You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #41

Enjoyed the demo very much. Tempted to buy it online, but I like me boxes
Old 05-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
I'm not trying to preach about being stuck in the past. Whatever floats your boat. I understand some folks enjoy 2D backgrounds and traditional AG gameplay and see nothing wrong with that.

But I do admittedly get upset at times when games are dismissed entirely, simply because they don't incorporate the exact same game mechanics that have been used in AG's for many many years now.

And yes, I have played Penumbra and found it an excellent game as you did. I also found Indigo Prophecy a very good game despite some flaws.

I obviously write in these forums to get my opinion expressed, but mostly to let devs know that people like myself and others welcome games in the genre that deviate from the norm.
Well, I personally love 2D visuals (especially hand-drawn) as I've metioned already, but I have to agree with you here. DW2 is an adventure game with 3D done right in a lot of ways and dismissing the game solely because it no longer utilizes 2D backgrounds is indeed downright ludicrous.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Anyone else having install issues with the demo? Right after install, on the first attempt to launch, I get a PhysX.dll not found error message. After closing out of that I get a weird 3/4 black screen and on the task bar a Engine Init Error appears but I can't view it. Anyone else figure this out? I've already uninstalled/reinstalled to no effect...
I have almost the same problem. I get this 3/4 black screen and on the task bar a Engine Init Error appears but I can't view it.
I followed mgeorge's instructions but that didn't fix the problem.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lellelind View Post
I have almost the same problem. I get this 3/4 black screen and on the task bar a Engine Init Error appears but I can't view it.
I followed mgeorge's instructions but that didn't fix the problem.
What are your PC specs, especially the graphics card?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post
What are your PC specs, especially the graphics card?
WinXP, 1 GB RAM, 1.8 GHz.
ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 Series, 256 MB.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lellelind View Post
WinXP, 1 GB RAM, 1.8 GHz.
ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 Series, 256 MB.
That unfortunately explains everything. Your graphics card is very old (that chipset came out in 2002) and does not support Pixel Shader 3.0. You should start putting aside some money in order to buy a new computer, it's not worth upgrading this one.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #47
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I put a couple of hours into this the other night and I'm enjoying it so far. They use a town as kind of an open world hub - or so it seems so far - and while it's incredibly basic, it's nice to at least have the illusion of being in a somewhat nonlinear world. The story continues right after the last game, although you definitely don't have to have played through the first game to get into this one, a 10-second recap of it at the beginning of this one pretty much points out how little actually happened plot-wise in it. The game brings back the same thinking mechanics where you have to underline important words in documents and then piece them together to make deductions. It's still a neat idea but it's just as clunky and frustrating as it was in the first game and there are many times where you know what you have to do but can't get it as exact as the game wants. It's still a fun game though, and I like the fact that they're trying to be a lot more ambitious this time around. They might not be able to quite pull it off but they come close enough to make it worth playing.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #48

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

after watching youtube videos of someone playing, im even more dissappointed now, the atmosphere turns out to be better than i expected, but the suspense from the first game has been replaced with the computer taking over the camera and slowly moving it to reveal "scary picture" "characters" etc... just like in the demo. I will drink wine to accompany this cheese after I buy it.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #49
A Slice of Fried Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
after watching youtube videos of someone playing, im even more dissappointed now, the atmosphere turns out to be better than i expected, but the suspense from the first game has been replaced with the computer taking over the camera and slowly moving it to reveal "scary picture" "characters" etc... just like in the demo. I will drink wine to accompany this cheese after I buy it.
Most of the reveals are obvious and aren't very scary but I will say that the sound design is fantastic. If you play the game in the dark with headphones on, the creepiness should outweigh the cheesiness.

The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-31-2010, 04:22 AM   #50

my game has been sent today by amazon, allot of confusion, but should arrive in next couple of days
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #51

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

AG has given DW-2 ratings of 2.5/5. The review article also sums up everything on why its good and why it sucks more then it is good.

Last edited by Sandman; 06-01-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #52

ya i just uninstalled it without even finishing. it started off ok, but got very boring very quick.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk22 View Post
ya i just uninstalled it without even finishing. it started off ok, but got very boring very quick.
Well although i had mixed views on the first one, as it is supposed to be a series of games i was lead to belive, i am going to give it the benefit of the doubt, and try to fight to the end of it when it arrives. it cant be worse than Barrow Hill
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #54

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk22 View Post
I still have it installed. Just can't come to play it. This list also involves Whispered World and Momento Mori.

Man what a disappointment.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #55
A Slice of Fried Gold

You shouldn't give up on the game until you get to the large mansion where the second half of the game takes place, that's when the game hits its stride. The only problem is you have to trudge through that old shack and the caves underneath it which are full of some incredibly obtuse and annoying puzzles which can be incredibly frustrating and time consuming.

The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #56
Restless Dreamer

Played the demo and thought it was pretty good, though I agree the game's decision to take control away from the player to slowly pan toward important "scary" moments, like finding the frozen corpse, completely fails since it takes you out of the moment - similar to when other games use cut scenes to show you the most important parts of the game because it's afraid you might miss it otherwise. Otherwise, the game feels competent enough, so I will still give it a go. And yes, it can't be worse than Barrow Hill, which I enjoyed and was alright, but painfully slow and not scary at all.
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #57

I'm getting the PhysXloader.dll error myself, and I know I have a Physx compatible graphics card. Geforce 8700 Mobile. -_- I want to play this!

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #58

Well I bought the collector's edition of darkness within 1 and 2. They install perfectly and play well up to the point where in Darkness 2, you have to read a letter and underline certain words. On mine the edit tools don't show, so i can only read the damn thing and not carry on. I'm in the process of downloading beta patch 1.06 to see if this sorts it out. My specs are

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
AMD Athlon x2 64 @ 5200
6 Gig of DDR 2 ram
1 Gig DDR 3 Graphics on Direct x 11
Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #59

Lol my bad. didn't realize on easy, you don't need to use the edit functions, so put it on normal and works 100%