You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure TUBMC (The Unofficial Bad Mojo Crawlthrough)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #241
Senior *female* member

A very good 2011 to all roachies and non-roachies alike!
And I hope there will be other Unofficial Playthroughs in 2011 which will be as good as this one has been.

Interesting final thoughts, Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Beneath that is a complex and emotional father-son story with fate throwing "Bad Mojo" at them, and with Eddie's bar as sort of a purgatory for both, especially Eddie. It's interesting how Eddie becomes more of a main character rather than Roger throughout the game. At first, we see him as simple, rude and careless man. He's only after the rent money and making jokes. We sense through empty and dirty bar also his isolation and loneliness, but learn even more along the way.
One reason (for me) that Eddie's story is more touching, is that the cut-scenes with Roger are sort of a caricature, not just over-the-top like Eddie's. In particular the ones with the bully and the laughing nun. The dr. Michaelson scene was not a caricature, so we can empathize better with Roger's frustration at not being given a chance.

I have one more question about the game... I'll understand if nobody feels like discussing it at this point, but I'll ask it anyway. And I never posted the text of the intro, so here it is, just to complete the whole thing. My question: I find it intriguing that Angelina says "it won't work, it won't work" (if that really is what she says) at the end of the intro. Is she talking to herself, having doubts, or is she talking to her son?

Intro:

All my life I felt helpless, cheated, stepped-on. I was always the little man, the square peg, the forgotten one. But that night everything was gonna change. I was tired of just sitting around, accepting my fate, a rat-hole apartment, a dead-end job. So I decided to do something about it. I had the perfect plan... my destination untrackable, the stolen cash untraceble. I’d simply disappear into the night. But of course there was a hitch, a fly in the ointment, or should I say roach. My bags were all packed and ready... ticket, passport, a change of clothes. I was no longer the victim. This time I was in control. By sunrise I’d be on a plane to Mexico with a big smile on my face and a small fortune nestled at my feet. If it wasn’t for my idiot landlord, I’d be there right now, sipping margaritas and basking in the warm glow of a job well-done.

R: Who is it?
E: Who do you think it is, sweetheart, your fairy godmother? Open up Samms, I know you’re in there.
R: You got some nerve coming up here at this hour, Eddie.
E: Where’s my freaking rent, Samms?
R: You’ll get the rent. In the morning.
E: Your rent is 3 days late, I’ll take it now!
R: Don’t push me, old man! I said you’ll get it in the morning.
E: Looks like you’re packing up for a trip... you skipping out on me?
R: Yeah, I’m skipping out. Look, if I pay you now, will you get the hell out of here and leave me alone?
E: Sure, sweetheart, sure I’ll leave you alone.
R: Alright, now go back downstairs to that roach-infested hovel you call a room and don’t bother me again.
E: That’s an awful lot of money to have laying around in this neighborhood. And your door’s open. Maybe next time you might want to lock it.
R: Yeah, yeah, that’s a good one, that’s good advice, Eddie.

The locket! There you are....
Something crazy happened when I looked at that necklace, that strange locket which was supposed to be my mother’s. A weird feeling, like a twisted spell. Bad mojo. My brain reeled, my knees buckled and then there was black. The warm and somehow comforting feeling of darkness... a long and perilous detour into the night of my soul...

Angelina: It won’t work... it won’t work.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #242

I can only talk about the german version. There is no Angelina talking. After Roger finishs his monologue, there are some distant voices and laughters, but for me they seem to be memories of Roger coming into his consciousness.
But perhaps it is different in the english version?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #243
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I have one more question about the game... I find it intriguing that Angelina says "it won't work, it won't work" (if that really is what she says) at the end of the intro. Is she talking to herself, having doubts, or is she talking to her son?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
I can only talk about the german version. There is no Angelina talking.
But perhaps it is different in the english version?
I never heard Angelina speaking at the end of the intro at all, let alone heard her telling "It won't work". I'll run the game one more time to try to catch that line.

Anyway, I believe it's something she said to herself (Watching Roger's bad legwork and general clumsiness at the start of his roach career - who would have thought he would improve his skills so rapidly to beat the spider? That's what I call a steep learning curve.). Roger might have said the same if he was able to speak at the end of the intro. Eddie would tell Roger makes a lousy cockroach too, and Eddie is the best person to tell - he's seen tons of roaches in his life .

Just kidding. Angelina probably thinks:

My opinion is that with all the help Angelina gave him (providing he could understand what she actually said), Roger would have to be an idiot not to succeed .
Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #244
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
I never heard Angelina speaking at the end of the intro at all, let alone heard her telling "It won't work". I'll run the game one more time to try to catch that line.
She says it 3 times, I think. When you zoom in on Roger's eye and start falling. To tell you the truth, I'm not entirely sure of the words. I'm not even sure it's Angelina. A woman's voice, that's for sure. But it starts with laughter which sounds like that lovely nun, so it could be her as well. Or the nurse who delivers the baby. Or all 3 of them.

Where is the designer, we NEED him!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 AM   #245
Senior *female* member

Oh, I forgot that I have one more nit to pick. I promise it will be the last one. In the intro Roger locks the door after Eddie's "good advice". But in the very last cut scene when he wakes up again, he grabs the money, his passport and ticket, and runs out of the door without unlocking it.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #246
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
In the intro Roger locks the door after Eddie's "good advice". But in the very last cut scene when he wakes up again, he grabs the money, his passport and ticket, and runs out of the door without unlocking it.
Hehe, it's a continuity problem. In filmmaking they have a person whose only task is to deal with things like this, but BM was on a tight budget.

Quote:
I have one more nit to pick. I promise it will be the last one.
Hey, nitpicking is what this topic is all about - keep those interesting observations coming! I sincerely hope you'll break that promise.

Speaking of nitpicking: I noticed yet another logic problem in BM: when you light the paper towel (in the toilet) there is some smoke and the fire alarm is set off but you don't expect a fire to rage in a bathroom with hardly anything inflammable except the paper towels and toilet paper. Yet when Eddie wakes up, smells something strange and opens the door of his room, there's awful lot of smoke in the hallway, suggesting the whole place is on fire!

I find it highly improbable that such a great fire (that can devour the whole building) can start in a toilet/bathroom. Perhaps Eddie had some (luxurious and highly inflammable) drapes in that toilet that we didn't notice?

On the other hand, the gas was already leaking (since the chapter three when Roger the roach stopped it burning in a cooker) and filling the bar, so (with all the fire blazing around) the whole joint should have been blown up long before Eddie made it outside and (accordingly) Roger shouldn't have a chance to escape.

Here's my favourite part of Eddie's acting - his panic while escaping:

Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 AM   #247
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Hehe, it's a continuity problem. In filmmaking they have a person whose only task is to deal with things like this, but BM was on a tight budget.
Or maybe they thought it wouldn't look so good if Roger had to fumble with locks before running out the door.

Quote:
Hey, nitpicking is what this topic is all about - keep those interesting observations coming! I sincerely hope you'll break that promise.
Great! I'm gonna break it right away. I noticed another nit as I uploaded the BM pic for the potty quiz: the toilet lid, cover, whatever that thingee is called in English, is down. It should be up or we wouldn't be able to see inside the bowl when Roger is walking on the seat.

Quote:
I find it highly improbable that such a great fire (that can devour the whole building) can start in a toilet/bathroom. Perhaps Eddie had some (luxurious and highly inflammable) drapes in that toilet that we didn't notice?
That bathroom fire was only meant to warn Eddie so he would get out in time! Just like Mom tells you to. If you just save yourself or don't do anything at all, the whole place will explode anyway.

Quote:
Here's my favourite part of Eddie's acting - his panic while escaping:
Yeah, I love that part too. Very convincing.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #248

So, master zobraks,
what will be your next unoffical playthrough???
Can't wait to start.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #249
Senior *female* member

What she said!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #250
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
So, master zobraks,
what will be your next unoffical playthrough???
Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

That was just another outburst of my (bad) humo(u)r Name:  blush.gif
Views: 205
Size:  1.0 KB, and now seriously: I enjoyed hosting Bad Mojo (I've done it twice already! ), but I don't think I have enough enthusiasm to take a game master role for another adventure game so soon. I would prefer to take my turn as a player in some playthrough (unofficial or not) some of you girls/guys would host first (although I can't promise anything).

I'm looking forward to new suggestions in this topic.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #251

Did you people miss me? =D
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #252
Senior Passer-by

Name:  blink.gif
Views: 159
Size:  1.0 KB
Why, yes... like a hole in the head.
Name:  pleza.gif
Views: 162
Size:  645 Bytes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #253

zobraks, how dare you!
Origami: i miss you. I miss our little crawlthrough and all the fun we had.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #254

^
We hardly conversed though. >.>

I still haven't finished it. =P
I just transferred my save file from the desk computer to this laptop. Now I have to reinstall the game. >.>
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #255
Senior *female* member

Origami, you didn't contribute anything of value to this great thread. The playthrough is over. Who cares if you haven't finished the game yet.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #256
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
zobraks, how dare you!
Heh, I was a game master, I can dare .
What I said (so) subtly Name:  opanachke.gif
Views: 118
Size:  959 Bytes, Fien said bluntly Name:  queen.gif
Views: 122
Size:  279 Bytes.

Quote:
I miss our little crawlthrough and all the fun we had.
Me too, but, as the friend of mine from the past put it:
Quote:
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass,
Of glory in the flower,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #257
Senior *female* member

Quote:
What I said (so) subtly, Fien said bluntly .
Wow, it would never occur to me to call a hole in the head subtle. In Dutch we say "like toothache". Aren't we Dutchies kind and polite.

Last edited by Fien; 02-10-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #258
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
What I said (so) subtly Name:  opanachke.gif
Views: 119
Size:  959 Bytes, Fien said bluntly Name:  queen.gif
Views: 123
Size:  279 Bytes.
Quote:
Wow, it would never occur to me to call a hole in the head subtle.
Hey, I put Name:  opanachke.gif
Views: 119
Size:  959 Bytes after subtly, indicating I was just kidding . Of course I was blunt too .

BTW, "to need something like a hole in the head" is not a local (Southeastern Europe ) expression, I first noticed it in (my favourite) "Catcher in the Rye".
Quote:
In Dutch we say "like toothache". Aren't we Dutchies kind and polite.
Hehe, you Dutch are . No wonder you achieved so much throughout the history Name:  idolopoklonstvo.gif
Views: 122
Size:  265 Bytes.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #259

Quote:
Origami, you didn't contribute anything of value to this great thread. The playthrough is over
Didn't stop this thread from being active.