Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Detective Adventure Games (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/27092-detective-adventure-games.html)

yanks27th 06-14-2010 12:33 PM

Detective Adventure Games

I just finished playing through all the Gabriel Knight Adventure games, and loved them. I wondering if anyone knew any other good detective adventure games (or even non-adventure detective games)

rayvio 06-14-2010 01:05 PM

off the top of my head there's the Police Quest series and the two Laura Bow games also from Sierra, Discworld Noir and the Tex Murphy series

Origami 06-14-2010 02:54 PM

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper.

So There 06-14-2010 04:30 PM

Blade Runner, Black Dahlia, Agatha Christie's Evil Under the Sun, Sherlock Holmes: the Awakened, Cruise for a Corpse (if you are in a retro mood), and about a million more. :) And since you like Gabriel Knight, there's a million more to add from a horror genre: Dark Seed 1&2, Sanitarium, Phantasmagoria...

...There's also a nice little game called Insecticide which combines platform-jumping-and-shooting with levels of pure old-time noir detective adventuring.

millenia 06-15-2010 12:39 AM

Discworld Noir obviously. Not is it only an excellent detective game, it's the best adventure game in the world :).

Then there's Still Life and it's "predecessor" Post Mortem. Still Life is considered to be excellent and Post Mortem from mediocre to good.

Intense Degree 06-15-2010 01:16 AM

Not strictly detective games but Broken Sword 1 and 2 may well interest you.

M-E 06-15-2010 01:54 AM

When I was younger I used to love Jack Orlando, a game my dad brang home one day. It isn't regarded as a really good game, but i still love the atmosphere in the game.

Big Al 06-23-2010 05:05 AM

You got: Post mortem and Jack the ripper, both from around 2002 i love them :)

Origami 06-23-2010 05:11 AM

Owh how about Hopkins FBI

LOL!!! Contrary to almost everyone else I liked the game. =)
It has a one of the funniest and most daring twists in any narrative I have ever seen.

rayvio 06-23-2010 10:36 AM

Hopkins is enjoyable if you don't take it too seriously

gamingafter40 06-24-2010 04:46 PM

Check out Isaac Asimov's Robots of Dawn for the Commodore 64 if you're in the mood for something really old-school... it's very much in the Infocom detective mode, a text adventure with lots of talk-to-and-ask-about-and-look-for-clues. Not my favorite genre, but thoroughly detection-oriented and "feels" like Asimov's book.

marshal99 06-27-2010 05:14 AM

Tex Murphy of course. ;)

Under a Killing Moon

The Pandora Directive

Overseer

There's also

Ripper - well , sort of detective game. 6 cd-roms.

Black Dahlia - possibly the largest game ever since it consists of 8 cd-roms !

X-files : the FMV game - well , you don't actually play Mulder or Scully but a new agent who interacts within the world of the x-files. It's actually pretty cool. The PC version is 7 cd-roms while the PSX is shorten to 4 discs !

pizzo 06-27-2010 06:24 AM

I think SInking Island is a very good option.

rtrooney 06-27-2010 06:46 PM

Still Life

rottford 06-27-2010 08:40 PM

If I had to think of a gritty atmosphere detective game, Still Life would be my next choice after Gabriel Knight. That, and it's predecessor Post Mortem, would be good choices.

If I was thinking about traditional detective games, Dagger of Amon Ra and Cruise for a Corpse are both very good.

The Broken Sword series -- particularly Shadow of the Templars -- are great if you're looking for epic, globetrotting games in the likes of Gabriel Knight. Not nearly as dark as GK, but definitely as epic.

And, of course, if you're thinking of a Sherlockian mystery, Lost Files I: Case of the Serrated Scalpel is amazing. Never finished Rose Tattoo, the sequel, but it's also very brilliant.

adventurerer! 06-29-2010 07:03 AM

Good Games!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks27th (Post 552041)
I just finished playing through all the Gabriel Knight Adventure games, and loved them. I wondering if anyone knew any other good detective adventure games (or even non-adventure detective games)

Wow, im starting Sins of our Fathers haha, Great game, i must say!
:):D