Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Les Miserables (now freeware) and A Tale of Two Cities (new) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/27579-les-miserables-now-freeware-tale-two-cities-new.html)

Enter the Story 08-22-2010 11:09 AM

Les Miserables (now freeware) and A Tale of Two Cities (new)

I was going to post this in "underground" as it's about a game that is now free, but it's not an underground title - it's a commercial title that I'm only now giving away. And it links to a new release. So I thought you might be interested.

Les Miserables: the game of the book previously sold for 14.99. It's the first and the most popular of the Enter The Story games so far. It sticks fairly close to Victor Hugo's novel: if you don't know the story it's set in France from 1795-1832, and covers Jean Valjean's fall and redemption, with a cast of hundreds and all the usual love and death, tragedy and conflict, pursuit, rescues, escapes and all that good stuff.

See what you think: visit http://enterthestory.com and follow the word "free"

The reason I'm giving it away now is partly because I promised one of the composers that I would (it was a condition of using his excellent music), and also because it helps promote my new game, A Tale of Two Cities, which takes place in the same kind of place and the same kind of time (revolutionary Paris). If you like Les Miserables, hopefully you'll like A Tale of Two Cities.

Anyway, that's enough promotion from me. In the immortal words of the Caponians, "see ya!"

JenniBee 08-25-2010 07:04 PM

I haven't heard of this series before. The premise sounded fun, so I thought I'd try it out.

I like it a lot so far. :) I haven't read Les Miserables before (or watched any adaptations), so this is a completely new experience for me.

The control scheme is very different from anything I've played before, but I really like that the game is controlled by connecting thoughts. It really helps in feeling that you are part of the book, almost like a narrator, since you can control everyone indirectly rather than getting second hand information by directly controlling just one character.

The music fits the game really well too. And the help is useful, and fits into the game world well. I also like the jokes that you placed in there. The Jon Bon Jovi one had me laugh out loud. :D

Enter the Story 09-01-2010 03:29 PM

Thanks! Sounds like I'll have to make a comedy next :)

aimless 09-01-2010 04:51 PM

Oh, no. First, you have to finish The Count of Monte Cristo!

Bruno_Malta 09-02-2010 06:26 AM

Nice to hear from the creator himself and sad to say that i just saw A Tale for Download on a torrent site!

Enter the Story 09-03-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta (Post 558650)
Nice to hear from the creator himself and sad to say that i just saw A Tale for Download on a torrent site!

Are you sure it isn't the matching game with the same name? It seems like there's a hidden object or matching game for every famous story ever written.* But if it is my game you saw, that's great news! I agree with Cory Doctorow on this: my biggest problem is not piracy, it's obscurity. If people care enough to pirate my games then that's a very good sign.

As for lost sales, my games are aimed at thoughtful people, the kind who like classic novels. Thoughtful people tend to be honest. That's a better guarantee than all the DRM and take-down notices in the world.

Plus I've priced the games low - four full length games for $14.99 total - so if anyone genuinely cannot afford it then that is pretty sad. If someone is genuinely that poor then they have my blessing to find a pirate copy and I hope their finances improve. Being poor sucks.

*EDIT: Most games that claim to be based on novels are just old games with different graphics. It's the same with games based on movies - they're usually just platform or shooting games with different sprites. Which is a bit disappointing! When I buy a story based game then I want that unique story, and everything should flow from the book. I don't want just an old game with superficial rebranding. That's why I started making these games. I hope I'm not unusual!

skurken 09-03-2010 02:36 PM

Thanks!

Playing Les Miserables right now. Enjoying it very much so far. Unique, beautiful, and surprisingly consistent art style you've managed to pull off there :)

nomarch 09-09-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tolworthy (Post 558746)
Are you sure it isn't the matching game with the same name? It seems like there's a hidden object or matching game for every famous story ever written.* But if it is my game you saw, that's great news! I agree with Cory Doctorow on this: my biggest problem is not piracy, it's obscurity. If people care enough to pirate my games then that's a very good sign.

As for lost sales, my games are aimed at thoughtful people, the kind who like classic novels. Thoughtful people tend to be honest. That's a better guarantee than all the DRM and take-down notices in the world.

Plus I've priced the games low - four full length games for $14.99 total - so if anyone genuinely cannot afford it then that is pretty sad. If someone is genuinely that poor then they have my blessing to find a pirate copy and I hope their finances improve. Being poor sucks.

That sir is possibly the best attitude towards piracy from a developer I have so far read! Just for that I'm buying a copy, I have no idea if I'll like the game but I'll give it a try. Bravo to you.

Sughly 09-09-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarch (Post 559164)
That sir is possibly the best attitude towards piracy from a developer I have so far read! Just for that I'm buying a copy, I have no idea if I'll like the game but I'll give it a try. Bravo to you.

I agree, it is a very good attitude. I particularly like your ideas of getting your name out there and I think you're right on all accounts. I'm downloading the free game to see how it goes, but judging by the trailer you've got a very unique style which should make for an equally unique and interesting game :)

dog of war 09-09-2010 08:39 PM

Well I love both the novel and the musical, so I had to check out the game when I came upon this thread. Downloaded it earlier and have been playing it this evening; I'm defintely enjoying it so far. The idea of the girl's spirit being the conduit for the gameplay is interesting, and the amount of flavour from the story and Paris and the other places is appealing. Will probably post some more thoughts when I've got a bit further.

UPtimist 09-09-2010 11:41 PM

Great! I followed the production of Les Miserables for quite a while, but never got the chance to play it :) Now's my chance, I suppose.