You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Lost Horizon - German Demo (now English!) Available

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Well, the German press always rates adventures unusually high, especially the ones out of Germany!
Because they are intended for the German market and mentality. There is nothing wrong with giving adventures good ratings. Most foreign magazines just don't like them or the way they are (cheap, old gameplay, no action).
Old 08-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #22

best adventure i've played since Book of Unwritten Tales (i know, that wasnt that long ago ) but bout and this are the best that have come out for years. its really scratching my Indy adventuring itch. the female sidekick however is not as charming as sophia hapgood, which is a minor complaint. i'll try to post my final thoughts once i beat the game. im guessing im about 1/3 through.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptin View Post
Because they are intended for the German market and mentality. There is nothing wrong with giving adventures good ratings. Most foreign magazines just don't like them or the way they are (cheap, old gameplay, no action).
There is definitely nothing wrong with it. I only feel that most of them don't deserve the high ratings. Not that it bothers me too much.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #24

Is the full game in english out yet ?
lol as much as i want this game i really dislike germen demos
they give me such a headache XD
Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #25
Sho

The English demo is out now (see Adventure Gamers' news listing).

I've been playing the German full game for a few days now and it's the best adventure I've played in years! Just the right mix of narrative and puzzles for me, consistently beautiful backgrounds, and a real sense of *adventuring*.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #26

Im in the UK and just downloaded full English version from Gamersgate. Looks like they changed release date. Really good so far, enjoying it.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #27

Started the demo yesterday. It's very good indeed
Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #28

Played the 1st hour of the demo, and all I have to say is WWOOWW. Awesome graphics, awesome music, awesome voice-acting (very believable chinese accent many of the characters have, I love it)... Presentation wise, I compare this game with Grim Fandango, both games have perfect execution. Story is very nice so far and the puzzles are on the easy side but I have no complaint. This game really reminds me of the 90s, the golden age of adventure gaming.

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #29

I think I'm almost done with the demo and loving it. The graphics are gorgeous and the voice acting is way better than most games. The story seems cliche but drawing me in nonetheless, and I already like the characters I've met so far, which is a big plus for me personally, and something most AG's (or in any genre for that matter), usually lack.

My only gripes are that there's a lot of loading screens taking out some of the immersion. I'd also prefer that the actions you take in the game were set in real time, rather than perform an action, then sit and watch a brief cut scene of what you just did.

Still though, for me, a buy the same day it comes out. Something I rarely do nowadays as I've gotten old and very cynical.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #30

On Chapter 3 now and this game has been great all the way through so far. The puzzles are not the hardest and a couple in Chapter 2 you can even choose the difficulty of.
I hope they sell enough copies as this is the first adventure in a while that has kept my interest and the developers deserve success.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #31

I've just completed the demo, and what I saw impressed me. I like almost everything about this game, though the gameplay is a bit too simple, at least in the chapter featured in this version. Still, I'm unpatiently waiting for the english version of the game to be released.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #32
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Mhz View Post
I think GamersGate got it wrong, it just says not available yet, when clicking the link. The German release date was the 20th, but English language version 17/09. BTW that's what the first reviews tell as the release date as well. Weirdly enough the same Gamereactor site, but in Finnish gave the game a much higher score 7/10. To sum them up, the Danish/English review says that the story is not interesting, the characters are too thin, the game is very easy, but has some illogical puzzles and the game is all and all a bit too confusing. The Finnish review says that the voice acting is beyond horrible, the poorly animated character models don't fit together with the nice backgrounds, some puzzles are illogical, the game is easy, but the story is gripping and the overall atmosphere is excellent and definitely worth getting if you are into adventuring.
So to sum it up: Secret File a Side Story ? LOL.....

I really liked the Demo and the whole Secret Files vibe. I can´t wait enought to play as i wait for Secret Files 3.

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #33

Just finished it. What a great game.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #34
Detective

I'm currently playing the game AND WOW, I'm LOVING IT!!! This is such a fresh breath of air from the usually mediocre adventure games (last played Alter Ego...). Love the characters,dialogues,environment,music,quests,etc and it has that uncharted vibe a la ps3 but better (German soldiers are always a win!). Anyways i'm gonna play some more
Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #35
Dungeon Master

I've just reached the the "Chapter 1" title card in the demo, ie. I made it through a half-an-hour cutscene interspersed with three puzzles. Don't get me wrong, I like a story-heavy on-rails adventure once in a while, but only if the story is worthy and the puzzles are easy but not lazy. So far the story consists of only cliches and tributes, and of the three challenges one was of "use key on door" level of complexity, one was a dialogue only solvable through trial and error (even if the chosen lines matched what would be said, which they didn't), and the last one... was actually a pretty fun locked-in-a-room scenario, except for one logic hole (I didn't understand why the hero refusesd to put off the light to make one thing, but not the other).

Does it improve later on? Because I am not sure I have the willpower to finish the demo, let alone the full game. Pity; visually the game is pure magic.