You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 9: the last resort, have anyone played it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #1

Default 9: the last resort, have anyone played it?

It's an old game that didn't really sell, which is weird in my opinion since it had allot of big names behind it (such as robert de niro who directed it). I think that this game and the first and second myst games, are the hardest games i have ever played.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

I have a copy that I got in a budget collection. I think most people were put off by the general weirdness. In overall feel it's so far from the mainstream it needs binoculars to see it. Add to that the fact that it is, as you said, pretty damn hard, and I'm not enormously surprised it didn't do better.

Just goes to show that having big names isn't everything. You still need to make a game that appeals to the market.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #3

I had 9 -- still have it somewhere. The original version wouldn't work if you had more than 32 MB of RAM on your computer. For a while the publisher let you send in your CD and they'd replace it with a CD of the updated version. But I read in a forum post somewhere that even that version had a limit on how much RAM your computer could have. It was a good deal higher than 32 MB, but now that computers have over a GB of RAM, the limit became a problem again. If you played it on a modern computer, it would have to be inside Virtual PC or another PC emulation program.

I was never able to finish the game because of the organ puzzle, a sort of megapuzzle where you combine clues from different locations in the game. I'm pretty sure I had it figured out, and I checked a walkthrough, but either I was "playing" the organ wrong or I missed something or there was a bug that kept the puzzle from working.

The game was marred by taking so long to save, and with many of the puzzles it was highly advisable that you save before trying them. But every time you saved, you had to listen to Cher (the fortune teller) moaning about "I'm always saving for you" or something similar, and she'd go on and on and on before actually saving the game. It was funny at first, but you couldn't skip it. That guy in the airplane could be annoying too.

9 was one of the more inventive and unusual games from the 1990's that you'd sometimes run into -- like Bad Mojo and Obsidian. We don't see that kind of thing anymore in commercial adventure games and I miss it.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #4

Wow, just watched the end sequence on youtube - craziest adventure game ending I've seen since (and oddly similar to) the one in Limbo of the Lost, except, you know... good. Looks like a strange but charming game, makes me want to try it despite *not* being a Myst person at all.

I remember seeing it on the store shelves back in the day, but couldn't really figure out what it was. May also have been turned off by the mention of Aerosmith since they had a couple of terrible, terrible games based on them around the same time.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #5

An amazing game in my opinion. Limbo of the lost looks like my kind of game is it that bad? or is it worth a shot.

Wish I had a different taste in gaming.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
is it that bad?
Worse

That said, Limbo of the Lost is such an odd phenomenon that it's worth playing just for the experience (or perhaps watching a let's play video since the puzzles are rubbish). Identifying what other games all the artwork was stolen from is a whole puzzle in itself.

Post redacted - please familiarise yourself with our rules on what's not okay to post.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 07-28-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: See FAQ
Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #7

I agree it was one strange game. It had this strange flying character that sounded like a mix between a drill seargent and NY cab driver and was very unpleasant. I still have it installed on my game comp running XP and the game plays well. It's set to compatibility with Win95 and 256 colors. There were some problems with the original releases, I recall.

The puzzles were tough enough and there was an "invitation" in the box with a code you had to enter to even open the first door. I pitty the folks who threw away the box and documentation. You may still be able to find the code on line, however. Worth a play for the "what were these designers thinking" factor.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #8

I played this game years ago, so my memory is fuzzy on it. Overall I remember liking it quite a bit. Very wacky game, lots of oddities and all that. The character in the plane was annoying in that he just wouldn't leave me alone, heh. I (sorta) remember that final organ puzzle being a pain in the butkis, but I prevailed in the end. I'd give it a solid B+ as it had good production values and pretty cool graphics/sound for the year it was released.