You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Suggest a game for me to play

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Default Suggest a game for me to play

Hello,

I would like some suggestions of a good mystery adventure game to play. I haven't played too many so any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Bon
The Tentacle

The best - The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: Rose Tattoo... Serrated Scalpel and Secret of the Silver Earring are good too. I also like a lot of CSI games, but there's way too many pixel hunting. And you could try Discworld Noir, it's a comedy, but there's still enough mystery in it.. and it's a great game.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #3

I own Discword 2 and Discworld Noir but I haven't played them. Had a hard time getting Noir to work on XP but it's been years since I've tried.

What do you think of the Secret Files games, or The Moment of Silence?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

I just finished Secret Files: Tunguska and it was solid. I got it from Adventure Collection volume one, which is a very worthy purchase for the price.
http://www.adventurecompanygames.com/adventurecollection_v1/index.php
Old 05-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

Yeah Secret Files is great! Both 1 and 2 (though 1 a little bit better)

Also someone suggested SH: Case/Secret of the Silver Earring, i completely second that. Also in the same series: The Awakened, SH vs Arsene Lupin/Nemesis and SH vs Jack the Ripper and there's a new title coming up as well : Testament of SH!

Really lot of fun

Also great mystery game: The Last Express(sorry Fien, beat you to it)

And if by mystery you mean thriller as well I can recommend Still Life (just don't play the sequal)

Overclocked's also a really good one

And if by mystery you mean ancient mysteries that will rise again and will bring the world on the brink of damnation you should definetely try your hand on Broken Sword (if you haven't done so allready) Secret Files also falls in that category by the way. Secrets of Atlantis is also a good one.

Oh and Art of Murder is an okay thriller series and of course the significantly better Chronicles of Mystery series wich is a Broken Sword/Secret Files kind of mystery series. The first's pretty good untill you reach the ending but the second one's definitely worth a try

Then there's the Blackwell indie series, paranormal surrealistic noir mysteries with really great writing

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Really you want a good mystery game? I can give you hundreds!

Last edited by gray pierce; 05-09-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #6

Broken Sword is one of my all time favorite games, I am currently playing Broken Sword 2 but I'm not really captivated by it at all.

My favorite adventure-ish game is probably Dreamfall, it just grabbed my attention early in the game and kept me hooked. I have only played an hour or so of the Longest Journey, but I hear that it is suppose to be really good.

I would say the key aspect in the enjoyment of an adventure game for me is the story. I think that is why Broken Sword 2 is losing my attention.

In terms of overall story what would you suggest? I do like murder mysteries as well and I did play Still Life and it held my attention to the very end!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryfades View Post
Broken Sword is one of my all time favorite games, I am currently playing Broken Sword 2 but I'm not really captivated by it at all.

My favorite adventure-ish game is probably Dreamfall, it just grabbed my attention early in the game and kept me hooked. I have only played an hour or so of the Longest Journey, but I hear that it is suppose to be really good.

I would say the key aspect in the enjoyment of an adventure game for me is the story. I think that is why Broken Sword 2 is losing my attention.

In terms of overall story what would you suggest? I do like murder mysteries as well and I did play Still Life and it held my attention to the very end!
The Last Express! Go run, buy, knock on doors, kill people if you have to but go get The Last Express. Storywise it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Next best things: Overclocked, SH: Secret of the Silver Earring and SH vs Jack the Ripper

Also have you tried the Gabriel Knight series?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #8

Is the Last Express available anywhere as a digital download purchase? If not looks like Amazon has some copies

I have played Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. That is another game that had me on the edge of my seat until the very end! The atmosphere of that game was just astounding, it caused me to become fascinated with New Orleans at the time.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Stalker of Britain

"The Lost Crown" has a wonderful mystery going on through it.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
Bon
The Tentacle

Discworld 2 is also a great game, but it doesn't have much (if any) mystery in it... Besides, in Discworld (usually) the humor is what's important, not the story. Noir is an expection, and it's my favourite adventure. Enough said.

I thought Secret Files 1 sucks when it comes to story, dialogues, etc. It's nowhere near Broken Sword. Not much of a mystery too, if you ask me.

I didn't like much any Sherlock Holmes games after Secret of the Silver Earring, sure, stories are all right, but the gameplay turned me off.

I agree with gray pierce regarding Overclocked (although it's definitely not one of the best stories out there) and Blackwell. You could also try Emerald City Confidential, great story and dialogue during the first part of the game. I think there are a lot of FMV detective games, but I haven't played any, so...

Now, if it's a story (not necessarily a mystery) you're after, do yourself a favor, and buy The Moment of Silence. It's kind of a political thriller, and it's vastly unappreciated.

Btw, not many people will agree, but I recently finished Still Life, and I think it's totally amateurish.. IE, no FBI agent would behave like Victoria does, and no American would talk like they do in SL. But, it's got a great atmosphere (not the story though, mind you). Post Mortem is better (not overall), so there's another recommendation.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryfades View Post
Hello,

I would like some suggestions of a good mystery adventure game to play. I haven't played too many so any suggestions would be helpful.
Most of the adventure games are nothing but mystery. what matters is if you want detective mystery, horror mystery, comic mystery etc ...

If I have to suggest then you should play following:

i. The Lost Crown (Horror/Mystery)
ii. Black Mirror 1 & 2 (Murder/Thriller/Horror/Mystery)
iii. Dracula: Path of the Dragon (Horror/Mystery)
iv. Scratches (Horror/Mystery)
v. Darkness Within (Horror/Mystery) [part 2 coming up 21st of this month]

vi. Over Clocked vs Moment of Silence (MoS) ... I would say play MoS

vii. Runaway 1,2 & 3 (My favorite is the 3rd one)

Last edited by Sandman; 05-10-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #12

Allot of good ones mentioned so far, most of which i have played. but i would also personaly reccomend the first adventure game i ever played, The Mystery of the Druids, where you play as a Scotland Yard detective(see my avatar). also add Dead Reefs, a bit of a pirate era style set adventure with a good story & background.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
I thought Secret Files 1 sucks when it comes to story, dialogues, etc. It's nowhere near Broken Sword. Not much of a mystery too, if you ask me.

I didn't like much any Sherlock Holmes games after Secret of the Silver Earring, sure, stories are all right, but the gameplay turned me off.

I agree with gray pierce regarding Overclocked (although it's definitely not one of the best stories out there) and Blackwell. You could also try Emerald City Confidential, great story and dialogue during the first part of the game. I think there are a lot of FMV detective games, but I haven't played any, so...

Now, if it's a story (not necessarily a mystery) you're after, do yourself a favor, and buy The Moment of Silence. It's kind of a political thriller, and it's vastly unappreciated.

Btw, not many people will agree, but I recently finished Still Life, and I think it's totally amateurish.. IE, no FBI agent would behave like Victoria does, and no American would talk like they do in SL. But, it's got a great atmosphere (not the story though, mind you). Post Mortem is better (not overall), so there's another recommendation.
Bon: you have made yourself a new enemy!

No I'm just kidding. Everyone's entitled to his or her opinion I just don't agree with yours at all.

Secret Files: Tunguska's got a great and incredibly original story. I mean besides an epsiode of "The X Files" who's ever heard of the Tunguska event? And not a mystery? Okay, so you tell me you knew right from the start who the robed figure was and where Nina's father had been taken. You alse knew exactly what the real cause of the Tunguska event was and who the guy in the skyscraper who's face we could not see was? Then you're brilliant! Nay, genial!

Also what is it with the gameplay with the later SH titles that turned you off? I'm not disagreeing here. That's all just a matter of taste I'm just curious.

Did I say Overclocked's one of the best stories out there? No I said TLE was and I can't imagine you(or anyone else) disagree with me there. I did highly recommend it though and I still do. Because despite the fact that part of it is copied from the Dennis Lehane novel "Shutter Island" it's still a pretty original story.

Oh and what's your beef with the way the Americans talk in SL? And sure Vic's a bit over the top super cop but hey we're talking about a story of a serial murderer who copies murders from 100 years ago that in turn were based on paintings. How realistic is that?

Edit: I forgot to mention I wanna know what your beef is with the way the amricans talk in SL because I'm interrested. Not because I disagree. All the American I know is form films and tv series. I'm assuming you live in America so you probably know better than I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Most of the adventure games are nothing my mystery. what matters is if you want detective mystery, horror mystery, comic mystery etc ...

If I have to suggest then you should play following:

i. The Lost Crown (Horror/Mystery)
ii. Black Mirror 1 & 2 (Murder/Thriller/Horror/Mystery)
iii. Dracula: Path of the Dragon (Horror/Mystery)
iv. Scratches (Horror/Mystery)
v. Darkness Within (Horror/Mystery) [part 2 coming up 21st of this month]

vi. Over Clocked vs Moment of Silence (MoS) ... I would say play MoS

vii. Runaway 1,2 & 3 (My favorite is the 3rd one)
Runaway's not a mystery. If runaway's a mystery then SF is certainly one! They're pretty funny though.

Last edited by gray pierce; 05-10-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:

And you just made a new friend... Tunguska is the worst game I have played ever, and Still Life was not impressive. Awful story (talk, talk, talk and try-all-inventories-on-everything-else) and bad graphics.

Try Dark Fall 1-3, The Lost Crown, Scratches and Black Mirror.

Oh, and by the way gray pierce, I had heard about Tunguska before, and did you get an answer from the game?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #15

Looks like it might be a number of days before A Moment of Silence arrives. I kept playing Broken Sword 2 and I think I'm near the end. The "puzzles" are quite good in the game, most are somewhat logical and I only had to sneak a peak at the guide once so far. It's just the story which is lackluster in this one.

The secret files games look good, I was thinking of playing Tunguska as it's only $9 at gamersgate
Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlin View Post
And you just made a new friend... Tunguska is the worst game I have played ever, and Still Life was not impressive. Awful story (talk, talk, talk and try-all-inventories-on-everything-else) and bad graphics.

Try Dark Fall 1-3, The Lost Crown, Scratches and Black Mirror.

Oh, and by the way gray pierce, I had heard about Tunguska before, and did you get an answer from the game?
The whole thing about the enemy was just a joke. You got that right? It might've been a lame joke but it was a joke. And SF:Tunguska worst game ever? Clearly you haven't played Belief and Betrayal, Undercover: Operation Wintersun or Martin Mystere. Still Life I guess appeals to some and not so much to others.

BTW: I heard about Tunguska before as well once. How many times have you heard about Roswell? Or the Templars? Or Atlantis? I think it's still pretty original. And if with getting an answer from the game you mean this
Spoiler:
The robed figures were aliens from the same planet as the spaceship that crashed in the Tunguska region, wich caused the Tunguska event, who kidnapped Nina's father to protect him from Gartusso, the man in the skyscraper

then yes

Last edited by gray pierce; 05-10-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
Bon
The Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Secret Files: Tunguska's got a great and incredibly original story. I mean besides an epsiode of "The X Files" who's ever heard of the Tunguska event?
I played it when it came out so I don't remember exactly what's wrong with it... But I'm pretty sure it suffered from translation issues (among other things).
Quote:
And not a mystery? Okay, so you tell me you knew right from the start who the robed figure was and where Nina's father had been taken. You alse knew exactly what the real cause of the Tunguska event was and who the guy in the skyscraper who's face we could not see was? Then you're brilliant! Nay, genial!
Thanks.

Now seriously, I never thought games like Tunguska and Broken Sword are mysteries... now that I think of it, it does make sense.
Quote:
Also what is it with the gameplay with the later SH titles that turned you off? I'm not disagreeing here. That's all just a matter of taste I'm just curious.
First person mostly, but the entire moving / interacting aspect is uncomfortable. And horrible pixel hunting in Awakened.
Quote:
Did I say Overclocked's one of the best stories out there? No I said TLE was and I can't imagine you(or anyone else) disagree with me there.
I figured you did because you said TLE's got one of the best stories and the next best thing is Overclocked. I guess I was wrong.
Quote:
Oh and what's your beef with the way the Americans talk in SL?
It's just that I don't think any American talks like that. Lousy translation.
Quote:
And sure Vic's a bit over the top super cop but hey we're talking about a story of a serial murderer who copies murders from 100 years ago that in turn were based on paintings. How realistic is that?
I don't know if she's a super cop, but she is a pretty dumb cop. I mean, she's with the FBI, couldn't she get a warrant to get in the Red Lantern club? Then, she finds pictures of the killer in there, and she doesn't even bother to check out the club's background (who owns it, etc.) or to question the people on the members list. And the worst - she leaves the next victim with her boyfriend!!? Why didn't she take her to the station, or at least assign a couple of cops to guard her? All in all, it's no wonder they couldn't catch the killer with people like that working on the case. I wouldn't even let Victoria join the academy.

As for realism, the setting doesn't have to be realistic but the story has to follow the rules of that setting. In this case, the story of a serial killer copying murders from 100 years ago is set in modern day Chicago. Nothing in that setting implies that FBI agents are stupid.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #18

Quote:
I played it when it came out so I don't remember exactly what's wrong with it... But I'm pretty sure it suffered from translation issues (among other things).
I did too but I've replayed it so many times since then I remember every detail. And I don't remember any translation issues. I do remember a lot of character including the main ones were lacking a lot of character. But the story, puzzles and overall experience more than made up for this flaw in my respect.
Thanks.

Quote:
Now seriously, I never thought games like Tunguska and Broken Sword are mysteries... now that I think of it, it does make sense.
Me niether to me they're more "adventures" (as in the genre not the gametype we all love) but yes they do contain a lot of mystery.

Quote:
First person mostly, but the entire moving / interacting aspect is uncomfortable. And horrible pixel hunting in Awakened.
I don't remember any pixelhunting in The Awakened but then again I played it with Windows XP in the best ratio imaginable. I do however remember some strange glitches of buildings being ressurected in a single second and Watson being able to teleport. As for the first person perspective. I just loved looking through the eyes of Holmes. And yes the interface is a bit off. But I got used to it real soon and it's one of the main attractions for me now.

Quote:
I figured you did because you said TLE's got one of the best stories and the next best thing is Overclocked. I guess I was wrong.
That makes sense and as I said before I do think Overclocked's got a pretty good story but it's nowhere near as good as TLE.

Quote:
It's just that I don't think any American talks like that. Lousy translation.
What exactly are you pointing at here? Once again I didn't detect any translation issues.

Quote:
I don't know if she's a super cop, but she is a pretty dumb cop. I mean, she's with the FBI, couldn't she get a warrant to get in the Red Lantern club? Then, she finds pictures of the killer in there, and she doesn't even bother to check out the club's background (who owns it, etc.) or to question the people on the members list. And the worst - she leaves the next victim with her boyfriend!!? Why didn't she take her to the station, or at least assign a couple of cops to guard her? All in all, it's no wonder they couldn't catch the killer with people like that working on the case. I wouldn't even let Victoria join the academy.
Ah now I see what your getting at. I thought you were talking about the fact that she drives a mix between a hummer and a tank like vehicle and that she's constantly playing with guns and chasing people without having to file a single report. As to the real allegations made. The thing with the club for me felt like budget cuts, that doesn't make it right but I can live with it. As for the next victim issue. If you've played Still Life 2 (or as I did, watched parts of the video walkthrough) you'd understand why this course of action was highly important to the story.

Quote:
As for realism, the setting doesn't have to be realistic but the story has to follow the rules of that setting. In this case, the story of a serial killer copying murders from 100 years ago is set in modern day Chicago. Nothing in that setting implies that FBI agents are stupid.
Ones again I assumed things to quickly. This indeed doesn't have anything to do with it and you can disregard that part.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
Bon
The Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
I don't remember any pixelhunting in The Awakened but then again I played it with Windows XP in the best ratio imaginable.
The one case in the hospital in Switzerland stuck in my mind. If I remember correctly, it's a rope in one of the rooms surrounding that garden-thing. But, I think pixel hunting is more of a problem for me than for anyone else - I can look around the scene for half an hour and still don't find any hot-spots.

Quote:
What exactly are you pointing at here? Once again I didn't detect any translation issues.
I can't think of any example or point to anything specific.. I'll be sure to make notes when I play it next time.

Quote:
If you've played Still Life 2 (or as I did, watched parts of the video walkthrough) you'd understand why this course of action was highly important to the story.
No, I still haven't played SL2, I'll be sure to pick it up soon though.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #20

Default Cards of destiny

Cards of Destiny - A very pretty game that runs without any bugs at all. I found this game quite enjoyable because of the large variety of locations to visit. The plot is so-so as is the voice acting and script. The puzzles are excellent however and fun to solve. Overall, it's a great game that had me glued to my screen for over 16 hours. They are hopefully going to make more of these, this one has the great graphics and gameplay of the previous games. A script editor who speaks english would be a plus, but for $19.95 I can tolerate a less than perfect game. With a little polish I could see this game selling for much more.