You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Are Casual Games Considered Adventures?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #1

Default Are Casual Games Considered Adventures?

I was wondering around the AG shop looking for a game I haven't got yet and saw CSI:NY in the list. The first thought that came to my mind was "What the heck is that doing here?". I've played it before thinking it would be like the other CSI games and was seriously disappointed to find I had bought a hunt and find casual game.

Do these even classify as adventure games? I really want to know.

"Bring back the Sacred Diamond of the Old Sage of the Mountain and he will give you the magic talisman. Oh man. What am I in a video game?" - Tyler Miles
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #2

It's all down to opinion I suppose.

Personally, if they have the pretence of being a proper adventure game then my viewpoint is that they shoudl be reviewed as such - and therefore receive a very critical review for being a rubbish adventure game.

But it seems that the trend is for them to be indulged and given special pleading in reviews.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

Short answer: Most aren't, some are. Of the latter, most of those (but not all) are hidden object/adventure hybrids.

Some people love arguing that being a hybrid somehow disqualifies them. Probably the same people who'd insist a Peanut Butter Cup is really just peanut butter. Or chocolate. But hey, sometimes things are both.

We reviewed CSI: NY, though (and it didn't rate very highly). If you aren't sure about a game, this should be the first place to check.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #4

I've been playing REAL adventure games since the text adventure Zork came out in the late 70s early 80s (i forget what year). In my opinion adventures should have 3 primary elements in order to be classified as an adventure game.

#1 Storyline - If there is no story there is no adventure.

#2 Play Time - The game has to last and stay interesting enough to want you to come back to it later.

#3 Quests - Questing is the meat and potatoes of nearly all true adventure games.

These are my personal generalizations and nothing more. I feel like the "casual game" genre should be just that, it's own genre. We don't need adventure wannabes mucking up the genre with lame excuses for games like hunt and find that take less than an hour to finish. That sounds more like the back of Highlights magazine I used to read as a kid.

"Bring back the Sacred Diamond of the Old Sage of the Mountain and he will give you the magic talisman. Oh man. What am I in a video game?" - Tyler Miles
Old 09-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
#1 Storyline - If there is no story there is no adventure.

#2 Play Time - The game has to last and stay interesting enough to want you to come back to it later.

#3 Quests - Questing is the meat and potatoes of nearly all true adventure games.
Fair enough. Some casual games actually have all three.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Grue Master

No!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #7

We have debated about it in numerous threads. Is this new thread necessary?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
We have debated about it in numerous threads. Is this new thread necessary?
Yeah I do agree. I'm a little tired of this debate. I understand some people feel strongly against it but at the end of the day Jackal is right - some are worthy of attention, and I for one appreciate at least being told about games and given the opportunity to at least consider them rather then not be shown the games at all.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 AM   #9

Everyone has their own definition and none of them are wrong.

Personally, I see no benefit in attempting to define a strict genre guideline. Games should be judged on an individual basis. Sure, it's convenient to be able to label something a HOG or a FPS, but the truth is, there's so much cross-over nowadays that these old genre definitions just can't keep up. I just wrote an essay on this very subject and now I'm totally sick of it :-P
Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Some casual games actually have all three.
I think there is a fairly substantial list of Casual Games that meet that standard.

Drawn: The Painted Tower
Time Dreamer
Dire Grove
3 Cards to Midnight
The two Ravenhursts

And I could probably tick off at least a dozen more, but the above are probably the best known.

To be fair, there are some really lousy Hidden Object Games that are only that. But some, specifically those created by Spintop Games, are very well put together, highly entertaining, and offer competetive scoring opportunites that make them quite addictive if you are the competetive sort. (Which I am.)
Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #11

Would Drawn be classified as a HOG? It is no different than a general adventure game. Just more casual playable.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Would Drawn be classified as a HOG? It is no different than a general adventure game. Just more casual playable.
That one doesn't have any hidden object scenes, so probably not.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
Bon
The Tentacle

I'm pretty sure it has, on at least two occasions (like when you need to collect broken pieces of glass scattered all around the screen).

As for the topic, "casual" games can definitely be adventures. Hidden object games are not adventures, they're just a sub genre of casual (i.e. short, cheap, easy and really user-friendly) games.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Writer-Designer

Pure hidden object games are falling out of favour and the move towards adventure increases all the time. The HO gameplay tends to be placed into small areas that are expanded to full screen when the player interacts with a cluttered trunk or an untidy patch of garden, say. Collecting and using inventory items is on the increase.

There are no item combination in the inventory or proper dialogue topic choices, but it may be a short while before we start to see the first of these - the casual market evolves very quickly.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #15

I actually quite like Hidden Object games and don't really like these new titles that are moving more towards being rubbish adventure games.

HOGS are fun to play with the family - kids, older relatives. Proper adventures aren't so useful in that regard. But most of the recent HOGS i've palyed have been as Steve Ince described above. But when I want to play an Adventure game i'll play a proper one. I don't want loads of tacked on story to click through when I play a casual game. It's this trying to dress casual games up as proper adventure titles that annoys me. For me, the 'genre' is evolving into an awful hybrid form that fails to be a good casual game and fails to be a good adventure game.

The Mystery Case Files games are a good example of this. The initial Ravenhurst game was a fantastic HOG - atmospheric Hidden Object scenes broken up with fun door lock puzzles in a roughly 4 - 1 ratio. Return to Ravenhurst on the other hand bored me rigid (and the afore-mentioned relatives). The pace of progression was too slow and it took too long - they're supposed to be games that you can play casually, not ones in which you can get through a few puzzles a session and have to keep coming back to. If the story was engaging then it would be okay but it's usually just cliched nonsense tacked on.

It's sad to see a genre I love (adventure) and a genre I enjoy (HOGS) being smelted into this sloppy rubbish we are seeing. I generally only install HOGS that are a few years old now because I know the recent ones will be this 'adventure-lite' rubbish.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #16

I will and always will stand by the fact that Hidden Object games are Adventure games lite.

Example: Someone is 50% mexican, but someone says they aren't mexican because they aren't 100% that way. Does it not make them that race?

The fight is pathetic. Bon pointed out Drawn had some HOG elements in it......guess what? All adventure games have at least some sort of HOG element. Why? Because HOG games are offsprings of Adventure games.

Quote:
It's sad to see a genre I love (adventure) and a genre I enjoy (HOGS) being smelted into this sloppy rubbish we are seeing. I generally only install HOGS that are a few years old now because I know the recent ones will be this 'adventure-lite' rubbish.
How dare they experiment with genre's? Maybe we should restrict certain games into different camps and work them to death? See what I did there?

Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
HOG games are offsprings of Adventure games.
I thought they were derived from those hidden picture puzzles they have in children's magazines. Those have been around for more than 50 years and predate any computer games.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
I thought they were derived from those hidden picture puzzles they have in children's magazines. Those have been around for more than 50 years and predate any computer games.
They are. lol Since when did they have a story, or puzzles?

If you're going to make that argument, then where did Video Games come from? Didn't they start out as board games? Seriously?

Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #19

Quote:
They are. lol Since when did they have a story, or puzzles?
Finding the objects is the puzzle.

And there were books of hidden object puzzles where the different puzzles in the book were linked by a theme, which is as much as the earliest hidden object games had.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Finding the objects is the puzzle.

And there were books of hidden object puzzles where the different puzzles in the book were linked by a theme, which is as much as the earliest hidden object games had.
Yeah, you are missing the point.