You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Next BIG Thing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Roman5

Default The Next BIG Thing

Are you aware of this new upcoming game from Pendulo studios? Looks good, just like Runaway.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/4/16/news/73719/

Btw, in Runaway Twist of Fate, did anyone manage to get fullscreen above the default resolution of 1280 x 720? I can increase my resolution editing the config file, but it windows the screen which becomes pretty small.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
J.H
Frak.

Kinda bored of comedy games at the moment but the visuals looks great.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5 View Post
Are you aware of this new upcoming game from Pendulo studios? Looks good, just like Runaway.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/4/16/news/73719/
Yes ... the words been out for little while now. I am not much excited about it since I am not a big fan on runaway series. Although I did really enjoy Twist of Fate but the game was just too short. Plus the series has poor humor. Nevertheless, I would play it if it succeeds in securing 3.5/5 rating.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Roman5

Everyone says Twist of Fate is too short. How short are we talking here? Much shorter than dream of the turtle? For instance, if it was about the same length as So Blonde (I use this example because it's also cartoony), that would be fine for me, or is it much much shorter than that?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Length is subjective, but it didn't feel "too short" to me. I finished it in 3-4 days, playing for several hours each of those days. By comparison I never even finished Dream of the Turtle, which I found to be boring and tedious and not fun. I'll take a fun "short" game over a longer boring one any day.

Quote:
Btw, in Runaway Twist of Fate, did anyone manage to get fullscreen above the default resolution of 1280 x 720? I can increase my resolution editing the config file, but it windows the screen which becomes pretty small.
That's as high as it goes. The graphics are prerendered, so they can't scale up to whatever your resolution is set to, the way real time 3D graphics would be able to.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Banned User

Send a message via ICQ to HELPME9999

Doesn't look that special for a game with "The Next BIG Thing" as the title.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #7

Wow, so much criticism! Well, I for one am excited over this announcement and look forward to what new IP the developer has to offer after Runaway.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #8

IMHO, it looks awsome, just like Runaway games. Pendulo Studios has one of the most recognizable graphic styles among the adventure developers. I have no doubt that I'm going to play the game when it comes out. I expect it will be fun experience (like Runaway).
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #9

Looks like The Next Big Thing will be released this November via Crimson Cow:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003X6U1SO
Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the news! I'm looking forward to it.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I can't wait to try it... Twist of Fate was my favourite of the Runaway series...
Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Under pressure.

I'm going to get this, even though I'm still lagging behind on the Runaway series. I still have to finish The Dream of the Turtle!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #13

Funny so many people think Twist of Fate was the best. Honestly I thought the game was very lackluster. I mean the graphics were still beautiful and the puzzles still amusingly absurd but it just didn't feel like Runaway. Not only did they skip through a huge amount of story (how I would've loved to play the whole Mala Island sequence) but also it didn't wrap up the events of Runaway 2 to a acceptable level. Even worse Joshua has been degraded to some sidejoke and there's no explanation whatsoever of what happened to Sushi and her gang. This I find intollorable. I think a Runaway game can do without Gina but not without Joshua, Sushi and the rest. Honestly if they wanted to tell this story they should've been more patient and first wrap up the events of Runaway 2 properly then make Twist of Fate the fourth game because this way it was just ludicrously bad!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #14

I still haven't gotten round to playing Runaway 3 yet but I was very disapointed in the second and refuse to even consider it a full game. I'll agree on Gina though, to be honest I was never too fond of her in the first game
Spoiler:
what with her being a compulsive liar, thief and all round untrustworthy manipulator
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
I still haven't gotten round to playing Runaway 3 yet but I was very disapointed in the second and refuse to even consider it a full game. I'll agree on Gina though, to be honest I was never too fond of her in the first game
Spoiler:
what with her being a compulsive liar, thief and all round untrustworthy manipulator
That, I actually thought was a very funny and new concept. I merely refered to the fact that Joshua and Sushi and co featured much more than Gina in the first two games.

PS: Bet you didn't like Pirates of the Carabean 2 either than?
Old 08-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #16

the cliffhanger annoyed me in that too
I don't mind small cliffhangers, and I can (just) tolerate the infamous Dreamfall cliffhanger because as Tournquist points out, the game did resolve the Faith storyline at least, but when it ends in a "yeah we just decided to end it here even though it offers zero closure, guess you got to cough up for the sequel in a couple of years" it gets irritating. especially in Runaway 2's case where so much of the game felt like filler anyway
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 08-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
the cliffhanger annoyed me in that too
I don't mind small cliffhangers, and I can (just) tolerate the infamous Dreamfall cliffhanger because as Tournquist points out, the game did resolve the Faith storyline at least, but when it ends in a "yeah we just decided to end it here even though it offers zero closure, guess you got to cough up for the sequel in a couple of years" it gets irritating. especially in Runaway 2's case where so much of the game felt like filler anyway
For me only the last chapter wich I decided was something of a tribute to Monkey Island. Personally I loved the cliffhanger but they should've just continued the story from there instead of coming up with a whole new story that only hardly ties back to the main storyline leaving plotholes the size of mooncraters
Old 08-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #18

I never tried the Runaway series but I am looking forward to The Next BIG Thing, if only because the early screenshots currently available look superb. Actually, I just read AG's review of A Twist of Fate and am now considering a purchase. That, and perhaps the original as well, since many of you consider it a classic.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #19

Twist of Fate for me was a very good game......i liked it more than Dream of the Turtle.I'll agree with you guys on the whole joshua/sushi thing as I wanted to see more of them as anyone would.But,I had a very nice feeling as I was playing it.And to tell you the truth I liked Joshua in the curator/programmer/get the snake out of the hole guy.Also you have to love the Groucho Marx actor.That was one of my favorites in the game.

Anyway,I think the next big thing is gonna be good.After all it has the same beautiful graphics and animations.It has a film noir kind of theme which is very nice.There's really not so much to give a better defense on it but i definitely like the setting and feel of the world they are trying to make.

PS:I'm a huge fan of cartoony graphics so I'll pretty much play anything as long as its in that category and the graphics are hand drawn and good.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
Sierra gamer

Hi

In AyC you can find an article on 'the next big thing', the new game of Pendulo Studios

And more screenshots