You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 15 Days - What a let down

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #1

Default 15 Days - What a let down

Well after being very excited about 15 Days, since I loved Overclocked and to a lesser extent The Moment of Silence I installed the game and revved it up.

Opening sequence looks good, Stuff being stolen etc. etc. OK its gripped, its sorted lets Adventure!

2 Hours later...

er, where's the adventure? I'm basically watching an interactive movie. no worries I'm sure it'll get better this is HoT after all.

2 Further hours later.

Nope, it's just an interactive movie, everything is signposted for you, not one piece of single adventuring to do in the entire game (except maybe the catacomb maze and laser sequence)

Honestly I have never had such a lack lustre gaming experience in all my years of P&C adventures.

Plus Points

Game engine looks quite nice
Voice acting is adequate (just)
Using the internet to find stuff (no Gab Knight 3 though by any means)
Lots of switching between different characters
Spoiler:
Gordon Brown Dies

Couple of interesting puzzles

Minus Points

Utterly pointless and boring dialogue
More plot holes than you can shake a stick at
Almost completely redundant playable character
No character empathy whatsoever

Bottom Line: 15 Days makes Full Throttle look like Myst!

anyone else?

Last edited by nomarch; 07-05-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Restless Dreamer

I became wary of this one after reading some bad press - guess they were right.
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarch View Post
Bottom Line: 15 Days makes Full Throttle look like Myst!
Taken out of context that's one hell of a box quote - I'd buy it for sure. But I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it as a compliment.

Edit: Does the game at least follow through on its heist-based gameplay? I'm so sick of adventure games that set up an interesting and original premise for their protagonists and potential player interaction, but then forget all about it after the first half hour only to retread the same tired interchangeable puzzles we've come to expect from the genre (Memento Mori, I'm looking at you! - and to a lesser degree also Still Life, not much killer profiling going on there).

Last edited by GarageGothic; 07-05-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageGothic View Post
Taken out of context that's one hell of a box quote - I'd buy it for sure. But I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it as a compliment.
Not in the slightest, I absolutely loved Full Throttle but it was very easy, Myst on the other hand I hated and found it very, very hard.

Quote:
Edit: Does the game at least follow through on its heist-based gameplay? I'm so sick of adventure games that set up an interesting and original premise for their protagonists and potential player interaction, but then forget all about it after the first half hour only to retread the same tired interchangeable puzzles we've come to expect from the genre (Memento Mori, I'm looking at you! - and to a lesser degree also Still Life, not much killer profiling going on there).
Yes, but like the rest of the game the heists are so on rails its almost impossible not to know what to do and where to do it. Basically listen to all the dialogue carefully and you will never be stuck anywhere as you are guided or told what to do at every turn.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Minus Points

Utterly pointless and boring dialogue
More plot holes than you can shake a stick at
Almost completely redundant playable character
No character empathy whatsoever
Was the story any good or was it completely destroyed by the plot holes?
I thought Moment of Silence had a great story and Overclocked wasn't bad either. So I'm surprised that House of Tales would make a game with a bad story.

Last edited by crabapple; 07-05-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #6

to me the story was utterly meh i think the problem in that respect is that there was plenty of appetiser but absolutely no meat.

imagine sitting down to eat a great big juicy steak with all the trimmings only to bite into it and find out its bloody Quorn.

It all looks great on paper, the young, hip, high tech thieves, lots of Oceans 11 style banter*, breaking in to places and stealing stuff but the execution just isnt there. Not once did i feel even remotely connected to any of the characters (all of whom had a back story and reasonable smattering of hang ups/murky pasts) I simply couldn't bring myself to care about any of them.

I think this is what I am most disappointed about since Overclocked had a great story (and MoS but not so much) 15 Days is just bland, generic, not particularly interesting and worst of all simply not fun.

*If oceans 11 style banter is supposed to mean constantly whinging on at each other about meaningless crap then yes it has it in spades.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #7

I have 15 Days on pre-order and from the comments I've read here, I think I will like it. I like direction in a game and I like dialogue even if it isn't sparkling and witty, or whatever. I tried playing Overclocked, but didn't get very far due to a glitch when I couldn't get back into the building, but that was okay with me as I didn't like the game by then anyway. I did play Moment of Silence and I liked it. I never saw Ocean's 11 and I hate steak, never eat it. So just maybe this will be a great game for me. Anyway, I have to try it as I saw a screenshot from the game that I absolutely want to visit. That alone is a good enough reason for me to want to play this game, no matter how many negative comments I read. Afterwards, who knows, I might agree with the negatives, but until then I have to see for myself.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #8

I'm playing the game right now; I haven't get very far, so I won't read through the other posts for now because of possible spoilers.

But I must say that I'm pretty dissapointed as well, at least, so far. The story is pretty thin, characters also, puzzles are too simple. Although this isn't neccesary a bad thing, especially in story-driven adventures (I'm not sure weather this could be applied to 15 days, though).

What mainly drew me to this game are gorgues screenshots. However, now when I'm playing the game, I see that the graphic engine isn't very impressive.

This will be clearly a game like "Art of Murder" and "Chronicles of Mystery" series. They are mediocre in almost every aspect, but still offer a solid dose of entertainment.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #9

indeed! what a let down and i had such high expectations from this game
so... yeah i think i'll return the game
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramindy View Post
I have 15 Days on pre-order and from the comments I've read here, I think I will like it. I like direction in a game and I like dialogue even if it isn't sparkling and witty, or whatever. I tried playing Overclocked, but didn't get very far due to a glitch when I couldn't get back into the building, but that was okay with me as I didn't like the game by then anyway. I did play Moment of Silence and I liked it. I never saw Ocean's 11 and I hate steak, never eat it. So just maybe this will be a great game for me. Anyway, I have to try it as I saw a screenshot from the game that I absolutely want to visit. That alone is a good enough reason for me to want to play this game, no matter how many negative comments I read. Afterwards, who knows, I might agree with the negatives, but until then I have to see for myself.
Well if you are into mediocrity you're really gonna love 15 Days.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #11

Yes, well "mediocrity" is an opinion, NOT a fact, so it is up to each player to decide. Someone mentioned it was similar to "Art of Murder" and I totally enjoyed the first game, but not the 2 that followed, which I didn't even bother to finish. So, at this point, my mind is open to playing the game and finding out for myself where it stands in my opinion!
I am interested in everyone's opinions though and give them full weight because they are honest after all and I enjoy knowing what others think. About anything and everything!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
It's Hard To Be Humble

*applauds sierramindy* Only one opinion of a game should ever matter: yours. Personally, I'm intrigued by 15 Days as well, even if it is less than stellar.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #13

Fair enough if you want to try it for yourselves, but don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
I like direction in a game and I like dialogue even if it isn't sparkling and witty, or whatever.
We all like direction in life and we all like it when people are talking. Even if what comes out of their mouths is utter drivel

Quote:
I tried playing Overclocked, but didn't get very far due to a glitch when I couldn't get back into the building, but that was okay with me as I didn't like the game by then anyway.
With all due respect for your opinion but what's not to like? You maynot find it a masterpiece but at least it's enjoyable

Quote:
I never saw Ocean's 11
You should it's a good movie. Lots of plottwists

Quote:
I hate steak, never eat it.
*faints*

Quote:
Yes, well "mediocrity" is an opinion, NOT a fact, so it is up to each player to decide.
True I guess, though generally if everyone calls it mediocre it turns out to be just that. But then again there are exceptions (Heavens Fall mediocre? Come on!)

Quote:
Someone mentioned it was similar to "Art of Murder" and I totally enjoyed the first game, but not the 2 that followed, which I didn't even bother to finish.So, at this point, my mind is open to playing the game and finding out for myself where it stands in my opinion!
I found the first one a fun ride but nothing more. I never played the second one because I couldn't get over the fact that an FBI agent could just travel all over the world without ever even having to fight over jurisdictions and even more the fact that it wasn't set in the US at all! I mean she's FBI not Interpol! The third one I've got hanging around on my computer and despite everyone saying it's bad I'm gonna see for myself

Quote:
I am interested in everyone's opinions though and give them full weight because they are honest after all and I enjoy knowing what others think. About anything and everything!
I think the Twilight movies are among the worst movies ever and by far the worst Vampire movies ever. I think Inception is gonna be great, I think Gulliermo del Toro shoould stop wasting his time on The Hobbit and start making Hellboy 3, I think Pirate of the Carrabean 4 is going to be a huge let down, I think The Company is the best TV-series I've ever seen, I think I can't wait for the new season of Dexter,I think they should make new episodes of Dalziel and Pascoe and Wire in the Blood, I think the new season of Doctor Who is great, I think Kyle Craig should return to haunt Cross again. I think Dirk Pitt oughta be written out by now to give his children some more space to do their own thing. I think Obama's a great president. I think buying 600 dollar shoes is a huge waste of money, I think shows like Big Brother and X factor are a waste of TV-time, I think Comunism sucks as much as Capitalism, I think I don't like paintings by Francis Bacon, I think I'm getting better and better at cooking and I think we're out of milk

Since you've asked

Edit: I think the new season of Doctor Who was great, I think Communsim's even worse than Capitalism and that I'm horrible at spelling and grammar when I'm typing to fast because I have this weird idea about telling a complete stranger what I'm thinking

Last edited by gray pierce; 07-06-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Edit: I think the new season of Doctor Who was great, I think Communsim's even worse than Capitalism and that I'm horrible at spelling and grammar when I'm typing to fast because I have this weird idea about telling a complete stranger what I'm thinking
Heh. I concur.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Heh. I concur.
Yeah, let's froget all about 15 Days and use this tread to rave about Steven Moffat, Matt Smith and Karen Gillian (or to complain about Communism, Capitalism and my horrible spelling and grammar)
Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #17

ROFL

any chance we could turn it into a Karen Gillian Picture thread? or would that just get it deleted quicker than you can say Collar and Cuffs?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
ROFL

any chance we could turn it into a Karen Gillian Picture thread? or would that just get it deleted quicker than you can say Collar and Cuffs?
Well there's only one way to find out. Tell me whan you started it than I'll start saying Collar and Cuffs
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #19

Wow, that was fun, I'm laughing so hard I probably have the tenants in neighboring apartments wondering what is going on that's so funny! Way to go!
I think my biggest laugh was at "faints" over my hating steak remark. And then it started building as more of you brought it on. Thanks, Everybody, I will never forget you even though I no longer remember all your names!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #20

I haven't tried 15 days yet, probably will eventually but unless I spot it really cheap in a sale it's not too high on my priority list right now. also I like steak, think Belgium has the best beer in the world and anyone who wants to be a leader of people is as a result unqualified to do so and as to what I think... I think I think too much
I think I think "I think I think too much" too much too
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus