You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Telltale to make Back to the Future and Jurassic Park games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #21
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
That said, I agree with those that mentioned rehashing old IP's. People were suggesting Telltale try their hand at something new in another thread and I agree with that. This seems to point towards that almost never happening.
http://www.telltalegames.com/puzzleagent
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #22

Even though it doesn't seem like we'll ever see Telltale to do a (major) original game, I'm happy to see them try something which isn't a light comedy.

Back to the Future can be Day of the Tentacle-esque (and with their current game structure it seems like the sort of franchise Telltale will excel at), but for Jurassic Park they'll need to deliver something dangerous and intense, so it should be interesting.

Look at it this way, if it wasn't Telltale, those guys who make the CSI games could have been given these licenses...

Last edited by MladenL; 06-09-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #23

... Huh.

I... have no idea what to make of this, honestly. I've read and watched a lot of things that made me think "DUDE, this would make an awesome adventure game," but BttF and Jurassic Park... didn't even make the first page of that list. That said, I don't think Telltale has ever produced a sucky game, and I'm sure these'll be fun, it's just... why?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
< Yawn > I am with Dale.

Neither is at all interesting as a subject for games. But thanks for sharing.
They're both phenomenal subjects for games, just maybe not adventure games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenka View Post
"The agreement broadens Telltale's product offerings into new genres and new styles of gameplay."

http://www.telltalegames.com/nbcuni

i guess it won't be an adventure game, maybe not directly
I hope not (not completely). Back to the Future is BEGGING to be made as an open-world driving/skateboarding/hoverboarding romp through Hill Valley in a handful of different time periods. There is certainly a lot of room for adventure game-esque puzzles, but GTA should be the main inspiration here. I mean really, are you going to make a BTTF video game where you can't directly control the DeLorean (and the challenges of getting it up to 88mph with limited road space) or hoverboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
I'm hoping for adventure because the previous non-adventure versions of BttF and Jurassic Park were not so brilliant products.
What does a BTTF NES game made over 20 years ago have to do with the price of tea in China?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #25

im thinking itll be some casual hidden object type game. im sure thats what nbc wants. i'd still be interested in a casual jurassic park game
Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #26
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
What does a BTTF NES game made over 20 years ago have to do with the price of tea in China?
it's more relevant and timely than a series of games made 20 years after the last movie.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #27

Well, I'm in the sceptic camp on this one, though I'm a big fan of BTTF triology. Who knows, maybe this actually turns up good.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #28
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

How could people not be happy about this news? Telltale have already managed to bring two classic adventure game series back onto PCs and consoles - something that didn't seem possible 5 years ago - and now they've been handed two massive pop culture franchises to work with that will get even more mainstream eyes back on the adventure genre. I for one would much prefer a Back to the Future adventure game then wait for the inevitable Sherlock Holmes vs. Frankenstein vs. Zorro and Art of Murder XVII: Holiday Homicide.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
How could people not be happy about this news? Telltale have already managed to bring two classic adventure game series back onto PCs and consoles - something that didn't seem possible 5 years ago - and now they've been handed two massive pop culture franchises to work with that will get even more mainstream eyes back on the adventure genre. I for one would much prefer a Back to the Future adventure game then wait for the inevitable Sherlock Holmes vs. Frankenstein vs. Zorro and Art of Murder XVII: Holiday Homicide.
Those were adventure game series, as you said. If BTTF and JP are made into pure adventure games that's...yikes. I just really hope not, or that they REALLY know what they're doing. Obviously JP can work as a hybrid, already been done with Dino Crisis. BTTF could as well but to a much lesser extent in my opinion...again, driving the DeLorean around and riding hoverboards NEED to be in a BTTF game.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #30

I love Telltale (especially for their Tales of Monkey Island and Wallace & Gromit games) and I was a big fan of both movie franchises when I was a child, so of course this news is very exciting.

But I'm a bit wary because the last mainstream series that Telltale dealt with was CSI, and from what I understand those games (all 3 series) were very mediocre.

So, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #31

I think this is great news. I feel that the hostility toward it is just plain ignorance. Telltale always had changed their style to suit a certain IP. They have done it to all of their games. From Sam & Max to Strong bad to ToMI.

Not to mention, I can see the engine work for these IP's. Judging by the graphical improvements the new Sam and Max episodes received, I wouldn't doubt that they can improve the engine for the needs of B2tF and JP.

My only worry is how they would even go about doing JP. Like what marenka said, they may not even be adventure games.

@DustCropper: I have to disagree about the CSI games being mediocre. They were really good CSI games.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
Ah... yep. Oops, forgot about this one

But now that you mention it, I am looking forward to this one. So see I was right (kind of)! They did need a new IP! Well, to impress me at least.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 06-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
@DustCropper: I have to disagree about the CSI games being mediocre. They were really good CSI games.
I should watch what I say because I haven't played them myself. But I don't remember particularly stellar reviews, especially compared to their other games.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #34
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
I don't know why, but I'm completely underwhelmed by this announcement.
Lol yeah same I don't know why though. Jurassic Park could actually work as a nice adventure game if they added a little more horror/thriller and seriousness to it.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I think this is great news. I feel that the hostility toward it is just plain ignorance. Telltale always had changed their style to suit a certain IP. They have done it to all of their games. From Sam & Max to Strong bad to ToMI.
Telltale's games also are not that great. Generally in the 7's on sites like IGN. To be honest I can only speak personally for Sam & Max S1, which grew very tiresome towards the end with the repetitive locations and long dialogue sequences. I should play some of the other games before passing full judgment, but I don't get the sense that the issues I have with the games are any different in ToMI or W&G for example.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #36

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Someone suggested that it would be a hidden object type game?

Heavens I hope not, I would never purchase another product from them again if they made any game in this format.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
J.H
Frak.

After properly reading the agreement I think that it's safe to say Telltale will no longer be exclusively an adventure games publisher.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #38

Telltale's work has only gotten better, in my opinion atleast. I think this season of Sam & Max is most definitely their strongest so far. I've got no reason to doubt these new games will be anything short of that standard, adventure or otherwise. (Although personally I think Jurassic Park would be better suited to an Uncharted-like action adventure, now there's a game I'd love to play.) I don't have a problem with Telltale potentially moving outside of exclusively making adventures either, as long as they remember their roots. (I'm sure there's been many a lesson learned by the former LucasArts folk. )

I'd like to see more original stuff from them too, but I think that's going to be the beauty of the pilot program. It's also exciting to think what's next for Telltale, considering these IPs are pretty freakin' incredible. A while back there used to be all kinds of threads on Adventure Gamers about what TV show, movie or book you'd like to see as an adventure game. Now some of those suggestions don't seem all that far fetched any more, huh?

Last edited by D.C.; 06-11-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #39
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
Now some of those suggestions don't seem all that far fetched any more, huh?
yeah, FIREFLY/SERENITY!

About those new licenses, I think it's great for Telltale and I don't doubt their capacity of making good use of them. But I admit, that made a bit sad because now I think that with 2 new IPs to work maybe they'll need to divert their efforts from the potential Nelson Tethers series.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #40
Friendly Server Admin

Nelson Tethers is a) not a series and b) releasing before either of those other franchises. That's the whole point of having multiple teams.