You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure GameTap Support for Adventure Games Decimated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Adventure Game Researcher

Default GameTap Support for Adventure Games Decimated

GameTap service has committed suicide by changing their base support to 64 bit to compete with and set up a new downloadable game service and thereby violating and turning their back on the original purpose of that once valueable service...which was to provide a wide range of both new and older games many of which could not be played easily or at all on modern systems. They have murdered the list of classics and tried as a small token to set up a insulting "Retro" section but i was sadly disappointed in this move.

Ah well, it is too much to expect modern sales oriented executives and marketeers to understand the importance of maintaining the continuing of the games universe....just chasing after the latest and greatest releases shows how shallow things are becoming. I will no longer support GT and no longer endorse them as a viable service for the support of classic games.

among the lost are:

Al Emmo and The Lost Dutchman's Mine

Arx Fatalis

Atlantis Evolution

Aura: Fate of the Ages

Beyond Atlantis

Beyond Atlantis II

Crystal Key 2: The Far Realm

Curse of Atlantis: Thorgal's Quest

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition

Mysterious Journey II

Post Mortem

Prince of Qin

realMyst

Runaway: A Road Adventure

Sentinel: Descendants in Time

Syberia

The Cameron Files: Pharaoh's Curse

The Last Express

Zork: Grand Inquisitor

the amazing thing is that many of the games they axed after promising to update their catalog to 64 bit ...(instead they just cut out all the 32 bit games)....the amazing thing is that many of the major titles like the Tomb Raider classics that they dropped and Freespace 2...already have been adapted and upgraded thru patches approved by the original developers to modern systems. Geeez.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs

Last edited by Christian IV; 10-16-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #2

There is always GOG and DotEmu for older games.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #3

Yes for purchase. Game Tap was in tended to be an online library from which you download the content and play thru their server...so it was literally a library of games ....from all eras...Not much longer i guess. But as you say both those are good sources and thank goodness for them.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 10-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Ah well, it is too much to expect modern sales oriented executives and marketeers to understand the importance of maintaining the continuing of the games universe....just chasing after the latest and greatest releases shows how shallow things are becoming.
GameTap was purchased by Metaboli a couple of years ago and has an entirely different management now. None of the people who originally worked at the company are still there. So it's not really surprising that their purpose has changed entirely, too. Metaboli surely had their own plans for the service when they bought GameTap that were different than what Turner's management set out to do in the first place. (Which apparently wasn't very successful for them, or they wouldn't have been in the position of Turner selling them off in the first place.)
Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #5

Yes fov i knew the previous team and knew about the change and sale. Turner did not have the resources or energy to maintain the support tho the admin of the set up were very good and dedicated to the purpose. Some of the projects like Sam and Max and Myst Online URU Live were great and deserved more support, if they had had it, things would have been different.

I just was shocked at how much Metaboli slashed the list after promising over and over to keep things well represented and to just upgrade the 32 bit games....support is almost completely lacking and there were many problems over the past months in downloads and getting things to work.... it was a great idea that just did not have the support from above to succeed...tho i wish Metaboli well, i just wanted to share my sadness about the current state of affairs. They did respond in part and kept some of the older titles in a "retro" area..... maybe they will reconsider for i was able to send them info on a number of the more important games that would allow them to update them and include them that they may not have known about. One tries

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs