You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #21

From what I understand Iceberg has already started shipping the game today although the official release date is May 28th in the States.

I've also heard there will be a demo coming out very soon.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #22

I hope you're right. Even if i have not time to play it till next week.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #23

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Update?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #24
Chicken with a bite

I can confirm Iceberg has started sending out the games. I have received mine.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #25

I'd appreciate it if you could let us know how it is when you get a chance to play it. I've been looking forward to this game for quite some time, but I'm hesitant to actually buy new games until I've heard a bit more about them.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #26
Chicken with a bite

Demo is out
http://iceberg-interactive.com/news-...-dw2-demo.html
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #27

Demo is a lot of fun. Looks very good to at my monitors native resolution to. 1280 X 1024. Gameplay is kind of like a cross between Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth, and Penumbra!

I'm lovin it!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #28
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I was pleasantly surprised by the demo. The one thing I was worrying about in regards to the game was the english translation, and while it isn't perfect, it seems to be good enough and doesn't reach Art of Murder-levels of terribleness. Even in this demo, you can tell they nailed the creepy atmosphere perfectly. The reveal of the frozen body is eerie, and the way the screen begins to blur whenever you look at it for a period of time is unsettling and a nice little touch. I wasn't too excited for this game before but after playing this, I think I might just have to give it a purchase.

One minor quibble though: is the noise filter really necessary? I took it off immediately and the game looked so much better. Clean graphics don't make the game any less spooky.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #29

I'm loving the demo, even though I still can't figure out the puzzle
Spoiler:
which revolves around aligning the symbols in a particular order after opening the hatch in the floor. The piece of paper I taped up doesn't help much, unless I'm missing something.

The atmosphere is top notch, music sets the mood nicely and I was actually surprised how good the visuals are - the team managed to achieve so much with an engine that obviously is no CryEngine2. Great texture work, fantastic lighting - I'm impressed.

I'm definitely looking forward to the full release.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #30

The demo does looks impressive but I have issues with the controls. I like the classical single hand (on the mouse) only games while my lazy left hand is resting. Here I have to use both hands. Might be tiring. But I am looking forward to this game. I'll add it to my play-on-vacation list.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post
I'm loving the demo, even though I still can't figure out the puzzle
Spoiler:
which revolves around aligning the symbols in a particular order after opening the hatch in the floor. The piece of paper I taped up doesn't help much, unless I'm missing something.

The atmosphere is top notch, music sets the mood nicely and I was actually surprised how good the visuals are - the team managed to achieve so much with an engine that obviously is no CryEngine2. Great texture work, fantastic lighting - I'm impressed.

I'm definitely looking forward to the full release.
Yes, I'm impressed as well. Although I'm in the same boat as you regarding that puzzle. I have no idea how I'm supposed to figure that out even though I was given a "hint" in-game about the "shadows" to help me. I'm totally stumped here.

Did you get the hint about making an insect repellent? The clue said to look in drawers for a recipe, but I've opened everything I could and still can't find it.

I thought the diary was a nice touch and enjoyed reading it. Very Lovecraftian!!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
Yes, I'm impressed as well. Although I'm in the same boat as you regarding that puzzle. I have no idea how I'm supposed to figure that out even though I was given a "hint" in-game about the "shadows" to help me. I'm totally stumped here.
I've figured that puzzle out shortly after writing my post.
Spoiler:
Notice that some symbols are rotated compared to what you can see on the piece of paper, which unfortunately results in certain symbols looking very similar - so it's easy to make a mistake. I made one.

Here's the solution:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7554/hmmek.jpg

Quote:
Did you get the hint about making an insect repellent? The clue said to look in drawers for a recipe, but I've opened everything I could and still can't find it.
It seems that the contents of the drawers have been removed, I received the "not available in the demo version" message.

Because you cannot create a repellent, the demo ends
Spoiler:
with the protagonist killed by the bugs in the dungeon.

By the way, I've noticed the full version can already be bought from Impulse. Yay.

Last edited by Phaid; 05-28-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #33

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

i loved the first game, but the suspense and atmosphere has been lost imo, this is just boring
Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
i loved the first game, but the suspense and atmosphere has been lost imo, this is just boring
I don't like the atmosphere either. 3D ain't no good for me.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #35

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

I thought maybe I was being a negative nancy, but I am glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way. I think the revealing of the corpse was just prolonged and cheesy and ruined the already mild atmopshere.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
This game isn't going to be for everyone obviously. God forbid that it trys something different in the genre.

I honestly think that not matter how good a game is, if it doesn't use a point and click interface with 2D backgrounds, many people will dismiss it as a bad game.

My hats off to the devs for taking a chance with this one. I hope the rest of the game lives up to the demo, as I enjoyed it very much.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
This game isn't going to be for everyone obviously. God forbid that it trys something different in the genre.

I honestly think that not matter how good a game is, if it doesn't use a point and click interface with 2D backgrounds, many people will dismiss it as a bad game.

My hats off to the devs for taking a chance with this one. I hope the rest of the game lives up to the demo, as I enjoyed it very much.
I don't understand the negativity either, but I'd be grateful if you dropped the "you are stuck in the past" attitude - and I'm asking you to do it as a person who loves 2D graphics and point 'n' click interfaces.

First of all, DW2 isn't necessarily breaking new ground. Did you play (excellent) Penumbra? Of course you did. Both games play like every first person adventure out there, except they abandon the Myst-eque movement which revolves around "jumping" from one pre-determined "point" to the other (in which you can freely look around and interact with objects) in favour of allowing the player to explore the environment as he pleases, thanks to fully 3D visuals. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing - don't get me wrong, I love Myst, Black Dahlia, Darkness Within and other 2D first-person adventures and would love them to continue to be made, but they arbitrarily restrict the movement, while 3D doesn't have that limitation. As DW2 proves, talented developers are capable of delivering the level of detail which comes very close to pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, so why not take advantage of that?

In third-person adventures, 3D is a gimmick for the most part that only makes exploration problematic, but here, embracing the third dimension adds to the overall experience.

Secondly, I find it surprising that you are arguing that DW2 (or Penumbra) doesn't feature a point-and-click interface, even though it obviously does. The only difference is that said interface isn't used for movement anymore, which isn't a big deal, it actually makes sense to take advantage of keyboard controls in a first-person game.

Last edited by Phaid; 05-30-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #38

I'm not trying to preach about being stuck in the past. Whatever floats your boat. I understand some folks enjoy 2D backgrounds and traditional AG gameplay and see nothing wrong with that.

But I do admittedly get upset at times when games are dismissed entirely, simply because they don't incorporate the exact same game mechanics that have been used in AG's for many many years now.

And yes, I have played Penumbra and found it an excellent game as you did. I also found Indigo Prophecy a very good game despite some flaws.

I obviously write in these forums to get my opinion expressed, but mostly to let devs know that people like myself and others welcome games in the genre that deviate from the norm.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #39

Anyone else having install issues with the demo? Right after install, on the first attempt to launch, I get a PhysX.dll not found error message. After closing out of that I get a weird 3/4 black screen and on the task bar a Engine Init Error appears but I can't view it. Anyone else figure this out? I've already uninstalled/reinstalled to no effect...
Old 05-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #40

Lupin. Download these drivers from Nvidia and you should be set to go. I had the exact same error.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.10.0129.html

Not sure if you're aware of it or not, but I'm pretty sure the game does need a video card capable of shader 3.0.