You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword: DC for iPad HD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default Broken Sword: DC for iPad HD

Available now.

Hopefully, not long after this, we'll get a PC/Mac version, then I hope Revolution start focusing on a new IP.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-26-2010, 03:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
then I hope Revolution start focusing on a new IP.
Haha exactly. Well, I played the Wii version. Cool. New IP, I welcome with big warm inviting arms!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-26-2010, 04:42 AM   #3

I own the PC, Wii and DS versions now, and the iPad isn't available here yet, but cool nonetheless.

According to Tony W at Rev, they are indeed working on new IPs -- a portable non-adventure, and a new adventure. Who knows if they'll both come to fruition. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

iPad HD means increased quality in art? :O I can only think about compared to MI1:SE (in HD!)

*drool*

Then let's hope it gets on PC soon too. I lost my Wii-cable.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
J.H
Frak.

I played it on the DS and was slightly disappointed, half way through the DC version just becomes the normal version.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H View Post
I played it on the DS and was slightly disappointed, half way through the DC version just becomes the normal version.
Yeah and in fact, from the little I played of the DS version it seems even better than the Wii version which is what I played - at least with the split screen thing showing 2 events at once was very interesting. But with the Wii game yeah I had the same thing, just became about replaying good ol' Broken Sword but with a longer ending. I was a bit rusty on the story but the whole thing with
Spoiler:
Nico's father and the photograph
didn't seem to fit in right somehow? I'm probably wrong, it just didn't seem right when I played it...

Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Yeah and in fact, from the little I played of the DS version it seems even better than the Wii version which is what I played - at least with the split screen thing showing 2 events at once was very interesting. But with the Wii game yeah I had the same thing, just became about replaying good ol' Broken Sword but with a longer ending. I was a bit rusty on the story but the whole thing with
Spoiler:
Nico's father and the photograph
didn't seem to fit in right somehow? I'm probably wrong, it just didn't seem right when I played it...
No I agree, the stuff with
Spoiler:
Nico's father
didn't make any sense and didn't influence the story later on, or resurface in any way. Very disappointing.

I also found that the character portraits in the DS version were almost comical, it made the game feel less serious to me. Georges portrait looked the worse IMO.

This, to me will always be George Stobbart

But I'm unsure who this guy is,
Old 05-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #8

I thought the game was more engaging with the portraits. Seeing the character's facial expressions during conversations added a layer of intimacy that wasn't present in the original.

The portraits definitely have a more American, comic book style which is in stark contrast with the original's distinctly European look. I don't think the combination looked bad, but I can understand people not liking it.

J.H, the examples you give of George look like the same person to me, just illustrated in different styles. Personally, I've always thought that the animation in the original cinematics looked kind of weird and the characters sort of ugly. So for me it was cool to see the split screen stuff that combined the two styles.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H View Post
This, to me will always be George Stobbart

But I'm unsure who this guy is,
Haha! No, I see what orient is saying but I do agree here. I don't think it's wise to mix up different styles in the same game. The portraits were a great feature, but disconnecting in how mixed the looks were. Seemed to draw attention to it being an extra feature laid over the old.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #10

Well I've played the iPhone version and it's probably the best adventure game in Appstore. It's use of the touchscreen is excellent and pretty intuitive, so this can only work better on the iPad, where the screen should be less cluttered.
The new puzzles are fun to solve, but it's true that the game becames the old one half way through. Also some puzzles are simplified and some useless hotspots are removed, so you can basically interact only with items you need to interect with. This makes the game much easier wich can dilute the experience if you already played the regular one.
However, if you are planning a replay or you have never played the game before (and you own an iPad) this is probably a must buy.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #11

I doubt they really re-did the graphics for this. They probably just used some filtering tricks to get the graphics to scale up.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #12

I've played both the gameboy version and the DS version and in my opinion gameboy is the best. The directors cut's extra material really adds nothing but takes away something.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #13

There's a PC version of the DC!?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
I needed a dare

Not yet but they are working on it. Or at least they were working on it
Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Not yet but they are working on it. Or at least they were working on it
Really? I would be very happy if that happens. Though I agree that nothing can cast a shadow on the original, sometimes I really enjoy seeing one of the games I really liked in the new outfit. "The Secret of Monkey Island SE" first comes to mind. I'm really looking foward to the "Le Chuck's Revenge SE" aswell. And outside the genre, I first think of "Tomb Raider: Anniversary" which IMO outshines the original, but at the same time, it celebrates it's value. Though I haven't played it, I suppose this could also be the case with DC version of Broken Sword.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85 View Post
iPad HD means increased quality in art? :O I can only think about compared to MI1:SE (in HD!)
You mean normal definition on the PC and 360? lol Not hard to imagine what MI1:SE will look like.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #17

I have the Wii version of the game and it's absolutely gorgeous. They HAVE to make a PC version with HD graphics and other goodies
Old 06-25-2010, 03:02 AM   #18
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
They HAVE to make a PC version with HD graphics and other goodies
HD is unlikely, I think, as Tony mentioned that if the games were ever released on XBLA or PSN, they'd have to rescale the graphics (something like that, anyway) to HD quality, which would cost more. I think they're just increasing the overall screen resolution from the original 640x480.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour