You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A new casual game worth playing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Codger

Default A new casual game worth playing

I recently played a new casual game that's available from BigFish games. It's titled Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven. It's designed by the same group that put out the well-reviewed, (at least here,) Edgar Allen Poe: Murders in the Rue Morgue.

After a car crash, you find yoursef locked in a cemetery, and must save the lives and/or souls of three cemetery inhabitants. Each of the three episodes is self-contained, but you must play them in sequence. There is a fourth episode if you purchase the Collector's Edition of the game...which I didn't.

More than a few of the puzzles are quite difficult. There is a Skip mode that activates about two minutes after you start a puzzle, so if you are stumped, there is an easy out. There is one puzzle though, a safe combination puzzle, for which there is not only no Skip option, but it cannot be solved using normal "safe technique". Not only that, but any walkthrough you find will give you the wrong directions for solving it.

I even found some of the hidden object puzzles challenging. Not only are some of the objects well-disguised, but the definitions are a little quirky as well. However, you have unlimited Hints...as long as you are willing to wait the three minutes or so that it takes for the Hint screen to refresh.

I've stated that I've become a fan of the casual-gaming genre. I probably play them at a 6-to-1 ratio of casual vs real adventure games.

If I played casuals in anticipation of playing a real adventure titled Gray Matter, the ratio would probably be 200-to-1. But that's another story.

Anyway, I recommend this game. A first play, without the benefit of a WT is going to give you a good six-to-eight hours of gameplay. Not bad for $6.99.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #2

Bruchilda, the clockwork man, Elixir of Immortality, Nightfall Mysteries - The Asylum Conspiracy, Echoes of the Past - The Castle of Shadows

All of the above i recommend.

A new game called Haunted Hotel: Lonely Dream looks interesting.

In my opinion, I hate HO games that have horribly placed objects, horrible visuals, excessive HO gameplay elements, lack of story, lack of voice acting, and lack of polish. So, my recommendations are either great games or games that offer something different than the mess like most of the HO games.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 08-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Codger

And that means what, exactly?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
And that means what, exactly?

Recommendations after playing the one you suggested.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 08-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Codger

I look forward to hearing what you think.