You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Seriously, why did Jane Jensen choose the name "The Beast Within" for GK2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #1

Default Seriously, why did Jane Jensen choose the name "The Beast Within" for GK2?

I can't believe that I've accidently stumbled upon a horror movie on youtube named the beast within as well while I was searching for GK2 videos

It can't be a concidence at all. She certainly must have watched the movie. I'm somehow very disappointed in her for choosing that same name because now, whenever I think of Gk2, I can't help but think of that horror movie.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Pixiehunter

I don't know, the Beast Within is such a fitting title for GK2, and it is not that it is a hugely uncommon and odd name, so I think it is a coincidence and that the title comes from Jane Jensen's own mind.

Was it a werewolf movie?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
I don't know, the Beast Within is such a fitting title for GK2, and it is not that it is a hugely uncommon and odd name, so I think it is a coincidence and that the title comes from Jane Jensen's own mind.
The beast within is much older than GK2. Both the movie and the term. I agree with you that it is a very fitting title, once you've played the game and seen the beast within Gabe. But Jane Jensen didn't coin the phrase.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
scapegoat sculptor

Agreed. And beyond it's obvious denotative meaning, on a connotative level, it can refer to human nature and psychology in general. I suppose it must've been used for ages - the more I repeat the phrase 'the beast within' in my mind, the more it seems to fit at least into a Shakespearian time frame.
But I'm sure there's more to come, as Andrea hasn't posted yet!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
The beast within is much older than GK2. Both the movie and the term. I agree with you that it is a very fitting title, once you've played the game and seen the beast within Gabe. But Jane Jensen didn't coin the phrase.
Yeah that was what my tired mind was trying to say. Not that she was the first to use the phrase (which it looks like now that I read it back), but that it is likely she didn't just take it from the movie.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyper View Post
I can't believe that I've accidently stumbled upon a horror movie on youtube named the beast within as well while I was searching for GK2 videos

It can't be a concidence at all. She certainly must have watched the movie. I'm somehow very disappointed in her for choosing that same name because now, whenever I think of Gk2, I can't help but think of that horror movie.
C'mon, that's a bit over the top.

To be honest I'm pretty angry at Lucas Arts when they named Monkey Island, I just can't stop thinking about this river .
Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Freeware Co-ordinator

Don't forget the album that clearly far predates the game series as well.

Given werewolves are quite literally the beast within (a person infected with lycanthropy looking normal most of the time) it is not that surprising that the phrase has been used for both the game and a film. You could arguably say Jane Jensen has failed to show imagination in the title. IMHO she's made up for that in the content of the story though. (I particularly liked the means by which you could force werewolves to change)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Don't forget the album that clearly far predates the game series as well.
Not to mention the 13th Floor Elevators song of the same name.

As others have said, the phrase "Beast Within" is a commonly used one. I wouldn't be surprised if Jane had come across this quote, attributed to Gerald Hausman, though I can't find a clear source and date: "We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves".
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Was it a werewolf movie?
A monster actually
Old 07-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #10

"Sins of the Fathers" is yet another common phrase, originating in both the Bible and the ancient Greek dramas. But truth to be told, I fail to see why Mrs Jensen shouldn't be allowed to use it in her own context without being accused of plagiarism.

It would be like using a proverb in a title of your own - everyone would be familiar with it, and yet no one would call you unoriginal.

...Aaaand, I just might have several perfect sub-titles, for which I am sure that Mrs Jensen will readily accept for the next Gabriel Knight games:

"Gabriel Knight IV: Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear to Tread"
"Gabriel Kniht V: An Englishman's Home is his Castle"
"Gabriel Knight VI: Don't Teach Your Grandma to Suck Eggs"
"Gabriel Knight VII: All Work and No Play Makes Gabe a Dull Boy"

etc, etc...

Last edited by So There; 07-08-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by So There View Post
"Gabriel Knight VII: All Work and No Play Makes Gabe a Dull Boy"
I am looking forward to this one.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #12

I remember seeing the movie several times on Joe Bob Brigg's Monstervision. The beast within, in this case, is a kind of giant insect.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
I remember seeing the movie several times on Joe Bob Brigg's Monstervision. The beast within, in this case, is a kind of giant insect.
I know it's getting very off-topic right now, but I hope you can answer this for me just once. I really don't want to watch the movie because it looks so scary to me.

MOVIE SPOILER AHEAD

I read some of the reviews that say the ending sucks, how did it end exactly? What happened to the girl after she got raped in the end?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #14

It was originally going to be called Gabriel Knight and the Wolfman but it lacked pep.