You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which Game Has Left You Disappointed The Most

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #41
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotta von uberwald View Post
... what you guys think is the worst game you've been disappointed by? either sequel or orignal.
Midnight Nowhere is (by the greatest margin) THE WORST adventure I have played and the worst disappointment (and I am not an easy disappointing person ) I have experienced in playing AGs (since the game had been hyped as "cult", "highly original", "cool", "unique", "thrilling" which couldn't be further from the truth). This game is confusing, buggy, unoriginal (better play "Sanitarium" instead), stupid... you name it.

Last edited by zobraks; 06-03-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: wrong title, folks!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #42

Broken Sword: Angel of Death
I absolutely love the Broken Sword games, therefore I was so enormously disappointed about that game - my heart really ached.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #43

I almost forgot
Runaway 2. or should I say, the first half of Runaway 2 because there is no way that should be called a full game. cliffhangers are one thing but at least SOME of the plot points should be resolved in the first game
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #44
Life and times of...

Oh, Dreamfall was quite a disappointment. Mediocre graphics at best for something that was basically a semi-interactive story... I guess the story was fine (but nothing too great, especially compared to The Longest Journey) but all in all just left a very bland impression (and of course leaves the story completely open).

Especially the comparison with TLJ made it so disappointing. Not as big a disappointment as Paradise for example, but still...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #45
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
The Moment of Silence is (by the greatest margin) THE WORST adventure I have played and the worst disappointment (and I am not an easy disappointing person ) I have experienced in playing AGs (since the game had been hyped as "cult", "highly original", "cool", "unique", "thrilling" which couldn't be further from the truth). This game is confusing, buggy, unoriginal (better play "Sanitarium" instead), stupid... you name it.
Yeah I was recommended this as I was really into conspiracy type adventure games at the time of purchasing it. I got less than a quarter way through and just gave up, the whole things is as stiff as a board and very clunky.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #46
Senior Passer-by

Oops, I made a huge mistake by accusing The Moment of Silence to be the biggest disappointment for me . I meant Midnight Nowhere actually.

Sorry.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #47

I found Dreamfall a disappointment, too. All of the stealth sequences became so boring and tedious that I had to give up on it. This after I had anxiously awaited its release.

I had hoped that Paradise would have been at least enjoyable, but all of the bugs were overwhelming and the ending fell flat on its face. More than once I had to edit a save game just to get past yet another bug in the game.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #48

Jack Keane

I was excited for this game because it was a cartoony game which I have not seen in a while. Turned out to be the least humorous and boring games I have ever played. It is now sitting on my shelf, collecting dust.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #49

-Runaway
That game felt so cheap and I really couldn't get into it. I stopped playing after the first chapter.

-FBI Confidential 2: The puppeteer something

Has bad gameplay design and lost my interest.

-Dracula Origins

One of the biggest dissapointments with the weakest ending ever.
Started out so cool with you having to deduce Dracula's location from article clippings. But then...I dunno...it became so dull
Old 06-04-2010, 05:00 AM   #50

Although i really like Dreamfall and it has undoubtedly a good story, i found it a bit disappointing when i first played it, mainly because of the terrible controls and action sequences.

The Dig is an ok game but i only played it last year and i found it too boring and puzzle focused.

Still Life 2 was easily my biggest disappoitment, awful sequel to one of my all time favourits.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #51

Wow! So glad I didn't play SL2! Thanks guys!

However I did play:

Broken Sword - The Angel of Death
Waited for it for 3 years, got a new laptop just so I could play it and guess what? Story is a cheap DaVinchi code ripoff, Graphics look very bland, and dialogues and characters are as flat as possible! Why couldn't they just get Steve Ince? Then it would've been at least okay. (but probably great)

Memento Mori
Starts of okay but soon becomes huge esoterical/horror crap without any real ending. Not even the gory scenes could get me the least bit edgy while the scene at the St Stefan's Chapter in BS3 wich wasn't even half as graphic got me truly shocked.

Dracula Origin
Higly anticipated by me but sucked in all respects. Story didn't make any sense or even seemed to go anywhere. Really confusing ending. Graphics were very poor, cutscenes even worse. And probably the worst writing I've seen in along time. Acting wasn't all thet great either. In the end I ended up on the couch watching Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula for the tenth time wishing it would've been like that.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #52
tsa
Playing character

Paradise was absolutely the worst game I ever tried to play. It was buggier than any game I've encountered, and on top of that the protagonist was the least likeable girl imaginable. Eventually I found myself trying to hurt her; it was that bad. Luckily she walked off the screen somewhere, never to come back (yet another bug), leaving me leaning backwards in my seat and smiling happily.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
Sam and Max: Season 1. As a kid/teen, I loved loved loved the original comics and Hit the Road. The humor in the Telltale games doesn't seem the same as the original comics and game, and I barely let out a chuckle on a couple occasions. Of course, I never played Season 2, so maybe things changed...
I have to agree. They simply weren't funny. I was all hyped for these and lobbied heavily for them to come to XBLA on this and other forums, but once they got there I realized what I'd been missing....mediocre, buggy junk that wasn't really all that funny. Plus Telltale's Sam & Max are amongst the few
games ever that I've felt were fundamentally broken in terms of gameplay dynamics (or rather a complete lack thereof). I kind of expected the whole world to break apart at any moment and the characters to fall off the screen into a void of broken code....and not because it was written that way (ala one of the scenes in Conkers) but rather because the engine was built so poorly and completely lacked any true gameplay other than walking from one dialog set piece to another.

I expected better with Season 2, but was turned off immediately by the only slightly-veiled implication that Telltale thinks conservatives should be murdered (the whole goldfish/fox news sequence of comments) so I lost all interest in supporting them financially.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
Sam and Max: Season 1. As a kid/teen, I loved loved loved the original comics and Hit the Road. The humor in the Telltale games doesn't seem the same as the original comics and game, and I barely let out a chuckle on a couple occasions. Of course, I never played Season 2, so maybe things changed...
I second this (or third?). And I also very much second Midnight Nowhere zobraks, that game was so bad. I never bothered getting beyond the first room because the protagonist was just flat out arrogant and obnoxious. I had no interest in helping him go any further.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #55

Dreamfall

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 06-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #56
I changed my title

Nibiru - Reading the back of the box, it sounds like the most interesting game ever: mayans, aliens, murders, nazis and the secret of eternal life. Then you play the game and, although all of these things show up, the protagonist barely cares about them. He's too busy bringing people hotdogs, getting into bars and making rats explode.

Most of Return to Mysterious Island - It starts out very well, with finding and making food and other interesting survival puzzles. Then the puzzles start getting confusing with having to make chemical solutions. And in the end the game gives up on inventory puzzles almost entirely, instead switching to mechanical puzzles and confusing trivia questions.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #57
Schattenjäger

Sam & Max Season 1.
Hit the Road is my most played adventure and is a special game to me. But I just hated the characters in Season 1, the locales.. the writing was funny but not quite as good.

The Dig.
I think this game is absolutely amazing in terms of its ambience, graphics, voice acting etc. But the puzzle side focus just made things too difficult.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #58
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
Nibiru - Reading the back of the box, it sounds like the most interesting game ever: mayans, aliens, murders, nazis and the secret of eternal life. Then you play the game and, although all of these things show up, the protagonist barely cares about them. He's too busy bringing people hotdogs, getting into bars and making rats explode.
I'd have to agree with this fully, any corpse that he finds he's like "How did this get here?" not "Omg omg omg a dead body in a locker!"

Had great potential, I never completed it though the hot dog puzzle made me uninstall lol.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
I expected better with Season 2, but was turned off immediately by the only slightly-veiled implication that Telltale thinks conservatives should be murdered (the whole goldfish/fox news sequence of comments) so I lost all interest in supporting them financially.
LOL, you crack me up little Bill O'Reilly! Conservapedia level comedy gold.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #60
Sik

I'll have to second Still Life 2. I'd probably rate the first game as one of my top 5 adventure game experiences. I was beyond excited when they announced a sequel after I'd given up on ever seeing a conclusion. I was skeptical when I saw early screen shots, but figured it couldn't be *that* bad. It finally got released, I played the demo... and suddenly didn't care about getting the answers left out of the first game anymore. I'd rather pretend Still Life ended with the first game than drag myself through the sequel.

Oh, and no one mentioned Overclocked, so I'll have to toss that in here as well. My first impressions including great screen shots, trailers and favorable reviews led me to believe it would be an atmospheric thriller. It turned out this was true, but all it had was good graphics and atmosphere. The actual gameplay, which sounded innovative on paper, was the worst example of a "find-the-hidden-trigger" meta-game I've ever experienced. I never felt like I was doing psychoanalysis, or even playing a game. Heck, there wasn't even any thinking involved, just a long series of actions that had to be carried out in the exact sequence thought out by the developers to finish the game. I could easily have excused the boring game play if there was an interesting story to go with the great visuals and atmosphere, but unfortunately the story was as bland as they get