Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Oldest game you haven't finished yet? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26766-oldest-game-you-havent-finished-yet.html)

Mystical Gamer1963 01-17-2011 06:35 PM

Hi,

I don't think I ever finished 7th Guest. It was the first adventure game I ever bought. When I sold my first computer--because I wanted bigger, faster, better--I gave away a lot of games, but kept most of my adventure games.

I'm a pack rat, almost never throwing anything away.

Jim

terhardp 01-17-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbman (Post 569498)
Paradise is by no means a classic, and certainly doesn't compare with Syberia but I would still recomend giving it another bash and tryign to get past the harem (as long as the poor control systems doesn't drive you completely mad) because that first location is by far the least interesting and atmospheric. The game picks up somewhat after that, in terms of its locations at least. And the cut scenes are gorgeous.

Thank you for your insight; I'll keep this in mind. You're right, I stopped playing the game during the harem part.

BTW, I must say that I'm currently playing Dark Fall: Lights Out which I've also started to play in the past and then quitted at some point. But now I've passed that point, and so far I must say that I'm enjoying the game, almost as much as the other Boakes' titles I've played so far. It's different from Dark Fall: The Journal, (which was until recently one of the games I haven't finished), but now I must say that it still has many things that I love about Boakes' games.

So, someday I might try to finish Paradise as well. At least, I've once again learned an important lesson: nearly everything deserves another chance.

Mystical Gamer1963 01-18-2011 05:00 AM

Hi,

I was playing Myst: Masterpiece Edition but had to uninstall it because it kept crashing on my Windows XP drive. I think it crashed twice last night, mainly because alerts from my software firewall, ZoneAlarm, interfered with it. So I uninstalled both game and firewall.

Thinking of playing my adventure games in alphabetical order, perhaps beginning with 7th Guest.

Jim

cbman 01-18-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terhardp (Post 569655)

BTW, I must say that I'm currently playing Dark Fall: Lights Out which I've also started to play in the past and then quitted at some point. But now I've passed that point, and so far I must say that I'm enjoying the game, almost as much as the other Boakes' titles I've played so far. It's different from Dark Fall: The Journal, (which was until recently one of the games I haven't finished), but now I must say that it still has many things that I love about Boakes' games.

Lights Out is my favourite of the Dark Fall games. I think it has the most interesting story and manages to build and maintain suspense a lot better than the other two by being more sparing with the ghostly effects. Graphically it is a step up from The Journal too of course. And it keeps throwing the locational twists at you!

Fantasysci5 01-18-2011 11:50 AM

I love both "The Journal" and "Lights Out". And although "Lights Out" starts off a bit rocky, I think it's really worth it to keep with it. It gets better, and I love exploring the lighthouse in different ways. ;)

JenniBee 01-18-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystical Gamer1963 (Post 569671)
I was playing Myst: Masterpiece Edition but had to uninstall it because it kept crashing on my Windows XP drive. I think it crashed twice last night, mainly because alerts from my software firewall, ZoneAlarm, interfered with it. So I uninstalled both game and firewall.

You can now play Myst: Masterpiece Edition with the latest version of ScummVM. It's available from the "Subversion Builds" section of the ScummVM downloads page.

That should hopefully let you play the game without crashing and let you keep your firewall software too. :)

dmwi_mike 01-19-2011 12:32 AM

I still haven't finished GK3. Loved the first two and played a good bit of the third installment until a computer crash. Never got around to playing it again. Even read Holy Blood, Holy Grail to psych myself up for it, but it still hasn't happened.

Glad to discover that I'm not the only one who hasn't finished Keepsake yet.

Thesaya 01-19-2011 01:29 AM

Well, the oldest would be Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. I have used a walkthrough to get through the first part of the game, since I play the game mostly because of the dialogue and humour, but even with it it is a bloody hard game. Got as far as to the part where you have several planets to choose between before I gave up this time.

Oldest game I played when I was younger, as in, bought when it came out must be the very first adventure game I played. (Also the first game that was my very own. I picked it out in the store, didn't really know what it was but thought it looked fun and made my dad buy it)
Hugo 2. Or 3. The one in the jungle. I was about five or six, only able to play it when my dad was home, sitting in his lap with him translating for me. I think I learnt most of my first English words from that games. Like Look at, talk to, pick up and use.
However being fiveish, I never managed to get out of the cage the voodoo man put me in. My brother did and he finished it, but I never got further on my own.

(Sorry for the nostalgia rant, didn't mean for it to get so long. :P)

hild 01-20-2011 03:25 PM

For me its also keepsake, I keep meaning to beat the game and have kept my saves when I changed computers but still have not been able to beat the game.

LeftHandedGuitarist 01-24-2011 05:27 AM

I bought King's Quest VII in 1994 and still haven't completed it. Although I acquired them more recently, I also need to finish Beneath a Steel Sky, Grim Fandango, Police Quest 4 and Escape from Monkey Island.

gib 01-25-2011 07:47 AM

Oldest game I've yet to finish is Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered on my iPod touch followed by Real Myst (I've got two more ages left) and I've just started playing Dark Fall: The Journal and barrow hill for the first time

Fantasysci5 01-25-2011 09:18 AM

Left-I haven't finished Kings Quest VII, either. Too Disney cartoony for me.