You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What does the AG forums think of the Journeyman Project games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Default What does the AG forums think of the Journeyman Project games?

Since a couple of days I have become a regulat on the TellTaleGames board in anticipation of the BttF games. I started a topic there about other Time Traveling narratives.

Someone recommended me The Journeyman Project games.
I looked them up and they have good critical responses, yet I have never heard anyone here mention them.

I play games 60% for narration and 40% for gameplay and I don't mind bad graphics. Will these games provide?

Thank you in advance
Old 10-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #2

It has been mentioned over and over. haha, nothing new in this forum.

Anyways, the series is one of my favorites. Great story, great characters, awesome gameplay, and in my opinion nice graphics.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 10-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #3

I only played the 3rd chapter, and it was very good. I've managed to play it at the same time as Zork: Nemesis and Zork: Grand Inquisitor, and it felt like a mix of both. Funny AND historical adventure. If you don't mind bad graphics, I'd suggest TimeQuest - it's in the same vein, only better.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I really recommend the second and the third chapter, particularly the second (it's called Buried in Time). The original game is really old and considerably weaker than its sequels.

Just the selection of time zones/locations in Buried in Time is already excellent:

- ancient Mayan temple
- Britain at the time of Richard the Lionheart
- Leonardo Da Vinci's abandoned study at night
- a space station where a great scientist lived his final days
- a futuristic apartment of the main hero's future self
Old 10-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #5

My avatar tells enough - one of the best Myst clones around, and even more of that.

Now, as said above, you would wanna try second and third game in a series, and those two are the only games i played. The first one got many versions - original is known for some messy experience which was patched and redesigned couple of times, and the Mac only version Pegasus Prime is said to be the best of those, but it's Mac only.

As for 2nd and 3rd, they are both great games with splendid locations and some classic side-kick humor. 2nd is known for the great scene of Da Vinci's study for example, while the third implemented 360 free rotating. The only aspect which is often criticized is rather small "game-world" screen, but you'll get hang of it eventually.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #6

are they playable on modern computer, im sure i heard that they were troublesome.

i know gog.com has one of them, (part 3?) and if so i woudl want to play part 2 first.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #7

Thanks guys. I am going to try them.

But I reall want to start off with the first game. Let the search for that game begin!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
are they playable on modern computer, im sure i heard that they were troublesome.

i know gog.com has one of them, (part 3?) and if so i woudl want to play part 2 first.

If this doesn't help you nothing will
Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #9

Definitely get Journeyman Project Turbo. Saying that the first game isn't that great is an overstatement. It really is a great game that spawned the series. Plus, playing it gives you an overall sense of evolution and story. Something you won't understand if you only played the third game.

If you have an old MAC, then play Pegasus Prime, which is the remake of the first Journeyman Project.

The first game will always be my favorite. It had a great atmosphere, interesting time concepts, cool environments, interesting gameplay, and more.

Just want to say that hearing everyone saying play 2nd and 3rd is quite offensive. Both games draw heavily from the first game's story and characters (chars mainly from Pegasus Prime)

Old 10-29-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Elegantly copy+pasted

Does Pegasus Prime not play on newer Macs (OS X)? I've always wanted to play it, and for the first time I actually have a Mac.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Does Pegasus Prime not play on newer Macs (OS X)? I've always wanted to play it, and for the first time I actually have a Mac.
I'm not entirely sure, but from what I've heard, it needs to run in Classic Mode, which was ditched in more recent versions of the Mac OS.

I just played the first one for a little bit and had problems getting it to run on my PC, so I had to use an old laptop. I was under the impression they were merely Myst clones, but the first game is almost more laid out like a first person dungeon crawler, and there's significantly more text than Myst. Seemed pretty cool.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Grue Master

The Developer has still kept the Journeyman web site up. Check out the requirements for Prime. http://presto.tommyyune.com/presto/journeymanprime/info.html

I bought a little iMac that had exactly the requirements just to play this game as I had heard others had trouble. (Well this game and The Castle). I am a Windows guy.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #13

Pegasus Prime does not indeed run on modern mac's. Classic mode was ditched when they integrated Intel with their systems. I sort of wish the fans found a way to play it on the PC though.

I still have the cd's, so any awesome changes would be welcome.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
It's Hard To Be Humble

Well, the graphics are a bit dated, but I really, really enjoyed Buried In Time. Sadly, I still haven't played the first or third games in their entirety, but I've got them in the pile (I have this embarrassingly large pile of unplayed or uncompleted adventure games that I never seem to make a dent in).

Maybe I should try loading up one of those and see if my system can run them. It's been a long time.

At any rate, I have nothing but praise for Presto Studios, and wish they were still making games.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

You can find Journeyman 2 here, quite cheap ($5,99)
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/journeyman_project_2

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 10-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
My avatar tells enough - one of the best Myst clones around, and even more of that.

Just a small point of contention, Journeyman Project was released a year before Myst.

Anyway, Journeyman Project is possibly my second favorite adventure series, right behind Gabriel Knight. It's just a shame they have yet to make the 4th game.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #17

Yes of course, but i was speaking more of 2nd and 3rd one as i didn't play the first one. Even further, it's generally approved term "Myst-like games" when we speak about this kind of games which in this case seems like a paradox.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
Grue Master

Interesting that you have mentioned Myst like. Presto Studios did create and make Myst III Exile and the remastered Myst Masterpiece for Mac.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #19
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Journeyman Project games are not really very Myst-like - they are also shown from first person perspective, but the gameplay is different, more traditional adventuring (inventory, meeting other characters etc.), but also deaths and time limits.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #20
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I have all 3, but have only played the third. It was quite a few years ago, but the whole family loved it.i actually never finished it because my brother and dad banded together to finish before me. I got the first one for my Dad, but he said he couldn't get into it partly due to the difference to the third, and partly due to difficulty running it. So I never tried it. But this year I have been trying to run Buried in Time, the second game. I followed all the set ups I could find on the net, and scouted around for some advice, but I can't get it installed on our two XP computers. Haven't even attempted the vista or 7 computers. I've been trying to get a hold of windows 98 so I can use virtual pc...