You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Cyberpunk/futuristic adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Replicant

Default Cyberpunk/futuristic adventure games?

Hey all, this is my first post here... I am a long time adventure game lover. I love many genres but have a particular fondness for cyberpunk/future-based games. Two of my favourite adventure games ever are of this style (one moreso than the other)--

Blade Runner
The Longest Journey

I'm wondering what others people might recommend or if there are any in development? I know of Beneath a Steel Sky (liked it, always had problems with bugs) and vaguely remember some old-old ones with names that I forget.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Try this two:

1. Death Wore Endless Feathers - a very convincing cyberpunkish cracker-scene adventure with strong graphic style and anthropomorphized dragons(?)/animals(?) as characters

2. Technobabylon - a really cool one-room (+virtual reality) cyberpunk, sci-fi game that reminds me a lot of Beneath a Steel Sky (visual style and virtual reality gameplay).

Both are really great and both are free, so I'd say you must try them at least.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Adventure games fanatic

Few games you might want to check out:

Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy
http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=54
The Moment of Silence
http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=158
Perry Rhodan
http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=991

There are also 2 games in development:

Alternativa- which is supposed to be out this month
http://www.centauriproduction.com/alternativa.php
Adam Syndrome- with no release date yet
http://www.darkmotif.com/
Old 11-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #4

I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself unfortunately, but I've heard good things (from the few who've actually heard of it at all that is) about Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Replicant

Thanks for these recommendations guys, I will definitely try them out and I checked the Alternativa thread and see it will be on Steam, so is definitely going on my Wishlist.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
She Wants Revenge

Culpa Innata
http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=758

People often forget this great cyberpunk (murder)mystery. I think it beats Perry Rhodan and The Moment of Silence hands down and those are decent games too. TLJ is still better but it is basically the second best adventure there is after Discworld Noir.

There is a sequel coming for Culpa Innata too, postponed quite a lot of times but hopefully not canceled yet.

(Oh and Culpa Innata is 9,99€ on Steam for instance, grabbed it last time it was on sale, around 3,5€)
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #7

I bought Culpa Innata from the Steam sale as well, although I haven't gotten round to playing it yet. the lack of subtitles kind of put me off a little, I think it's down to bad memories from the Amiga Valhalla games where figuring out what the character was saying was often more challenging than the puzzles
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Indie Game Developer

Send a message via MSN to Alberto_NHIM

...sorry I must say:

Nando's World but there is still a bit to wait...

Blade Runner game is one of my favourite game too!
Ciao!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Sik

Someone mentioned Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller. A similar game released a few months earlier was BloodNet. It's a hybrid cyberpunk rpg / adventure game, but more puzzle solving than combat if I recall right. Oh, and of course if you haven't played Beneath a Steel Sky, it's free, and you should get it right away at: http://scummvm.org/downloads/#extras
Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
I bought Culpa Innata from the Steam sale as well, although I haven't gotten round to playing it yet. the lack of subtitles kind of put me off a little, I think it's down to bad memories from the Amiga Valhalla games where figuring out what the character was saying was often more challenging than the puzzles
The conversations have subtitles, only the "thoughts" are without. And most of the game is conversation, so I didn't find it too bothering, forgot about it actually. I always use subtitles aswell, nowadays even more since I need to play quietly when my kids sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik View Post
Oh, and of course if you haven't played Beneath a Steel Sky, it's free, and you should get it right away at: http://scummvm.org/downloads/#extras
Aren't they redoing the game? That's why it's free? I remember hearing something like this. Would be nice since it's been ages when I played BaSS and getting to replay it with updated graphics would be much more enjoyable.

edit.
Nice thread btw, cyberpunk is my favourite genre/setting too, I will also try to check out rest of the games mentioned here.

Last edited by millenia; 11-03-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #11

Snatcher (Sega CD version) and Policenauts (PS1), in that order.

Both Hideo Kojima masterpieces.

Snatcher for me is the definitive Cyberpunk adventure. If you liked Blade Runner, you'll absolutely love Snatcher. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Emulation is your best bet for both of these games.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #12

Seems like cyberpunk's not dead, after all. Beside freshly published Alternativa, there is another game on horizon, called Ethan 2068. I think it deals with cyberpunk theme, and comes from Italian developers. It sure does have some interesting art style:

Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
Aren't they redoing the game? That's why it's free? I remember hearing something like this. Would be nice since it's been ages when I played BaSS and getting to replay it with updated graphics would be much more enjoyable.
BaSS was free way before they even thought redoing the game.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #14

There is a classic 1994 game called Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller. I have a video walkthrough of the game on youtube if you want to take a look...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
There is a classic 1994 game called Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller. I have a video walkthrough of the game on youtube if you want to take a look...
Nice list of walkthroughs! I'll be back for more. For now, I watched the ending of Memento Mori, wanted to hear the English voices. What a disappointment. Incredibly bad. Appalling. Some voiceactors even suffer from the Jonathan Boakes syndrome: unnatural pauses between words. The German voiceacting was not top notch, but definitely heaven compared to the English hell.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #16

Rise Of The Dragon was an excellent cyberpunk adventure made by Dynamix, which was part of Sierra. During the golden age of their adventure games.

I really really love that game, I've replayed it hundreds of times. I'm always so bummed that there were never any sequels and dynamix fell apart. I want more games like that.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #17

Gemini Rue looks very promissing.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #18

Fate by Numbers: http://www.fatebynumbers.com/
Old 11-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
Rise Of The Dragon was an excellent cyberpunk adventure made by Dynamix, which was part of Sierra. During the golden age of their adventure games.

I really really love that game, I've replayed it hundreds of times. I'm always so bummed that there were never any sequels and dynamix fell apart. I want more games like that.
Dynamix had some good adventure games. Rise of the dragon & Heart of China were excellent , they got absorbed into Sierra afterwards.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #20
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

If you don't mind going far back, there's a lot of older games with the cyberpunk/dystopian theme.

There's Neuromancer and Circuit's Edge which were based on novels. B.A.T. and its sequel The Koshan Conspiracy come to mind as well. DreamWeb is a personal favorite of mine.

There were also a few Cyberpunk FMV games, like Angel Devoid, Ripper and Johnny Mnemonic. I woudn't recommend making too much of an effort in finding any of them though.

Shadowrun on the SNES is kind of an Action/Adventure/RPG hybrid, worth checking out if you don't mind frequent real time combat.