You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure DARKSTAR - FMV Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #61
Schattenjäger

ok thanks, that seems to have fixed that issue. Would be interesting to hear from someone with the physical game if the windows are that small. Im looking at this trailer, and it could be my imagination but the window seems much larger there: http://darkstar.gs/imports_news/news_20091230/index.htm
edit: oh also, any idea if theres a manual somewhere? all i can find is a photo book. The atmosphere is nice.... but moving around like this is really going to take some getting used to.

Last edited by zane; 11-24-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #62
Strategy Guide Author

Hmm, my physical copy version plays the intro full screen (though stretched it appears). Definitely not a small window.

I haven't played more than just the intro, just busy. Will fire it up later today and try it out.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #63
Schattenjäger

the intro after you click "new game"??? thats in fullscreen??? or you mean the title screen and logos?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #64
Strategy Guide Author

The video stuff is not full screen, but it's not what I would call small. When you get to the game screen, the outer interface fills up the screen with the video/navigation window inside, and again I wouldn't call it small. I'm using a widescreen monitor so it's stretched. I've read you can hold shift when starting the game and kept it held to the video starts playing and it will not be stretched but when I did that, it was definitely small. Maybe somehow that is happening to you.

I played through the first room you start in. Definitely feels real old school FMV. The story is interesting so far and I commend the little touches so far. Good direction, music, and atmosphere. Navigation is a little slow imo.

I encountered a couple bugs.

One, after the intro, it kept crashing with a "not enough storage" error. Apparently downloading the newest QT fixes it. It may not happen for all but I just downloaded from www.apple.com/quicktime and it fixed.

Second, sometimes when navigating the arrow turns fixed and I can't move any more and I have to reload. Not sure what's going on there. Will email and ask.

Also when I save, it has an option for "save as" but it doesn't work so I can only save one slot so far. Not sure what's going on there.

So far I like it, a little rough around the edges but happy so far. Will keep updating.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #65
Schattenjäger

yeah, the "not enough storage" error was exactly what was happening to me. Apparently the quicktime update included with the game isnt enough. I guess i just have to get used to the screens, holding shift changes nothing for me so i suspect its related. And its like 30ish+% of the screen covered with that black border, it just feels weird. But yeah, very oldschool feel i definitely am digging it. Found a way to die within 5 minutes of playing
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #66
Strategy Guide Author

Haha me too.

Keep commenting in this thread will impressions. I guess for some reason the downloaded one is fixed with the shift-key deal. You can probably email them and ask about it. Their support seems pretty prompt.

Did you get the problem where you can't move anymore and have to reload?

Also, are you able to "Save As" and name your saves?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #67

Thanks for writing about Darkstar. Would have missed it for sure otherwise and that would be sad as FMV-adventures used to be my favourites.

Coupon code came the same day (even with a personal wish hoping I would love the game) and I'm downloading as I write this. Will return with my impressions when I've had time to try it out.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #68
delusions of adequacy

Is the digital version from Strategy First, windows only?

Its a little confusing. The promo graphic for the 20% off code uses the box art which has the pc & mac stickers on it. The Strategy First website only lists the PC requirements though. I don't know if they just decided not to include mac details or if the digital copy from them has the mac data stripped out...

I'd like to play this on the mac side of my two faced machine, preferably. I want to buy now, but will wait till the steam version if its the only way to get a mac copy via digital download.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #69
Schattenjäger

according to the creator on facebook: there will be a mac download version, but it is currently not up on the site.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #70
She Wants Revenge

Started testing now. I really have no experience in FMVs so feels really strange. I've played GK2 twice years ago and fiddled with Phantasmagoria demo and that's my knowlodge. And it shows, I seem to be stuck already . Well, getting some sleep and getting back to it.

Would have enjoyed subtitles since I can't keep volume up very high and I'm not very good at listening overall. But I guess I'll manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
I managed to get this once now. Haven't played very long yet.

Quote:
Seems to be working fine here.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #71
Schattenjäger

Quote:

Oh yeah, i havnt run into any freezes yet, and havnt tried naming saves... they seem to just save as the profile name from the beginning.
But yeah their customer service is really awesome. I tried using the support page and just got errors though, anyone else been able to use it since they redid it?
Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #72
Strategy Guide Author

Dunno why I can't save as... you're just clicking the save as button immediately after attempting to save?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #73
She Wants Revenge

I get the saving screen "Yes" "No" "Save as". I click the Save as, type and click ok. After that it asks if I'm sure if I want to retitle my mission, "Yes" "No". Done. I've saved a few different games now and don't even know how it could malfunction. Works perfectly fine.

First I thought retitling my mission just meant that it would rename my savefile and still keep just saving on the one, but there are several saves to load so works like normal (I am assuming endless) save slots.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #74
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Dunno why I can't save as... you're just clicking the save as button immediately after attempting to save?
Where does the game store save games? If you're on windows 7/Vista and the game is trying to save in the install directory which is system owned, it could be a problem. Which may be solved by installing to another directory you have proper ownership of (somewhere in your home folder), or elevating the exe to run as administrator.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #75
Schattenjäger

i got a response on the screen size issue. It would appear the problem is im using a widescreen monitor and darkstar doesnt adjust for 16 : 9 ratio. Oh well guess il just get used to it
Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #76
Strategy Guide Author

Well, I am too zane and as I said, when I run it, it stretches and fills the screen (the interface at least). the movie size/center is still pretty big

Now if I hot shift while running the game, I got the smaller, non-stretched version. Check the www.darkstar.gs page and click on Support/Faq and there's a question about the widescreen/shift key thing.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #77
Strategy Guide Author

Played any more of this zane?

My save as problem finally went away and I played for a long stretch without annoying crash problems.

Love the atmosphere and the story seems pretty interesting. Like the slowly revealed backstory.

I will admit that I'm a little puzzled how to proceed a bit. How have you fared so far?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #78
Schattenjäger

iv played for maybe an hour just exploring the ship, havnt had much time lately. But the atmosphere is greaat, the music is awesome, and iv found multiple ways to die already
im definitely looking forward to playing this alot in the next week or so. My major complaint is the interface...would be nice if the cursor changed to show hotspots for moving or interacting with items, but i think im getting used to it. That, and im still having some screen issues... but im getting used to that too

edit: oh thats the other thing, iv decided headphones are a must for the game, the sound is just too good not to, and im also wishing there were subtitles (if theres a way to turn them on i havnt seen it)

Last edited by zane; 11-30-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #79
Grue Master

Default DarkStar is Awesome Thread - Any Questions?

I just finished DarkStar, well at least the good ending, I will go back at go through the others. The game is Awesome in my prejudiced opinion. Prejudice because this is one of my favorite types of adventure games. First Person, Solo Exploration, Sci Fi. & Full Motion Video.

Shuffle together the likes of...

Dark Side of the Moon
Rama
Mission Critical

And sprinkle it with the likes of...

Symbiocom
The Dig
The Arrival
Cracking the Conspiracy
Majestic: Alien Encounter

Then throw in some great FMV cut scenes and some cheese that only the Mystery Science Theater team can pull off and you have DarkStar This is not an interactive movie like some that have been made in the past where the player pretty much sits back and has little to do. This is a full fledged Adventure Game with exploration, discovery, problem solving and inventory. I had a great time saving humanity. Jeff I hope you are working on the sequel right now :-)

This is not a review but if you have any questions about the game or its experience I will be glad to to answer them with out spoiling anything.

Interview with DarkStar Developer Jeff Allen Williams
Review of DarkStar
Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #80
Schattenjäger

im not yet finished (but i think im getting there). And im also coming to the conclusion that its quite awesome. I just love the exploration and the music and the pacing of the game. Its been such a long time since iv played a new adventure that had this kindv sense of danger all the time. Now that iv gotten used to the interface, im totally having a blast.