Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Looking for something to play (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/27299-looking-something-play.html)

anerro 07-21-2010 10:46 AM

Looking for something to play

Hi, I just recently finished sanetarium and it blew my mind away. Every once in a while I run into a game that really leaves a mark. I like psychological horror games, such as sanetarium and 9 if anyone have heard of it, "deep" games that offer a rich experience. Had my fair share of funny Lucas arts style adventures and to be honest I have had enough...:Z

Another one on my list would be planescape:torment (even though it's not an adventure game ..)

Any recommendations?

inm8#2 07-21-2010 11:15 AM

Scratches

rayvio 07-21-2010 11:23 AM

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
the Gabriel Knight games have some dark tones as well, though a nice touch of sarcastic humour as well

Luther10 07-21-2010 02:06 PM

First game came to my mind that fits your criteria = Sherlock Holmes Awakened.

Luna Sevithiainen 07-21-2010 11:46 PM

You may also want to try out The Blackstone Chronicles. Not extremely scary, but still psychologically dark.

anerro 07-22-2010 06:08 AM

Thank for the reply I will check these games out

Jodokall 07-22-2010 06:23 AM

I do understand what you mean by "leaving a mark" and I'd have to say The Longest Journey is one of those games.

Or if you want to stick with the horror/thriller/psychological style game, Still Life was excellent and definitely fits the profile of the game you're looking for.

anerro 07-22-2010 06:35 AM

Perhaps I should have used other words to describe my lasting impression from this game (god i'm starting to sound like that home schooled spelling bee kid from YouTube). Yeah still life is definitely a kick ass game.
Innovation is something that is hard to find these days.

Isak 07-26-2010 09:21 AM

Play the Black Mirror games. The first one is great, finished it a couple of time, playing the second game at the moment, which is great so far.

gray pierce 07-26-2010 05:41 PM

Not so much horror but very psychological and dark: Overclocked: A History of Violence. A very well thought, well told story that definetely left a mark on me. (in other words I found it completely awesomely kick ass) Though the gameplay or lack of it may put you off. Not to be allarmed though there is still a lot of gameplay in it but it's not exactely a standard type if AG.

Also I completely second the SH: The Awakened option but even better imo: SH vs Jack the Ripper very dark with some psychological overtones and it left a very deep mark on me. I've seen, read and played dozens of Ripper stories and this is definitely one of the best I've come across with a very rewarding and believable plot. (in other words the story rocks brutally hard)

Edit: I'm kinda behind on my Rippers to play list so not exaxtly dozens but you catch my drift.
Had to be honest:pan:

anerro 07-27-2010 12:10 AM

Isak I just finished black mirror 2 and I didn't like it at all. Boring story and way too easy (without the hint system of course). I'm looking for games that are less in touch with reality. On that note I would warmly recommend to play machinarium if you hadn't already.

gray i'l check these games out..

Isak 07-27-2010 11:42 AM

Okay. You mentioned deep games... Try out the Syberia games. Great story and strong characters. Plays with reality too.