Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   scariest adventure game of all time? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/27317-scariest-adventure-game-all-time.html)

locqlynn 07-25-2010 04:07 PM

scariest adventure game of all time?

just wondering what your thoughts are on this subject

and if not scary, what about just a great atmosphere? I really enjoy games that have a very dark plot, and I've not played many new adventure games.

so what will it be ? :)

inm8#2 07-25-2010 04:35 PM

Gabriel Knight 1
Scratches
Sanitarium
Blackstone Chronicles
The Lost Crown
Amber: Journeys Beyond

Luther10 07-25-2010 04:54 PM

I can't think of any... A few supposedly scary games like Barrow Hill, Scratches, and even Penumbra, may have their shock moments but overall to me they are just not scary.

Fantasysci5 07-25-2010 06:22 PM

Hmm. For recommendations, games that have amazing atmospheres would have to be "The Lost Crown" and "The Longest Journey". I too love dark plots, so to name a few good games;

Dark/scary games
-Dark Fall 1&2
-The Lost Crown
-Barrow Hill
-Blackstone Chronicles
-Black Mirror
-Sanitarium

Games with good atmosphere with dark elements
-The Longest Journey&Dreamfall
-Myst games

But the title of the thread caught my attention, and as a discussion topic; what is the scariest adventure game out there? For me, I'd have to say, "Scratches". Having to sneak around, and actually having things pop out at you, I was geniunely scared to play this at night with all of the lights out. :P

Sughly 07-25-2010 07:16 PM

Yeah, most definately Scratches. Scared the hell out of me at some stages (as in, jumping off my chair scared) and I consider myself hard to scare. I suppose this one just hit all the right notes for me. And it made me really not want to visit certain areas of the house when I had to...

Besides that, I have to admit I haven't played many others such as Lost Crown. Sorry Fantasy :frown:, I've been meaning to. And talking of Scratches, the trailer for their new game looks like it has potential to be equally freaky.

EDIT: Barrow Hill didn't really do it for me. Fizzled into not too much...

terhardp 07-25-2010 10:47 PM

Here are such games I've played so far:
  • Lost Crown
  • Dark Fall (the series)
  • Black Mirror
  • Barrow Hill
  • Scratches

For the atmospere, it would be a battle between Boakes' games and the first "Black Mirror". Sometimes I found it almost incredible, that this game, which certainly has lot of flaws, is one of the most memorable adventure titles I've played. Atmospere and the setting is probably its best feature.

And as for the scares, maybe the only game that really made me jump out the chair is "Scratches". Here are the three moments that did it for me:

Spoiler:
1. Mask over the shoulder
2. Trip inside the fireplace
3. Look through the hole in the wall

Also, Boakes' games have several such moments, but, though I don't like it nearly as much from the artistic and aesthetic point of view, I must say that "Scratches" is probably the scariest adventure game I've played so far.

gray pierce 07-26-2010 04:22 AM

Don't know if thrillers also count but I'd like to throw in the mix...

"Still Life"

It's not particularly scary but it has a really dark and gloomy atmosphere and the plot is kinda disturbing in a way. Also there were parts in the game where I actually held my breath (a certain passage in a labyrinth springs to mind)

locqlynn 07-26-2010 04:43 AM

thanks everyone for all the advice!

i'm trying to find a place where i can buy Scratches online, no luck so far, the lost crown also looks really neat, so many games, so little time

nomarch 07-26-2010 05:50 AM

Don't forget Phantasmagoria 1. It may not have aged that well and isn't the hardest game in the world to complete but it had a great atmosphere and some really good scares too.

Jacques l'aliéné 07-26-2010 08:00 AM

'The Lurking Horror' and 'Anchorhead'.

Both text Adventures.

What you imagine is more often than not more terrible and frightening than what you can see.

Isak 07-26-2010 09:17 AM

I've always considered Sanitarium as a great but disturbing game. Maybe not the scariest game of all time, but somewhat disturbing.

GarageGothic 07-26-2010 10:35 AM

Not really an adventure game, but I found The Residents: Freak Show very disturbing at the time. In general though I find that Jonathan Boakes' later games creep me out to a degree where I don't really feel like playing them with the lights off. A bit of a shame in terms of atmosphere, but very much a compliment to Mr. Boakes.

3rdFloor 07-26-2010 04:10 PM

Some might disagree with me, but even after all these years, Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh remains the most disturbingly and psychologically terrifying piece of interactive entertainment I've ever had the mishap of playing. Come to think of it, I haven't bought a horror title ever since.

There was something so terrifying about playing as a random Joe living in his small apartment, going to his regular day job, meeting his best friend and loving girlfriend, and suddenly finding out your world is a complete rendition of hell. Nothing about the gameplay was even memorable; it's the moody setting and story (of which the final outcome was completely insane) that won't let go of me to this day.

orient 07-26-2010 05:23 PM

I don't put much value in a game being able to make me jump. That's probably the most primitive thing a horror game (or film) can aim to achieve. I'd rather a game truly freak me out, like in Sanitarium, or have a really dark, foreboding atmosphere, like in Post Mortem and parts of Still Life.

Sughly 07-26-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orient (Post 555646)
I don't put much value in a game being able to make me jump. That's probably the most primitive thing a horror game (or film) can aim to achieve. I'd rather a game truly freak me out, like in Sanitarium, or have a really dark, foreboding atmosphere, like in Post Mortem and parts of Still Life.

Yeah I agree with this, but I might have misrepresented that it was this sense of unease I got out of Scratches. It did make me jump a few times, sure, but the rest of the time definately carried a foreboding atmosphere.

Fantasysci5 07-26-2010 06:41 PM

I agree orient. I much prefer a dark atmosphere to 'pop out scares' and gore factors, which is why I disliked the newest "Dark Fall" game. I thought "The Lost Crown" had a wonderful atmosphere, without having too many pop out scares. But I don't know if some would consider that as 'scary', which is why I chose "Scratches".

orient 07-26-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sughly (Post 555648)
Yeah I agree with this, but I might have misrepresented that it was this sense of unease I got out of Scratches. It did make me jump a few times, sure, but the rest of the time definately carried a foreboding atmosphere.

Yeah, a good horror game usually has some well-timed jump scares, but doesn't rely on them as its only way to strike fear in the player. A perfect example of this is Resident Evil. The dogs jumping through the window put me on edge, but what created the prolonged tension was the mechanics -- the fact that I didn't have enough bullets to kill the two zombies on the other side of the door. The fact that I only had one healing herb and the save room was on the other side of the mansion.

I agree with you, Fantasysci5, that too much gore can become trivial if there isn't a good reason for it. Examining a bin and finding a disembodied head is freaky the first time, but if you line up 20 bins and they all have body parts inside, you're going to be desensitized and bored by the time you've examine the last one.

anerro 07-27-2010 12:22 AM

I have never played an adventure game that really made me lose sleep or anything like that. I think the only game that fits that category would be silent hill 2, but it's not an adventure game. To be honest I don't think that adventure games have any potential of being scary. Player health and stuff like that contribute to the sense of "danger" that pumps your adrenaline up.

Lee in Limbo 07-27-2010 04:38 AM

Shivers.

Jelena 07-27-2010 04:50 AM

The game (as others have mentioned before me) that really made me jump in my chair and bring my pulse up was Scratches. And along with the eerie atmosphere of the house I find it the most scary game I've played.
Sanitarium was indeed disturbing, but didn't scary me much, rather made me feel ill at ease.

Jodokall 07-27-2010 06:23 AM

Never played Scratches, but the scariest game I ever played wasn't an adventure game. It was the Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3. It's poop your pants scary.

cwapitm 07-27-2010 12:56 PM

Scratches is the only adventure game that has genuinely scared me. Played it once, and I don't dare play it again lol. The Lost Crown is pretty suspenseful, but I wasn't too scared.

ncf1 07-27-2010 04:31 PM

Best *atmosphere* for me is Personal Nightmare 2. And really, there hadn't been any game quite like it in terms of atmosphere until I played Scratches. Personal Nightmare still pips it though for me.

The Dark Eye is the most *unsettling*, and I absolutely love this game, it might be my favourite adventure of all time.

The scariest, of course you'd be looking at the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series'.

rottford 07-27-2010 05:32 PM

Siren. 'Nuff said.

Chrono-Serge 07-28-2010 01:55 PM

I'd have to say Barrow Hill. Although I remember thinking the minotaur maze in KQ6 was pretty scary as a child :)

Sik 07-29-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrono-Serge (Post 555768)
I'd have to say Barrow Hill. Although I remember thinking the minotaur maze in KQ6 was pretty scary as a child :)

I was just thinking the same thing regarding KQ6. I was only 10 or so while playing it the first time, but the minotaur maze is the only genuinely scary moment I can remember from an adventure game.

Among newer adventure games, I did find the Dark Fall series, The Lost Crown and Barrow Hill creepy at times. Oh, and I had to play Scratches during the day... but for the wrong reasons. I fell asleep every time I tried playing it at night to enhance the atmosphere. :/ I loved the setting, and the puzzles, but I found the atmosphere more cozy than creepy. :p

thomas8977 07-29-2010 07:21 AM

I am surprised no one has mentioned either 7th Guest or 11th Hour. not only was the whole game spooky. With the hard puzzles that twist your mind and the creepy music, all together it was one scary game(s).

mgeorge 07-29-2010 09:40 AM

While not exactly an AG, the scariest game ever made was System Shock 2 IMO. Roaming the halls near the beginning with absolutely nothing around. Then. Bam! The monkees, OMG, the monkees!

crabapple 07-29-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottford (Post 555715)
Siren. 'Nuff said.

Siren creeped me out even when I wasn't playing it, which no adventure game has ever managed to do.

Gamegirl 07-29-2010 10:54 PM

If you like a bit more action with your adventure you can't go wrong with the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games. I love them.

Lady Kestrel 07-30-2010 12:21 PM

Amber: Journeys Beyond had some great creepy moments.

clockradiospeakers 07-31-2010 01:52 PM

I'd say the first Dark Fall. One of the few games with an atmosphere meticulous and well-designed enough for me to suspend my disbelief.

Reflection 07-31-2010 04:26 PM

Sanitarium - especially the music.

glimmertwin87 08-04-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamegirl (Post 555857)
If you like a bit more action with your adventure you can't go wrong with the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games. I love them.

The Gamecube remake of Resident Evil scared the hell out of me. There were several occasions where the joypad almost went flying, out of fright.

Zombies!.....Aaarrrrrr!..get them off me!

Little Writer 08-05-2010 02:14 AM

I'd go with "Silent Hill 2" as well. While it's strictly speaking in the survival horror genre, it can be played as an adventure game as well. I even has settings for each new game where you can put combat low and puzzles high (though how exactly that difficulty level for the puzzles is changed, I have no idea).

I've always found that old "Alone in the Dark" game scary. Roaming that empty mansion with werewolves and zombies suddenly appearing all over the place ...

I don't like "shock" scary. That's just a cheap technique relying on sensory overload, and some people are just more sensitive to that than others. Nothing more than the old "ha! made you flinch!" teasing game. Reallly scary always has to be atmospheric to me. The Gabriel Knight games indeed come close, and that old X-Files game captured the show's style pretty good.

When it comes to games not that old, I wouldn't know. Most atmospherically scary games I'm seeing mentioned here seem to be first person puzzlers, which I don't like. I'd vote for "Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy", at least until the game turns all Matrixy sci-fi. And of course "Overclocked" is a good attempt.

ozzie 08-05-2010 08:13 AM

The freeware adventure Trilby's Notes, without a question.
It's so scary I had to quit and tell myself that it's only a game over and over again before I had the courage to continue! No other game before or since managed to scare me that much.
To be honest though, I haven't played many horror games, and none after Trilby.

Pandaara 08-05-2010 11:04 AM

Dark Seed had some creepy moments, even though the game is frustrating to play.

Some scary games I have played are Forbidden Siren 1 and 2, Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem, Resident Evil remake. I still consider Silent Hill 2 to be the pinnacle though of horror.

Some adventure games are scary, like Clock Tower (thinking back now, whoa, that was chilling) but with adventure games it's more unsettling than anything else. It's not a bad thing mind you, it's still scary :P

Oh the irony.

Roper Klacks 08-05-2010 03:09 PM

Definitely the Penumbra series. Some parts are almost unbearable.

mgeorge 08-05-2010 05:33 PM

I'm looking forward to Amnesia by the same devs that did the Penumbra series. It's coming out at the end of this month and looks very scary. Check out this trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...sia-the/701428

drunk 08-05-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 556350)
The freeware adventure Trilby's Notes, without a question.

I absolutely agree with that. All of these Trilby games are excellent and extremely scary.

And I would also say "Scratches" (subtle horror) and "Phantasmagoria 1" (splatter horror).