You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword - Director's Cut for PC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #61

I didn't liked the new ending eighter.
But it was nice to play it again, and I enjoyed the new few scenes, apart from
the fact that those character animations in the top corners where annoying me!
Annyway, I think annyone who loves the Broken Sword series should play it!

I'm still waiting for a proper BS 5 in 2d!
And waiting... and waiting...
Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #62
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
The new playable sequences break the flow and don't blend well into the narrative and the new dialogue (the quality of the voice recording is all over the place) and cutscenes are rushed.
It's not just me, then.

Started off fine, Nico sounded good. I got to playing George and suddenly the sound quality dived, and since then it's been up and down, up and down. I'm not sure about the new sequences as I'm not sure which they are, though.

24% now, apparently, and I'm doing alright. I'm certainly going to play the original version at some point, but I think that if I'd paid £10 (As was the original price, it dropped to £5) I'd be pretty annoyed.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
They added a poorly animated, and badly writen cutscene.
I sometimes forget to check Youtube.

I checked the playthrough, dividided into three 3 hour long parts and must say
that the added sequence in the end could not be any more cliché and is indeed badly written.
Especially the lack of music and the constant wind howling is a srange decision.

Completely unnecessary

PS
Broken Sword related:

A local newspaper featured an article about historical underground "cities".

http://www.carrieres.explographies.com/indexus.htm

Here´s the map
http://www.carrieres.explographies.com/indexus.htm

pretty huge !

the tour only costs € 8,-

I hope I´ll get to Paris someday soon ...
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 11-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #64
The 'Mighty Dragon'

I realised something - The "continue" button is broken. I have to use "Restore Game" to continue from my previous save.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #65
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Finished!

Wow, that was a very varied game. Some minutes it was brilliant, the next it was (relatively) terrible. It's like you go from two different games. One is this not-too-bad-looking more modern version, and then you end up in another section and it's just so poor.

Spoiler:
The train scene is a great example of what I mean. Nico's model is completely different there to what it is for other parts of the game

Wasn't the best game I've ever played, nor the worst, but I'm so glad I didn't pay £10 for it.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #66

this is definitely not a remake.i've played the wii version and a little of the pc and i can see it's a port.also the game is like taking the old game and adding new content that differs in all aspects graphic and sound wise and sewing them together.
if anyone told me they wanted to play it i would say play the original and afterwards play the directors cut to see the additional content.

while disappointed on the "remake" i really enjoyed the new content.i've played it 8 times at least and researched every nook of info it gives historically.finally after the additional content the rest of the story has been more clear.it always bugged me that the part about those businessmen and how nico was involved was too compressed.like a need to know basis thing(as they say in military games).now i think the story is full.

and an offtopic kinda....i recently saw an article dated a couple years back that there were plans to make it a movie.i dont know if there's still the posibility but since it's a couple years old i'd say it's on the backburner.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #67
The Quiet One

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut now available from GOG.com for $4.19! Also, a promo of 60% off by buying the entire series. $7.17 for the lot or $2.39 each.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #68
The 'Mighty Dragon'

And it comes with the soundtrack.

Excuse me whilst I go outside and swear loudly.

Edit: OK, I gave in and bought BS1: DC again. Rather have it from GOG anyways.

Last edited by Dwagginz; 12-10-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #69

as much as i'd like to get a proper 2d BS 5 like kate said i really don't think they 'll do sth like that.BS3 and BS4 were totally different and more action like despite the fact that BS4 had a point and click option.and they were 3d.there's no way they are reversing it back to 2d graphics even though most fans would want that.the only BS in 2d after the smoking mirror was the fan made 2.5.

but in the end i do hope for a miracle.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #70

Does anyone know what's with that added location in the catacombes beneath montfaucon?

There's a door with a skull and the interact icon but i have no idea what to do with it. I went on and got to Spain, and after the cutscene with the neotemplars ends - you go straight to Nico's apartment...

Anyone?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #71
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysryn View Post
Does anyone know what's with that added location in the catacombes beneath montfaucon?

There's a door with a skull and the interact icon but i have no idea what to do with it. I went on and got to Spain, and after the cutscene with the neotemplars ends - you go straight to Nico's apartment...

Anyone?
Is it the one you have to break through the gate to get to?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #72

nah probably the middle or the left i also wondered about it all the times that i've played it but never found anything about it....i think it's nothing although if it was something that would be interesting.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #73

I agree with many of you that although the Director's Cut is worth playing, it still ends up feeling inferior to the original game.

The new opening pales in comparison and the new material, although interesting, doesn't gel quite as well as it should.

I have reviewed the game on both Wii and PC here:

Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templars – The Director’s Cut (Nintendo Wii, PC Digital Download) Review - Alternative Magazine Online

I feel that Broken Sword 2: Remastered will be far more pleasing though as it simply brushes up on what was already there, rather than shoehorning in extra gameplay etc.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #74

Does anybody know if there's any where that outlines exactly what has been added/changed in the Directors Cut version? I'll probably end up buying it either way (I mean, it's worth more than the meagre amount Steam is charging for it).

While I love that they're making this game available to gamers now, I wish that they'd bring out a new game in the series... It's still one of my favourites.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #75
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astharis View Post
(I mean, it's worth more than the meagre amount Steam is charging for it).
Get it on Gog
Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #76

it depends on how you look at it marty.to be honest apart from the extra content i wasn't really happy with it as a remastered version or remake whatever you wanna call it so yes it is inferior.
the sprites seem to have undergone a slight improvement but nothing really noticeable.

however if you play the original and then go to dc for the extra scenes to clear some unresolved questions from the original's story it's definitely worth it.i know i was always pestered by those little questions.

more or less what i'm saying is that it's more of a dlc than a new game to me.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #77
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astharis View Post
Does anybody know if there's any where that outlines exactly what has been added/changed in the Directors Cut version? I'll probably end up buying it either way (I mean, it's worth more than the meagre amount Steam is charging for it).

While I love that they're making this game available to gamers now, I wish that they'd bring out a new game in the series... It's still one of my favourites.
The difference between the original version and the directors cut version is that for the DC, a new chapter has been added (that takes place before the start of the original game) which is played before the start and also played paralleled with the original story during the first third of the game.
So for example, in the original, you went straight from Nicos apartment to Hotel Ubu. In the DC you get to play Nicos parallel story between the Nicos apartment part and the Hotel Ubu part.
I hope you get what I mean, I'm having a bad english day today sorry!

A new Broken Sword game is coming, maybe even this year.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #78

Ooooh! Thanks lsak, that was really helpful.

And yay for more Broken Sword!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysryn View Post

Anyone?
If I remember correctly, it's a reference to BS4, where you get to go beyond that door.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #80

probably the other way round....i don't think they planned it that much....especially when every story is so different from the others.