You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Nancy Drew: Trail of the Twister

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #1

Default Nancy Drew: Trail of the Twister

It's been out since lost month, but I haven't read much about it here on Adventure Gamers. I am curious if someone has already played it and could share some thoughts on this game?
I do like the series, but Trail of the Twister gets bad reviews. What do our AG's think?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #2

Default ToT

On the minus side

It seems to me that HER has gone down the road of action rather than sleuthing. Movement between venues is by top down view of car which is mouse driven. Lots of other cars (obstacles) which crash into each other as well as you. This got very tedious after the third journey.
Story is only marginaly believable.
4 suspects (only 5 characters in game). So sleuthing is minimum.
No old pals to phone.
A mouse trap puzzle appears in three variants.
Easy (but tedious) mini game filling in areas vs computer. Has to be played 20+ times to win enough cash to buy token for the game Easter Egg. That is apart from casual shopping. (Sheesh!)
The alternative money maker, fixing circuit boards, is a low paid job and even more boring.

On the plus side

Shopping to a budget as a puzzle is educational.
I learnt a bit about twisters and cloud formations.
Graphics continue to improve.
Speaker positioning puzzle and a circuit puzzle are reasonably difficult.

Overall

A couple of bright spots in dull, overcast outlook. i.e. Not near the best of the series.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I completely agree with the above poster! I thought things were looking up after Waverly, but they seem to have taken a step back. I still enjoyed playing it, but missed calling my friends and sleuthing around. And I hated the driving. Personally, I thought this was better than Seven Ships, but not as good as many of the other games. It seemed a little short/easy to me, but I did spend a whole day on it which can distort time perception. I would say play it if you enjoy Nancy Drew, as long as you don't expect the highest level. Maybe once the price goes down...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #4

I haven't played it yet, and by looking at the pile of games I bought and want to play by the summer's end, and considering the lukewarm posts I've read here and at other forums, I'll probably skip it.

Besides, aren't Nancy Drew titles released in the fall usually better somehow? I thought The Haunting of Castle Malloy and Warnings at Waverly Academy were solid, well-designed games. That it's part of Her Interactive's business plan to release more action-oriented ND outings during the summer is my best guess.

To the original poster: Ultimately, perhaps you should wait for AG's review of it? Surely it can't be far down the road.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
Besides, aren't Nancy Drew titles released in the fall usually better somehow? I thought The Haunting of Castle Malloy and Warnings at Waverly Academy were solid, well-designed games. That it's part of Her Interactive's business plan to release more action-oriented ND outings during the summer is my best guess.
Nice analysis! Maybe I'll just wait for the fall release.
Although I did like the Ransom of the Seven Ships a lot. Okay, there was this tedious driving around the island and the annoying wall climbing but most of the puzzles were very amusing. Even the timed color-sudoku puzzle under water, but that was because I wrote a little routine to solve it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
To the original poster: Ultimately, perhaps you should wait for AG's review of it? Surely it can't be far down the road.
I hope so!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Hey, that's some good thinking, DeadWolf! I hope the next one is as good as Waverly...
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #7

Default Walkthrough

I thought it was pretty fun to play, Of course, I have enjoyed all the Nancy Drew games. For anyone who needs a thorough walkthough, you can visit my blog. Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #8

Wasn't that the game in the last giveaway contest? I always enter, but I never hear anything about it. Does anyone actually win those?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
Wasn't that the game in the last giveaway contest? I always enter, but I never hear anything about it. Does anyone actually win those?
I don't think contest winners are publicly announced on Adventure Gamers. I agree it somehow gives the impression that no one ever wins, but that doesn't make the contests any less real or legit, I'm sure.

One of these days, I shall win!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 AM   #10

I'm disappointed to hear that the Nancy Drew games have taken such a shift in direction -- I only recently played my first one, starting with #8 - The Haunted Carousel, and enjoyed it enough to pick up a 3-pack of several other early Nancy Drew titles (#4-#6). Sounds like I'll have to make the most of the series' beginnings!