You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword - Director's Cut for PC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 04:11 AM   #21

Gibbons's style is terrible.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #22
lost in rubacava

Well, I'm having a blast, thoroughly enjoying the game. It's well worth the ten bucks, IMO.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #23
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Does anyone know if they'll release a demo? It's £10 here (they didn't convert the price by the looks of it) and I'd rather try it before spending.

Looks good though, although some comments have put me off a little.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #24
HA! HA! HA!

I haven't heard of a demo, I'd guess that there won't be one.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #25
The Quiet One

No, there won't be a demo. You could always check out some YouTube videos...

For anyone who cares, I've put up my mini review in the 'Last Finished Game' thread.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #26

I'm happy with the original version, to be honest. Considering replaying it anyway, coincidentally. And then the second.

After that the series becomes a bit less interesting. I managed to get through the third, but I became bored of the fourth and never finished it.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #27
Customise Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulan View Post
Gibbons's style is terrible.
Yep, I’m glad someone else has the same opinion.

Also, did anyone notice that the DC version on Wii didn’t have the moment where you can diagnose the first two patients in the hospital beds. Instead you can only diagnose the last guy, who isn’t as funny.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmertwin87 View Post
Also, did anyone notice that the DC version on Wii didn’t have the moment where you can diagnose the first two patients in the hospital beds. Instead you can only diagnose the last guy, who isn’t as funny.
That was probably to make the scene more readable and less frustrating. The first time I played the original I was stuck in that room for about twenty minutes.

It is a shame that some hot-spots are missing from the Director's Cut, but their removal certainly makes the game more directed and playable. All of the puzzle tweaks were for the better. Death scenes I'm impartial to. Dying is of no consequence -- you just load up your last save and do it differently -- so it fails to heighten the tension. The only cool thing about dying is watching yourself die in an animated cut-scene.

I guess it's more the principal of the matter. This is supposed to be the definitive version of Broken Sword, right? So everything that was in the original should at least be optional in the Director's Cut, for the people that want it. Oh well. I can't say I'm one of those people.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #29
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I guess it's more the principal of the matter. This is supposed to be the definitive version of Broken Sword, right? So everything that was in the original should at least be optional in the Director's Cut, for the people that want it. Oh well. I can't say I'm one of those people.
Now I have to admit i've only really played through the new bit at the beginning so far, but that is a very good point. So far, and despite the extra content, this feels like an inferior version of the game. I would be incredibly suprised if this was what the director was looking for originally!

I still think that this version is worth getting for a fan of the series, but if you have never played the game before I would definitely get the original version. Even though the dc has extra content I think you will actually miss out on more than you would getting the original.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #30

I think the problem is that they never planned to put the DC on the PC. they simplified and/or cut a few bits either because they expected the console audience to have problems with them or they just wouldn't work on the console interface
with high demand for a PC version they obviously caved and gave it to us, but instead of a polished Directors Cut it looks more like a cheap console-to-PC port
hopefully if they do BS2 they'll keep a PC version in mind from the start and design it accordingly
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Customise Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
That was probably to make the scene more readable and less frustrating. The first time I played the original I was stuck in that room for about twenty minutes.
Yeah, I think I was stuck there for a while too, but I guess that’s all part of the adventure game experience.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #32
Customise Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
I think the problem is that they never planned to put the DC on the PC. they simplified and/or cut a few bits either because they expected the console audience to have problems with them or they just wouldn't work on the console interface
Yeah, I guess that’s probably why they cut it out. Although, I remember first playing Broken Sword on a console (PSone) in its complete form. It does seem to be normal now for games to be easier, and I don’t know why because it seems like they underestimate people too much.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
Sik

I'm a bit disappointed with this version. I expected it to just be the original with some additional content. The new content (Nico's story, portraits, new interface) isn't on par with the original in my opinion, but that wouldn't have bothered me if they left the rest alone. Taking out all "red herring" hotspots and making the puzzles easier is just an insult to a classic, though, and makes the "Director's Cut" title kind of misleading (At least I hope this isn't what they wanted the game to be like).

Heck, I even missed....
Spoiler:
...the goat puzzle! I actually got sad when I solved this with just one click without even thinking. I'm one of the (apparently) few people who loved this puzzle because it had such a limited amount of options available and still managed to be tricky.

Anyway, I'm sure this version worked great on the DS and WII, but PC owners are better off just playing the original. Especially those that never played it before since the Director's Cut in no way replaces the original.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

It's interesting that when the original came out it was considered to be on the easy side and lacking in hotspots.

Cut 15 years later and the puzzles and hotspots are evaluated by the designers to be too much for the modern audience and are limited even more.

But the goat puzzle deserved fixing.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmertwin87 View Post
Yeah, I think I was stuck there for a while too, but I guess that’s all part of the adventure game experience.
Yeah...for better or worse

I'm sure this version is only disappointing to those who love the original, though. Newcomers are going to love it.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Bob View Post
I kind of wish they'd make remake of the second one as well, but not like this. It's fine for $10 I guess, but I'd be willing to pay more if I'd get a proper HD remake of it.
I played the same thing on wii and it was quite good.......especially since it had
the new material (or at least the material they cut from the original).Its my favourite game ever so it was an overall great experience finally having some clearance in the story for some aspects.

I'd prefer a solid job by the old crew of revolution where the whole thing along with the new material would be made coherent.Not like this where the new material sticks out like a fly in milk even to someone that hasn't played the original.And if they could spill a little more detail into it without ruining the whole filling of the original that would be a plus.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #37
Schättenjager

How many new segments available,i've finished the original on 3 platforms and dont much feel like going through again unless dc effects the ending as well as the beginning of the story?
Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #38
lost in rubacava

I thoroughly enjoyed the Directors Cut, new graphics and all. The only thing I found jarring was a third graphic style interjected toward the very end.

Who needs Mr. Goat, anyway?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
How many new segments available,i've finished the original on 3 platforms and dont much feel like going through again unless dc effects the ending as well as the beginning of the story?
There's a new chapter at the beginning of the game and an extended ending. Neither really affect the original storyline but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #40

I have BS1 and 2 double pack on an old "sold out software disc" but I couldn't get it to run on my computer because of compatibility issues. So I never played BS. But on Friday I bought the Director's Cut off Steam and have just completed it tonight thought it was really good, but Nico's story seemed very out of placed and ham-fistedly implemented as filler content. I didn't even play the original and I could tell that. It ended like a third way through into the game and I was thinking "is that it? are we not revisiting that then?"

But whatever, I really enjoyed the game. I'm not really one for all this ancient mythological back drop, I prefer a more modern, sci-fi, noir feel to these sort of games, although I've only played a few adventures games.

Are Broken Sword 2 and 3 worth playing? I noticed they're bundled together on Steam? Are they was good or anywhere near as good as the first?

Are they making Director's Cuts of those games too?

Any help appreciated, cheers.