Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Oldest game you haven't finished yet? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26766-oldest-game-you-havent-finished-yet.html)

Tiocfaidh 05-03-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman5 (Post 547753)
Sacrilege! :P Well, particularly BS2.

Nah, BS2 isn´t that good, especially when compared with the first one ;)

on topic:

The Dig
Got stuck, even with a walkthrough ... fourteen years ago :crazy:
I have no interest whatsoever in completing it.

alienux 05-04-2010 12:01 PM

I think the only adventure game that I didn't actually finish was Riddle of the Sphinx. I thought it was a decent game, but I remember thinking that I had to be getting near the end, and this absolutely seemingly huge and daunting area opened up. I meant to take a break for a few days, but that break ended up being months, and then I eventually got a newer computer and have never re-installed it. I think I have my original saved game files backed up somewhere, but I think if I do play it again, I'll start from the beginning because its been at least 9 years since I played it.

Little Writer 05-04-2010 10:48 PM

That reminds me, I never finished "Riddle of Master Lu". And I was all stoked for finding it on eBay and everything.

runningback 05-05-2010 01:25 AM

Never got past the alarmed floor in Gideon's house in TEX MURPHY - OVERSEER
seem to remember that the combination of mouse and keyboard controls frustrated me no end and contrary to UNDER A KILLING MOON I never got myself to attempt again.

DustyShinigami 05-05-2010 02:46 AM

Tex Murphy: Overseer as well. I'm inside that... bunker? Under this desert-like-place? You have to watch a video where you see this guy, who'd been murdered, activate some kind of code when these alarms go off. You have to listen to the sounds that play so you can input the code as well.

I tried quite a few times but never got it. After that, I ended up leaving the game for a bit, which has now turned into 'quite a long time'.

Hoipolloi 12-24-2010 04:12 PM

Clive Barker's Undying. Good game with a nice mix of action and puzzle solving, good 3D graphics, but I lost my way somewhere in the interconnected mazes filled with skeletons and around a cathedral(?), couldn't remember if I had done that part already or overlooked something. I definitely plan to revisit it, and I have no qualms about using walkthroughs since I decided it's a waste of time, anyway.
Schism: I tried that one too, decided that you had to be a nuclear physicist to solve this (this is a stolen quote), and that it wasn't a good game - it's about fun, not work, or is it?
Sanitarium and Grim Fandango: I've tried a few times to love the latter, but couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes - won't be trying again unless desparate. Will be trying Sanitarium, one of these days.
System Shock 2: This is a game I couldn't find anywhere at the time I was most crazy about it. Played the demo as a teen. Now it makes my weak old heart go thump-thump - too exciting for me. Will recover enough - maybe - at some later stage in life.

kate me 12-24-2010 04:26 PM

Sinking Island (I got borred of walking in the same rooms over and over in the tower, didn't like the inventory, and got bored of the game near the end)...

Isak 12-25-2010 05:23 PM

Loom - played it about ten years ago. Got stuck at the part where you came to a weird town (?) I think... Haven't yet picked up the game again ever since...

skeeter_93 12-26-2010 08:55 PM

Riven and Myst. I got Riven when it came out, and it had Myst in the box. I started them, but got bored and confused quickly. I keep telling myself I will finish them one day. It's been at least 10 years...

Before the PC, I had Murder on the Missisippi (cannot spell that word) on the Commodore 64. I was about 7 or 8 when my brother and I got stuck on it. One day I will finish it. We had trouble choosing which key words to save in our notebooks to show other characters. It'd probably be easier as an adult... At some point a hook would appear that we could use to get a gun. But we had to start again and couldn't get the hook to appear once we got back to that point. We just walked in and out the door a hundred times waiting for it to appear. Now I understand trigger events, and figure we missed doing something or showing someone something...

Kurufinwe 12-26-2010 09:25 PM

I still haven't finished Maupiti Island. It must be close to 20 years now. :D Now that there's the Internet, I could find a walkthrough easily --- but what would be the point? What an awful, awful game that was...

nonax 12-27-2010 12:02 AM

I never finished Zack McKracken

Nafsika 12-27-2010 06:28 AM

I haven't finished sanitarium although I liked it but I didn't have the time

harald 12-29-2010 02:22 PM

The Space Bar. That's one hard game. Very good, but too difficult. But I've probably ranted about this in every second thread of this forum now. (slight exaggeration)

I tend to be fairly thorough, and usually don't keep games sitting unfinished for very long - even if I don't like them much. I often have the same trouble with books I don't like, putting them away after starting on them. It's annoying to waste time, yes, but even more annoying to leave a story before the end. For some reason.

That may explain why I still haven't played through all game paths in Pandora Directive, even though it's one of my favourite games. Since I've already seen the canonical ending, the alternate versions aren't top priority.

Red_Lizard2 12-29-2010 04:43 PM

Myst is the only one I can think of, played it when I was like 5 or 6 though, so basically had no idea what was going on xD. Still have never wanted to go back and give it a go either.

River 12-29-2010 11:14 PM

Sam & Max. Not my style of game.

terhardp 12-29-2010 11:42 PM

Paradise

I've tried this one after I've played Syberia (the series) and Sinking Island. I was craving for more of Sokal design, which is what I've probably liked the most in the mentioned games. However, I just could't get past the first chapter of Paradise. The story and the dialogs mostly turned me down, but it also doesn't have the atmosphere of his other titles (IMHO).

Dark Fall: The Journal

I've tried this game after I've played and was blown away by TLC. However, I was promptly turned down with the graphic and the resolution on my widescreen. But I've read too much ravings about this game and certainly will try to play it on my older laptop which has smaller screen.

Dark Fall: Lights Out

Overall, the game is quite appealing, but it lacks something. The story seems intriguing, but it's not presented too well in the actual game, the atmosphere is certainly there, though it's nowhere as good as in TLC and DFLS. The puzzles are not very inspiring, and the whole thing is maybe a bit too much surreal for my taste.

Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island

I've tried, I've played, I've just didn't like it. The main reason is probably a strong MI series influence that was clouding my judgement.

Idrisguitar 12-30-2010 04:56 AM

is tlc the lost crown?

zoecastillo 12-30-2010 06:50 AM

For me, it's Amerzone - bought it probably about 2 years ago - tried playing it twice and just can't seem to figure out what to do after about the first 20 minutes - I don't know, it just seemed so boring - but I never got past the first scene. Now that I am a seasoned adveture gamer and can probably figure it out pretty well - is it worth a 3rd try? I need a new game - that's for sure!

I also bought Dark Fall The Journal a long time ago - I played Lights Out and Lost Souls - enjoyed both of those - but I was new to the genre when I started The Journal and like Amerzone got stuck early and just stopped. I'll take advice again - should I give it another whirl?

rottford 12-30-2010 07:08 AM

Riddle of Master Lu. Bought it in '95, but as a 12-year-old, didn't find it as gripping as some other adventures. Now I just wish I could get it running under Vista!

Kurufinwe 12-30-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottford (Post 567725)
Riddle of Master Lu. Bought it in '95, but as a 12-year-old, didn't find it as gripping as some other adventures. Now I just wish I could get it running under Vista!

DOSBox is your friend.