You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dark Fall 3 and The Lost Crown.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Default Dark Fall 3 and The Lost Crown.

I recently finished those 2 and i really liked them. I'm looking for something similar to play.

I don't like the silent hill series, i'd like the game to have the same style as these games did, there should be no enemies.

I'd like the game to have at least as intense atmosphere as these games did. The game should be very scary, for example it should have random sounds, have random events.

The game should have a catchy story.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

I don't know about the "catchy story" part, but Scratches and Darkness Within are sort of similar to Dark Fall 3. Also the Last Half of Darkness series, especially Tomb of Zojir
http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/tomb/

Also check these threads
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ead.php?t=6702
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=11366
Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #3

I would also recommend "Scratches" and additionally "Barrow Hill".
These games are similar to Dark Fall 3 and have a quite intense atmosphere.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Scratches would definitely be the one to check out next, that's up there with The Lost Crown as one of the best recent horror games. Darkness Within 1 and 2 aren't as good as some of these other ones being mentioned but if you're really itching for a horror game fix, they could do the job. The Penumbra games are really great too, and while there is a very small amount of action in them, they really are just great horror adventure games at heart.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #5

Thanks! I'll try Scratches.

Is there a soundtrack avaivable for Dark Fall 3 or Lost Crown?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Seriously whats up with newbies' obsession with horror adventure games?

We have been having discussion on horror games for past two weeks now lol

here is the list:

i. Scratches (Its not longer suggestion but an order now)

ii. Dracula 1, 2 & 3

iii. Darkness With (1) ... part-2 I didn't like. Part-1 is not bad to play. You may just enjoy it.

iv. Black Mirror 1 & 2
... its not horror but you get the environment. I have BM-2 but waiting out for my vacation to play in, so I won't comment on it. BM-1 I absolutely loved it, and so did many of the members here.

Let me also inform you that after playing Scratches don't ask for any similar games with everything the same. They don't exist. Same goes for The Lost Crown. The best alternative for The Lost Crown I can give you is BM-1/2 and that is purely one enjoyment level. Otherwise two games are ocean apart.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
The hell of it all

Lost Crown has a soundtrack, it came as part of the digital download from the developers own site. You can get the soundtracks from http://www.shadowtorstudios.co.uk/store.htm which is the sister site run by the developer behind 'Barrow Hill' and the upcoming 'Bracken Tor' which also looks very good!

I can also recommend the 'Pins and Needles' edition of Dark Fall 1 & 2 which comes with a soundtrack, new editions of the games and other great goodies

Playing
Digital - A love story
Very soon - Amnesia!!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1275 View Post
I can also recommend the 'Pins and Needles' edition of Dark Fall 1 & 2 which comes with a soundtrack, new editions of the games and other great goodies
Those soundtracks are very incomplete. A more complete soundtrack for Lights Out is available for free download if you buy the game through GOG.com.

Personally, I don't recommend the 'Pins and Needles' edition at all, unless you're someone who likes owning collectibles for its own sake. I found the directors cut of Lights Out to be highly unsatisfactory. There were a few improvements but also some very contentious judgement calls on changes from the original version.

Scratches I found to be far from indispensible. It's very likely the most overrated adventure game I have played. It wasn't bad but very little about it was prticularly memorable. In fact the thing that stays in my memory most about it is spending five minutes searching for a door handle because the game locations were far too dark or endlessly getting turned around in passages, again because the scenes were inadequately lit. There's creepy, shadowy atmosphere and then there's just annoying.

I saw on a thread recently that there's a secret alternative ending that involves Michael Arthate going mad. Well, I haven't seen it but I can say that i already had my own experience of going mad playing that game witht he endless aimless wandering and calls to Jerry. Seriously, if I was playing Who Wants to be a Millionaire i'd be happy to solve my problems by 'phoning a friend' but when that is the solution to every other puzzle in an adventure game i'm less patient.

So nah, far too many gameplay 'quirks' and ludicrous graphic design (ie next to no visibility of the game world) in that game for me.

Last edited by cbman; 06-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #9

Scratches is my favourite game, try it, it's amazing.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Scratches I found to be far from indispensible. It's very likely the most overrated adventure game I have played. It wasn't bad but very little about it was prticularly memorable. In fact the thing that stays in my memory most about it is spending five minutes searching for a door handle because the game locations were far too dark or endlessly getting turned around in passages, again because the scenes were inadequately lit. There's creepy, shadowy atmosphere and then there's just annoying.
I thought I´d be the only one on this board who thinks that way.
Scratches may not be the most overrated adventure game but it definately is ... well, overrated.

Except for the first dream sequence, THE shocker and the ending there isn´t much I remember either, apart from clicking through all the locations again and again and again.
What irked me the most was probably that there practically is no interaction with other characters.
If a game decides to do without NPC´s then please make the gameplay and story itself more suspenseful and dense. The scenery was nice to look at but not as atmospheric as I hoped it would be.

I was bored most of the time. Hopefully Augustin´s next project is going to be better.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #11

"Scratches"... While I was dissapointed with the graphic and clumsy navigation and interface, I still must say that this is the game that gave me the biggest scares (although I haven't played many games of this type so far).
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III