You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Why we really should consider buying Syberia 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 09:10 AM   #1

Default Why we really should consider buying Syberia 2

hi

First of all, i haven't played Syberia 2 yet but i will buy it the day it comes out here in Belgium.

I think everyone who loves to play adventure games should really consider buying Syberia2.

Why? Well, it is no secret that adventure games isn't a popular games genre anymore for a long time (see what happened to Sam and Max 2 for example). Not a lot of companies still make adventure games anymore.

So should we buy adventures just out of support, regardless of the quality of the game...no! I don't and nobody should.

However, one can't deny that Microïds have a good thing going with their adventures. Visually and music wise, adventure games can't really get any better. I'm sure nearly everyone can agree with that. Cutscenes are amongst the best seen in any game...interface is good, dynamic light effects... This really is quality work rarely seen these days.

Some say: "the story isn't good or the puzzles aren't that good". If you really feel that way, than it must be true for you. But this is something that Microïds can and will learn with every new game they make and with a lot of feedback from us!

So what i'm trying to say: please consider buying Syberia2 to support this promising game company. The talent is there and i do feel that they have everything to make some real classics. In short, Microïds has a good thing going...quality adventure games. With support, maybe the team can be expanded, bringing on more story tellers,...

I think it really is promising and worth supporting. And in any case, you will have bought a good game.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Amiga, has it occurred to you that maybe this game just doesn't appeal to some people?

I played both Syberia demo's, and to be honest neither one really did anything for me. When it come to adventure games, I do like pretty graphics, and music, and story. I also like to do lots of stuff, which, going by the demo's, these games do not seem to offer a whole lot of.

I'll probably buy these games when I see them at a knock down price, but at the moment I'm not going to because I don't think they would satisfy my own adventure gaming needs.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:44 AM   #3

@The Seed:

Ofcourse. The title for the topic said 'consider buying'. I am aiming more at people who aren't really sure.

What i was trying to say was: i think Microïds has something good going. They are amongst the best in present time. And they can and will get better. I also had some negative things about Syberia, but i still find it amongst the best adventure games released in the last years.

Things like 'more interaction' and 'more going on in the background' are all things that they will get better at with every new adventure they make (experience). So maybe one day they will release a game that you like In the meantime, i hope their games sell enough for them to continue their path to fantastic adventures and keep investing in our much beloved genre.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:57 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga
Things like 'more interaction' and 'more going on in the background' are all things that they will get better at with every new adventure they make (experience). So maybe one day they will release a game that you like In the meantime, i hope their games sell enough for them to continue their path to fantastic adventures and keep investing in our much beloved genre.
Sorry if I seemed to come over a bit aggressive there, it was not my intent, also I didn't realise it was you're first post (welcome).

You may well have a point about Microids having the potential to become a big player in the future of adventure games, they sold a bunch with the first Syberia game so they'd be crazy to stop there. It will be interesting to see what they come up with after the Syberia series is done and dusted.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
Banned User

I'd just like to add that I absolutely loved the Microids/Benoit Sokal game Amerzone. Much more than Syberia, in fact. An absolute gem.

On the other hand, Microids has also given us Druuna and The Messenger, which were both almost universally panned and Post Mortem, which received wildly mixed reviews.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

In other words: The good adventure games from Microids have been made by Benoit Sokal.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
Munior Jember

Although I will buy Syberia 2, I'm not worried about Microids finances. You know, they're planning on moving to making CG movies as well:
http://www.raph.com/3dartists/jobcen...vjo.php?id=357

So they don't plan on leaning 100% on adventure games for the survival of the company.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
After 2 years...

Quote:
Why we really should consider buying Syberia 2
...mmm....because it rocks?

or maybe because its predecessor rocked and we need to find how it ends?

you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 03-31-2004, 10:56 AM   #9
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
In other words: The good adventure games from Microids have been made by Benoit Sokal.
Druuna was from an italian developer, if i remember well. And, apart from the Messenger (which I didn't play), Road to India's only fault was that it was a bit short. Benoit Sokal is a great graphic designer, yes. But his games... for me... they lack lots of soul.

Risingson
Old 03-31-2004, 11:40 AM   #10
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I didn't like Road to India very much, I though it rather boring, because I didn't at all care for the story of the game.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 03-31-2004, 11:49 AM   #11
Banned User

Road to India is another title that got widely mixed reviews.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:34 PM   #12
BigRobot

While I'm all for supporting the cause, I truly didn't like Syberia.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:21 PM   #13
Bearly Here

Druuna, was developed by Artematica
Old 03-31-2004, 02:34 PM   #14
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I loved Syberia and Amerzone, and I'm playing Syberia II now - it is gorgeous, and more of the same as S-1 but even better, so far. There are more NPC's, more action on the screen at any given moment, and the music is wonderful. I'm finding it better than either demo. Kate shows a wistful, more child-like side of herself in this - she seems more real. I'm about 1/3 through and so far it has been pure delight.

FGM
Old 03-31-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
merely human

I'll buy a new game from any company whose past titles I absolutely liked, thus establishing a reputation of them with me as a company that consistently produces titles I like and that meet my criteria. That said, it's inevitable I'll buy Syberia II because I loved the first one, but that doesn't mean I'm getting it solely because it's from Microids. Sokal could, for example, switch his loyalty to TAC, produce Syberia II, and I would still buy it (reviews pending, of course). I think it's a shifting matter of a publisher having the edge for snagging very good developers. It that were the case and Microids had this edge I'd be looking in their direction a lot more.

The Messenger

BTW, I've played The Messenger and though I found it had its share of serious flaws and inconsistencies, it's not that bad. The story and atmosphere are pretty good, the sound is excellent. If anyone's interested, I wrote a review of it for Epinions: Have crossbow, will travel (back in time, that is)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-31-2004, 04:17 PM   #16
peb
Colossal

Sokal's already left Microids (link) so we'll see what Microids and Sokal can do individually.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peb
Sokal's already left Microids (link) so we'll see what Microids and Sokal can do individually.
Interesting.. Has anyone got some info on this upcoming AG, Lost Paradise? Hearing the description though,.. it sounds extremely familiar; (young woman crossing an entire continent for no apparent reason.)

Quote:
The first project from White Birds Productions, Lost Paradise is an adventure game which immerses the player in the heart of Africa, at once eternal and terribly contemporary. A young woman, the daughter of a fierce dictator, crosses the continent in the company of a leopard, to take him to the place of his birth, the peaks of Kilimanjaro.
Ofcourse, think Africa instead of Siberia, leopard instead of Hans Voralberg and camels instead of trains!

Sokal goes Carribean
Old 03-31-2004, 05:28 PM   #18

The topic of this thread disturbs me. Relatively speaking, I really don't post that much, and am not really part of the Adventure Gamers community, so I don't know. Was there some official agreement between all the AG forum posters at some point that no one would buy Syberia 2? Like some kind of weird, misplaced ethical stance of some kind?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Horse
The topic of this thread disturbs me. Relatively speaking, I really don't post that much, and am not really part of the Adventure Gamers community, so I don't know. Was there some official agreement between all the AG forum posters at some point that no one would buy Syberia 2? Like some kind of weird, misplaced ethical stance of some kind?
That's what I thought (and/or think)

I don't know whether amiga is implying Syberia 2 is bad, or that he thinks we shouldn't buy it out of mere support for the genre, or.. I don't think he's saying anything at all! But a Syberia 2 thread never hurt anyone, anyhow
Old 03-31-2004, 07:39 PM   #20
Dr Uberman

Your username rocks.