You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Adventure Company!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #1

Default The Adventure Company!

Ok, here's the thing.

TAC used to be the biggest adventure game publisher in NA if not in the world. They used to publish lots of games - some were wonderful, some were pure crap, but that's not my point.

Ever since Jowood bought out DC/TAC it all went downhill. Fewer titles, decreasing popularity and poor reputation.

The Adventure Company used to my favorite publisher. I used to get excited by only seeing their logo @ the startup screen.

So, what happened ?

Last edited by TopCat; 06-25-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #2

I agree. The Adventure Company of today is not what it once was. They used to have killer line-ups during the Holiday season, year after year. I remember TAC promoting and publishing Kheops Studio's early games, and how I discovered Kheops that way, which is one of my favorite developers. During that time, they published superb titles like Syberia and Still Life. TAC was also running the atmospheric, albeit flawed, Agatha Christie adventure series.

As to what exactly happened, I wouldn't know. But my best guess is the same as yours; ever since that JoWood buyout, things seem to have drastically changed, and for the worse.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

They'd gone downhill long before JoWood bought them.
Remember when they actually gave helpful tech support?
That was a loooong time ago.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

They were still releasing adventures at the time, but the buyout was more symptom than cause, I believe. A last-gasp attempt to stay relevant, probably for both struggling companies (basically just giving each other a foothold in the other's territories). Didn't work.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Dark fall fan

Send a message via MSN to Big Al

They released some very good adventures and consistently. I like the period till a year back, now theres not much i like.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #6

I remember when they dropped the ball on Gray Matter, or Project Jane-J as it was known then. They went down in my estimation as a result and I haven't felt the same about TAC as I used to.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
They were still releasing adventures at the time, but the buyout was more symptom than cause, I believe. A last-gasp attempt to stay relevant, probably for both struggling companies (basically just giving each other a foothold in the other's territories). Didn't work.
This. I wasn't the biggest TAC/DC fan, but they did put out some good titles amongst the mediocre and the bad. When a bottom line company like that can't function, it's a sign that things have gone very wrong.

Still, we seem to be seeing a slight resurgence in AG development, unless I've read things wrong. Maybe we're better off without TAC.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Codger

I don't know that we're ever better off when we lose an AG publisher. The only ones that cheer their demise are BigFish and Oberon. The latter known as Jane Jensen, Inc.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
I don't know that we're ever better off when we lose an AG publisher. The only ones that cheer their demise are BigFish and Oberon. The latter known as Jane Jensen, Inc.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I lament the loss of any AG publisher in principle. More games is more games, no matter where they come from. I just have a sneaking suspicion that we had to lose TAC to elevate everyone else's game, so to speak, dev and player alike. With those games coming out like clockwork, we had a sort of bog standard approach that was kind of keeping us from accepting new approaches and innovative gampelay solutions. We're having to give Different a chance now, and I think that it's probably good for us. Sometimes you have to shake the tree to get rid of the rotten apples, you know what I mean?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Adventure Game Researcher

I agree with Jackal...it has been a tough market for any game company for a bit now, and hopefully things will improve when the world economy returns....people always need good stories..and the DVD Movie market is rapidly killing itself off with too may clones of too few good stories.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs