Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   scariest adventure game of all time? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/27317-scariest-adventure-game-all-time.html)

Jodokall 07-27-2010 06:23 AM

Never played Scratches, but the scariest game I ever played wasn't an adventure game. It was the Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3. It's poop your pants scary.

cwapitm 07-27-2010 12:56 PM

Scratches is the only adventure game that has genuinely scared me. Played it once, and I don't dare play it again lol. The Lost Crown is pretty suspenseful, but I wasn't too scared.

ncf1 07-27-2010 04:31 PM

Best *atmosphere* for me is Personal Nightmare 2. And really, there hadn't been any game quite like it in terms of atmosphere until I played Scratches. Personal Nightmare still pips it though for me.

The Dark Eye is the most *unsettling*, and I absolutely love this game, it might be my favourite adventure of all time.

The scariest, of course you'd be looking at the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series'.

rottford 07-27-2010 05:32 PM

Siren. 'Nuff said.

Chrono-Serge 07-28-2010 01:55 PM

I'd have to say Barrow Hill. Although I remember thinking the minotaur maze in KQ6 was pretty scary as a child :)

Sik 07-29-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrono-Serge (Post 555768)
I'd have to say Barrow Hill. Although I remember thinking the minotaur maze in KQ6 was pretty scary as a child :)

I was just thinking the same thing regarding KQ6. I was only 10 or so while playing it the first time, but the minotaur maze is the only genuinely scary moment I can remember from an adventure game.

Among newer adventure games, I did find the Dark Fall series, The Lost Crown and Barrow Hill creepy at times. Oh, and I had to play Scratches during the day... but for the wrong reasons. I fell asleep every time I tried playing it at night to enhance the atmosphere. :/ I loved the setting, and the puzzles, but I found the atmosphere more cozy than creepy. :p

thomas8977 07-29-2010 07:21 AM

I am surprised no one has mentioned either 7th Guest or 11th Hour. not only was the whole game spooky. With the hard puzzles that twist your mind and the creepy music, all together it was one scary game(s).

mgeorge 07-29-2010 09:40 AM

While not exactly an AG, the scariest game ever made was System Shock 2 IMO. Roaming the halls near the beginning with absolutely nothing around. Then. Bam! The monkees, OMG, the monkees!

crabapple 07-29-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottford (Post 555715)
Siren. 'Nuff said.

Siren creeped me out even when I wasn't playing it, which no adventure game has ever managed to do.

Gamegirl 07-29-2010 10:54 PM

If you like a bit more action with your adventure you can't go wrong with the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games. I love them.

Lady Kestrel 07-30-2010 12:21 PM

Amber: Journeys Beyond had some great creepy moments.

clockradiospeakers 07-31-2010 01:52 PM

I'd say the first Dark Fall. One of the few games with an atmosphere meticulous and well-designed enough for me to suspend my disbelief.

Reflection 07-31-2010 04:26 PM

Sanitarium - especially the music.

glimmertwin87 08-04-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamegirl (Post 555857)
If you like a bit more action with your adventure you can't go wrong with the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games. I love them.

The Gamecube remake of Resident Evil scared the hell out of me. There were several occasions where the joypad almost went flying, out of fright.

Zombies!.....Aaarrrrrr!..get them off me!

Little Writer 08-05-2010 02:14 AM

I'd go with "Silent Hill 2" as well. While it's strictly speaking in the survival horror genre, it can be played as an adventure game as well. I even has settings for each new game where you can put combat low and puzzles high (though how exactly that difficulty level for the puzzles is changed, I have no idea).

I've always found that old "Alone in the Dark" game scary. Roaming that empty mansion with werewolves and zombies suddenly appearing all over the place ...

I don't like "shock" scary. That's just a cheap technique relying on sensory overload, and some people are just more sensitive to that than others. Nothing more than the old "ha! made you flinch!" teasing game. Reallly scary always has to be atmospheric to me. The Gabriel Knight games indeed come close, and that old X-Files game captured the show's style pretty good.

When it comes to games not that old, I wouldn't know. Most atmospherically scary games I'm seeing mentioned here seem to be first person puzzlers, which I don't like. I'd vote for "Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy", at least until the game turns all Matrixy sci-fi. And of course "Overclocked" is a good attempt.

ozzie 08-05-2010 08:13 AM

The freeware adventure Trilby's Notes, without a question.
It's so scary I had to quit and tell myself that it's only a game over and over again before I had the courage to continue! No other game before or since managed to scare me that much.
To be honest though, I haven't played many horror games, and none after Trilby.

Pandaara 08-05-2010 11:04 AM

Dark Seed had some creepy moments, even though the game is frustrating to play.

Some scary games I have played are Forbidden Siren 1 and 2, Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem, Resident Evil remake. I still consider Silent Hill 2 to be the pinnacle though of horror.

Some adventure games are scary, like Clock Tower (thinking back now, whoa, that was chilling) but with adventure games it's more unsettling than anything else. It's not a bad thing mind you, it's still scary :P

Oh the irony.

Roper Klacks 08-05-2010 03:09 PM

Definitely the Penumbra series. Some parts are almost unbearable.

mgeorge 08-05-2010 05:33 PM

I'm looking forward to Amnesia by the same devs that did the Penumbra series. It's coming out at the end of this month and looks very scary. Check out this trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...sia-the/701428

drunk 08-05-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 556350)
The freeware adventure Trilby's Notes, without a question.

I absolutely agree with that. All of these Trilby games are excellent and extremely scary.

And I would also say "Scratches" (subtle horror) and "Phantasmagoria 1" (splatter horror).