Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Place that quote! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/27060-place-quote.html)

J.H 06-14-2010 04:26 PM

Is it Full Throttle? No idea why I think this lol.

eriktorbjorn 06-14-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayvio (Post 552046)
we have a winner! there may have been similar jokes in other games, I can't remember but this is the one I was quoting at least

At first, I was going to pick a really easy one:

"What a relief. I was getting concerned that our transportation wasn't ostentatious enough."

But then I saw that game had already been used in this thread several times, so I thought of this one:

"Last version was better. More bugs. Bugs make game fun."

But that's unfair. Some of you probably weren't even born when that game was released, so I ended up with one (slightly reworded to keep it from being obvious) which should be pretty easy:

"I think this Bumpus goon is overcompensating for his lack of stature. And besides, I've got a lot more trophies than he does."

zobraks 06-14-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriktorbjorn (Post 552074)
... I ended up with one (slightly reworded to keep it from being obvious) which should be pretty easy:

"I think this Bumpus goon is overcompensating for his lack of stature. And besides, I've got a lot more trophies than he does."

Hey, that's "Sam & Max Hit the Road" :7:7 (one of my favo(u)rites). You're right: it was easy.

P.S. It would have been a bit tougher if you had omitted Conroy Bumpus. That name was a dead giveaway. :P

eriktorbjorn 06-14-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 552083)
Hey, that's "Sam & Max Hit the Road" :7:7 (one of my favo(u)rites). You're right: it was easy.

P.S. It would have been a bit tougher if you had omitted Conroy Bumpus. That name was a dead giveaway. :P

You're absolutely right. Yes, I could have omitted "Bumpus", but I decided on just leaving out "Sam". Anyway, I figured this thread isn't just about being difficult, it's about celebrating our favorite games, right? :)

In case anyone was wondering, the other two lines were from Grim Fandango ("What a relief...") and Planetfall ("Last version was better..."). Planetfall was a text adventure written by Steve Meretzky and released by Infocom back in 1983.

zobraks 06-15-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriktorbjorn (Post 552087)
... I figured this thread isn't just about being difficult, it's about celebrating our favorite games, right? :)

Right. :)

Who said this:
"Sometimes I wondered if these ancient temples were designed to fall in on themselves at dramatic moments."
:shifty: http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...th_mrgreen.gif

tsa 06-15-2010 01:49 AM

George Stobbard in Broken Sword I?

zobraks 06-15-2010 09:04 AM

No, it's not George and it's not any of the Broken Sword games.
The quote is from another popular adventure.

tsa 06-15-2010 10:41 AM

It was not Tex Murphy, was it?

chal 06-15-2010 11:15 AM

Twist of fate?

zobraks 06-16-2010 01:22 AM

It wasn't Tex Murphy (although the character who said those words was also a square jaw detective ;] :7) and the quote isn't from Twist of Fate.

chal 06-16-2010 01:51 AM

square jaw detective?

Discworld Noir?

zobraks 06-16-2010 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chal (Post 552210)
Discworld Noir?

Sure, that's the ticket! :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chal (Post 552210)
square jaw detective?

Yeah, it's Luton :7 all right:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ticmoments.jpg

chal 06-16-2010 04:57 AM

Alrighty then, this shouldn't be difficult:

"That doesn't need a jawbreaker"

Sik 06-16-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chal (Post 552224)
Alrighty then, this shouldn't be difficult:

"That doesn't need a jawbreaker"

Monkey Island 3 - The Curse of Monkey Island?

Origami 06-16-2010 09:33 AM

*shrugs* no one got mine....

chal 06-16-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sik (Post 552238)
Monkey Island 3 - The Curse of Monkey Island?

Yes!

I remember when playing CMI, I got really stuck and was using that friggin jawbreaker on almost everything and heard that phrase over a zillion times!

Sik 06-16-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chal (Post 552253)
Yes!

I remember when playing CMI, I got really stuck and was using that friggin jawbreaker on almost everything and heard that phrase over a zillion times!

Okay, another easy one then. I'm sure this has been said in several adventure games, but anyone who has played the game I'm thinking of will cringe at:

"That doesn't work."

Roman5 06-16-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Origami (Post 552247)
*shrugs* no one got mine....

Hey yeah, that's true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Origami (Post 552058)
If you played the game this is an easy one:

"Here you go baby, dinner time!"

I've no idea but I thought I'd revive your quote :)

Origami 06-16-2010 02:08 PM

^
Thanks. I am surprised no one got it yet. It shouldn't be too difficult. If you played the game you ought to have that line stuck in your memory somewhere.

DustyShinigami 06-16-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sik (Post 552254)
"That doesn't work."

Simon the Sorcerer?

Roman5 06-16-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sik (Post 552254)
Okay, another easy one then. I'm sure this has been said in several adventure games, but anyone who has played the game I'm thinking of will cringe at:

"That doesn't work."

The first Discworld game? Didn't Rincewind say that a lot?

tsa 06-16-2010 09:21 PM

Aren't there many games in which the protagonist says that?

Gabriel Knight?

Sik 06-16-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman5 (Post 552276)
The first Discworld game? Didn't Rincewind say that a lot?

Yes! The first Discworld game is famous for reusing that quote for all the millions of inventory item combinations that, well, didn't work. I can't read those three words without hearing Eric Idle in my head. As a by the way, there's a feature on it here: "That doesn't work"

Roman5 06-16-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sik (Post 552291)
Yes! The first Discworld game is famous for reusing that quote for all the millions of inventory item combinations that, well, didn't work. I can't read those three words without hearing Eric Idle in my head. As a by the way, there's a feature on it here: "That doesn't work"

Haha, didn't think I'd actually get that right. :) I remember Discworld fondly, loved that game even with all its obscure puzzles. I played it in about 1995 on the sony playstation, one of the few adventures the console had. Ok, I've got to go out, but I'll find a quote later on to post.

zobraks 06-16-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sik (Post 552291)
The first Discworld game is famous for reusing that quote for all the millions of inventory item combinations that, well, didn't work. I can't read those three words without hearing Eric Idle in my head.

You're a million percent right, Sik! Those three words really used to be quite annoying :frusty:. I'm sure I never used the UHS hints so excessively as while playing Discworld. "That doesn't work" was Eric's mantra :pan: :7.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman5 (Post 552297)
I remember Discworld fondly...

You're a masochist, aren't you? :P

Origami 06-16-2010 11:27 PM

zobraks 06-16-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Origami (Post 552300)

Wasn't that "Here you go baby, harassing time!"? http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q..._opanachke.gif

Roman5 06-16-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 552299)
You're a masochist, aren't you? :P

Of course. Combine ladder with stocking to get some totally unrelated solution. I loved it :D

Fien 06-17-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman5 (Post 552304)
Combine ladder with stocking to get some totally unrelated solution. I loved it :D

Me too. It was such a rich and funny game. You could click on every single door and you would get different descriptions for the two sides. I remember Rincewind saying "this must be the door to the dining room, it has got teeth marks all over it". :) And inside the dining room, he said something about running to the toilet (don't remember the exact words). Time for a replay! :9~

Origami 06-17-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 552303)
Wasn't that "Here you go baby, harassing time!"? http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q..._opanachke.gif

No, it definitely was dinner time.
OMG AGCommunity....you should all know the answer.

J.H 06-17-2010 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Origami (Post 552316)
No, it definitely was dinner time.
OMG AGCommunity....you should all know the answer.

On the last page I guessed Full Throttle for this quote, could be very wrong though lol.

Little Writer 06-17-2010 05:57 AM

Mmm, such a line would imply that the person is giving someone (or something) something to eat (no matter whether it's actually edible or not), either in an attempt to kill or to lure the subject away from or to a place.

I really can't think of a single situation, certainly not in connection with "baby" as a way to address the subject. All that springs to mind is feeding the octopus in "Fate of Atlantis", though I highly doubt it's an Indy line.

Origami 06-17-2010 06:20 AM

"Mmm, such a line would imply that the person is giving someone (or something) something to eat (no matter whether it's actually edible or not), either in an attempt to kill or to lure the subject away from or to a place."

Your are correct with the first part. But it was an optional action in the game. Not necessary

Little Writer 06-17-2010 06:27 AM

Ah, if it's optional (and assuming I actually played the game) I probably didn't encounter it. Usually I get too captivated by the storyline, moving a game along by performing all the necessary actions, that I miss out on extra stuff. The new Sam & Max season is a good example of that, missing out on jokes by not trying all dialogue options and using all the toys of power on everything else before doing what's needed. It's not intentional, it just happens that way with me.

Origami 06-17-2010 06:51 AM

But I dunno...this should be an action everyone experimented in the game. All it took was clicking on something/someone. No use of items.

Shany 06-17-2010 08:42 AM

It's not Phantasmagoria 2 or something, is it?

Roman5 06-17-2010 09:47 AM

Ok, here's mine. :)

"Quiet, brother. The walls have ears"

KasiaD 06-17-2010 10:09 AM

Any hints with this dinner quote, Origami? I can only think of Ceville for this one...

The walls have ears - hhmmm maybe black dahlia?

Roman5 06-17-2010 10:34 AM

Not Black Dahlia, sorry.

Origami 06-17-2010 11:57 AM

Okay....here is a hint. The quote is from the protagonist and its directed at his 'best friend'.