Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Games with the atmosphere of Gabriel Knights. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/27788-games-atmosphere-gabriel-knights.html)

thinker 09-11-2010 03:31 PM

Games with the atmosphere of Gabriel Knights.

Do they exist? I don't mean any first person perspective (those are very 'disconnected' IMO), I mean third person with that

MAJESTIC music.

Monolith 09-11-2010 05:58 PM

First person is the opposite of disconnected, but lol thats opinion I guess.

Still Life sort of had a gabriel knight feel, but not exactly.

rottford 09-11-2010 06:12 PM

Broken Sword, perhaps? A historical back story, epic plots, lots of atmosphere (especially in terms of music), male/female team as protagonists -- maybe not as dark, but it has its moments. And the series is just as classic as GK...

crabapple 09-11-2010 06:42 PM

Maybe Gray Matter will, once it's published.
Other than that, no. Not like Gabriel Knight (with the majestic music).

diego 09-11-2010 06:59 PM

I pulled out my Magical Adventure Game Finder - when i entered "third person", "majestic music" and "Gabriel Knight atmosphere" all i got was: Gabriel Knight 1, 2 and 3 :(

So, i'd say - There's no place like home, and no games like GK games. Still, there are some other pretty good games out there. And, if by "majestic music" you're after something which also has opera in it - there are none, especially not The Opera which is solely composed for the game. If you can settle down with classical pieces of music you can try Toonstruck. Outcast is also known for usage of Moscow symphony orchestra.

Origami 09-11-2010 07:55 PM

One that comes close is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Owh and Shadow of Memories.

rottford 09-12-2010 05:54 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, have you checked out Dave Gilbert's "Blackwell" games? "Unbound" is especially atmospheric with its jazz music and brilliant rendering of New York late at night. Full of supernatural elements. And not very expensive.

Ascovel 09-12-2010 06:16 AM

Definitely Blackwell games are very close to and inspired by Gabriel Knight.

But I'd say all of them, not Unbound in particular.

marshal99 09-12-2010 09:36 PM

Phantasmagoria ? I always liked the main phantasmagoria theme "Consumite Furore" , it sets the mood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_d04W8QWY

HitBattousai 09-13-2010 05:56 PM

Besides the games mentioned here, the Black Mirror series, The Moment of Silence, and Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit might fit your criteria for 3rd person games. Even though you don't seem to want first person games, The Last Express is a great game in terms of avoiding the disconnect feeling you refer and is a great all-around game, though not a creepy game it does have a stellar mystery atmosphere and great characters.

There aren't really any games that exactly pull out the atmosphere like the GK series though.

theduramater 09-15-2010 06:16 PM

Syberia 1 and 2 are 3rd person with majestic music! I also agree that Broken Sword is similar; especially 1 and 3. 2 wasn't *as* good and I haven't played 4 (my video card SUCKS).

A Vampyre Story had Great music and was 3rd person, but wasn't really like GK. It was cartoony (which I like), but her terrible french accent got annoying.

Jcar 09-18-2010 06:28 PM

Gabriel Knight is unfortunately in a category all its own.

The Broken Sword series are good, solid, adventure games and they should definitely be played if you haven't, but they are a bit more cartoony than the Gabriel Knight universe.

Syberia 1 and 2 are OK as well, but again, I wouldn't equate them with the Gabriel Knight series in terms of quality of plot and character development.

The only series which I think matches it in terms of sheer quality is the Longest Journey (altough it's obviously more of a straight fantasy than the GK series, but LJ at least matches GK in terms of story telling quality and character development--I think).

AndreaDraco83 09-19-2010 03:05 AM

I agree about the Blackwell series. It's the only adventure series that, in recent years, managed to really capture me.

SamandMax 09-19-2010 08:22 AM

The Lost Crown manages to capture the same epic, supernatural-tinged mystery feel of the Gabriel Knight games, I think that one's definitely worth a look.

GarageGothic 09-19-2010 08:47 AM

What, no mention of the Ben Jordan games? The first couple of episodes may be a bit more Scooby Doo than Gabriel Knight, but the later chapters are pretty damn epic. Good music too, as I remember, but perhaps not quite as grand as Robert Holmes' scores.

thinker 09-26-2010 04:17 AM

Thanks all, nice insight.

And to not make this reply too pointless, I should stress out that Jane Jensen, the creator of Gabriel Knights is releasing this year a majestic adventure game with piano music!111 http://www.graymatter-game.com/