You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Good courtroom / police games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Default Good courtroom / police games?

What good courtroom games are there out there?

I've played: All the Ace Attorney games and spinoffs, most of the Law & Order games, In the 1st Degree, an old Perry Mason game, and I'm in the process of checking out Pursuit of Justice

Any good ones I'm missing? I'm also interested in similar style of investing / interrogation type games. I haven't played many good police games outside of the Police Quest series.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

If you liked the PQ games, there is the 1993 game Blue Force by PQ's Jim Walls.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Cool, never heard of that one. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Yeah, I've played the Tex Murphy games and most of the other very well known games. I've played Spycraft too.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Schattenjaeger wannabe

No. But are they good? I don't just want any old game. :-)

I've played a lot of detective games, but not that many courtroom / police games so I'm more looking for more of them.

I hated that recent Art of Murder FBI game btw.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #6

Objection! Haha, ahhh I love Phoenix. Yeah I have nothing new to suggest, merely imparting my love of courtroom games. I'll be interested to see if something I haven't played gets mentioned though

EDIT: I actually made an FMV court room game that ripped off Phoenix in film school. I forgot about that. But it will never see the light of day again! (It was bad. Oh so bad...).

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Senior Passer-by

You may try L.A. Law when there's nothing else to play.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law might scratch your itch. It's even made by Capcom. I don't know if it's any good though and the AG review is not enthusiastic.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Hmm ... now I look like a crazy person because someone's posts have been deleted in this thread. I wasn't talking to myself, I swear!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
Hmm ... now I look like a crazy person because someone's posts have been deleted in this thread. I wasn't talking to myself, I swear!
You were talking to me and I deleted my posts because after all these years I'm finally, finally sick and tired of trying to help people who are too lazy to do their own searching and reading, who don't even bother to give more specific information about their likes/dislikes, who expect you to read their mind and know which games they have already played, and then get a reply like "I don't just want any old game".
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #11

Thanks, michael1123, for clearing up what was going on. I kept scrolling back and forth trying to figure it out and was totally confused. I'm a Phoenix Wright fan and was interested in learning about more games like this, too.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
You were talking to me and I deleted my posts because after all these years I'm finally, finally sick and tired of trying to help people who are too lazy to do their own searching and reading, who don't even bother to give more specific information about their likes/dislikes, who expect you to read their mind and know which games they have already played, and then get a reply like "I don't just want any old game".
... Huh? You must've completely misread my tone. I was just asking if you liked those other police games you mentioned. (All you said was that they were much worse than the PQ games)

I did do my own searching, for hours before making this thread. The only significant thread I found on courtroom games on this site was from 5+ years ago, before the Phoenix Wright games were translated.

I was asking for recommendations for good games, so I wanted to make sure you liked them. If I just wanted random games in the genre I was looking for I could easily find that myself.

So, sorry if you got the impression I wasn't grateful. I was, I was just asking if you thought they were worth playing.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #13

I recommend reading The Judas Window. Best courtroom whodunnit/locked murder mystery there is.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
I recommend reading The Judas Window. Best courtroom whodunnit/locked murder mystery there is.
Thanks for the recommendation, but I can't find anything on it. One of the top search results on google is this thread actually.

Is that the full name of the game? Around when did it come out?

One problem I'm finding with a lot of these games is that they won't run on my 64 bit system. That's the case with both In the 1st Degree and Pursuit of Justice, and I can't get them to work in dosbox either, because they require windows. I've even installed Windows 3.2 inside of dosbox, which allowed me to start In the 1st Degree, but the videos wouldn't play.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #15

It's a book. But please don't shun it particularly because of that.

Locked Room Murder Mysteries from the golden ages are like games and back in the day it was considered a sport. The author provides you with the exact same clues as the detective(in Sherlock Holmes this was never the case) and thus you can solve the mystery before it's revealed.

But this particular murder mystery takes place in courtroom for 95%. And though in the beginning it seems an open-and-shut case, the defense attorney slowly guides us to the baffling truth.

These are also not the longest kind of books. Always roughly around 200 pages, they're quite a quick-read and hard to lay down.

For fans of adventure games I can't recommend this genre enough times.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
Thats the ticket

Would the Gabriel Knight games be considered pseudo police? The best investigator type game and great supernatural storylines.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #17

^
I presume he has already played it, since he has an avatar of it in his display.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Yeah, the Gabriel Knight games are my favorite series by far.

I guess there just aren't that many lawyer games out there, eh?

By the way, for the police games, I'm thinking as realistic as possible. I kind of enjoyed all the silly procedural stuff the Police Quest games made you do.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #19

I'm actually surprised by how few lawyer games there are, considering how popular the Law & Order TV shows and the Ace Attorney games are
sure, in real life most of their cases aren't nearly as interesting or deep as in the tv shows but the same is also true for CSI yet almost every detective game since the shows popularity has featured an emphasis on forensics
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
Yeah, the Gabriel Knight games are my favorite series by far.

I guess there just aren't that many lawyer games out there, eh?

By the way, for the police games, I'm thinking as realistic as possible. I kind of enjoyed all the silly procedural stuff the Police Quest games made you do.
I think it's time for a fan spinoff. For all lawyer-themed-adventure fans who also liked "The Beast Within":

"The Ubergrau Mysteries"!

Hey, one can dream