You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Slip Space: The Burma-Shave Analogy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Easily amused

Default Slip Space: The Burma-Shave Analogy

I'd just like to draw some attention to this gem of a game. I'm playing it right now, and I am loving the challenges and the quirky story.
As an indie game, the graphics are basic, but the expression of color, shape and imagination more than makes up for it. The puzzles are the main attraction for me - logical and fun to work out - so if you like a challenge, this game is for you. You play an agent of the Strategic Intellegence Alliance. You are sent to pin down the location of an advertising building that keeps popping up around the country. There is no dialogue, but there are cut scenes (very psychedelic I might add) that move the story along. It has a sort of Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe feel, there's quite a lot of humor in the game (and on the website ).
You will like this game if you liked Rhem, Chaos a Fantasy Adventure, and Obsidian.
Here's the AG link for the game. There is a demo available.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=1573

Last edited by colpet; 05-24-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Lazy Bee

I've read about Slip Space and I definitely think I'll check it out. I know sooner or later that urge to really have a go at a bunch of logic puzzles comes over me. And most of the time the games Colpet likes are games I enjoy too.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #3

Ah, finally some rubber-tree-plant... high hopes! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm in.

Hopefully it'll wash the dreck of Black Mirror II ("The Tedium") away.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Easily amused

I realise that the review at AG was less than stellar, so I thought that hearing from someone who really enjoys this kind of game would give another point of view.
I have just finished the game, and give it a 4/5, and only then because of the graphics. Given the lower budget, Dan uses imagination and artistic design to overcome the lack of bells and whistles.
The puzzles are excellent - very fair yet a good challenge, especially for those of you that like applied math. The story is basic and the concept of 'slip-space' is explained in the cut scene narratives using the infamous Burma Shave signage advertisments. There is a lot of sarcastic humor at the expense of the Strategic Intellegence Alliance, a bureaucratic institution reminiscent of the 'cube' area from Obsidian. The SIA would have you believe that Webster Wotsletter and his 5 sons are subversive, but you will discover the truth as you progress through the game.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #5

I've still only played the demo, but I really liked that little taste! Now that I've finished In Cubation (thanks for the tip on that as well colpet), I'll probably be getting into Slip Space proper...
Old 07-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Easily amused

Hey Lana. Got your PM but can't send reply. You may need to change your settings.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Myst-loving person

This game looked really good. I hope to play it later on this summer.

I realize the reviews were less-than-glowing, but the negatives they gave made me think I would probably like it anyway.