radio show Cyberden if you like.

BTW, what do you think "bad mojo" in the title means: a bad spell Roger is under or literally a bad amulet that brought him a misfortune (blessing in disguise?) of turning into a cockroach?

zobraks 11-17-2010 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 563329)
Golden Gate (obviously)

The bridge from the Bad Mojo intro (going over the Townsend St.) is NOT Golden Gate:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ge-picture.jpg

, it's the Oakland Bay Bridge, better known as the Bay Bridge:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...bay_bridge.jpg

seagul 11-17-2010 09:06 AM

I love crawling through the game once more!
It' my third time (as you, Fien). But every time i see new points of views.
You are sparkling with details, zobraks. I must try to crawl on Eddies face. Gives my the shivers to see your screenshots.:D
260 screens - i'm sure i must have missed a few.
Must... try... once... again ....
bye bye, very busy :9

zobraks 11-17-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seagul (Post 563674)
You are sparkling with details, zobraks.

Thanks, Seagull, I'm trying to give all the details I can remember. Most of the Bad Mojo trivia I took from the Bad Mojo Redux Chat. Read it carefully, there are spoilers out there.

Quote:

I must try to crawl on Eddies face. Gives my the shivers to see your screenshots.:D

There's even a more interesting (quite bumpy! :D) spot to crawl over :9~ http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...i/th_kreza.gif, but that's in chapter six.
Who said Suki? :9

Quote:

260 screens - i'm sure i must have missed a few.

I believe I missed some too. I'll post a couple of the rare screenshots when the chapter is over. ;)

seagul 11-17-2010 11:23 AM

I have to thank you, zobraks. I finally can play the game with the movies. I installed QT_LITE_400 and it worked!
Didn't see your reply till today.
But now i have another problem. I wanted to create a map of the room by making screenshot with Fraps. But Fraps doesn't work with BM.
Do you know another quick way to make screenshots or did you make a map? 260 screenshots with print screen would drive me crazy!:crazy:
Didn't see the chat.
Have to take a look. Happily i played the game and can't be spoilered. :D

zobraks 11-17-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seagul (Post 563696)
I have to thank you, zobraks. I finally can play the game with the movies. I installed QT_LITE_400 and it worked!

Great! http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...liji/th_up.gif
I'm very glad you made it :).