You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Moment of Silence

I just played this game for the first time, and I'm amazed at how overlooked it seems to be. It is a GREAT conspiracy/thriller detective adventure game. Very long and substantial, and unfolds very nicely just like the best adventure games. You want it to keep going, and it does. It lives up to the "adventure" in the genre, like it's pulling out all the stops. Strongly recommended. It really should be played and talked about more.

I am very jaded with adventures these days, especially because so many of them just seem to go through the motions or seem kinda cheaply developed. This is a very well made game, beautiful graphics and animation and cut scenes, no loose ends or "rushed" feeling to it.

If u like stories like Deus Ex, etc you have to play this.

I liked this much better than Overclocked, which this company also made.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #2

I also loved it (I mean, have a look at my avatar). I loved the premise, and how it unfolded, with a very satisfying ending (in terms of story, the gameplay was a bit dull in the end part).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
I liked this much better than Overclocked, which this company also made.

But I also enjoyed Overclocked, despite its faults. Much more ambitious.

I wonder what these guys are up to. It seems something called 15 days.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #3

I couldn't agree more...

...one of my all time favourites

Sorry to say that the founding members of the developer House of Tales have recently quit.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
NO senior just Senorita..

Here is my comment about this game after playing it....(you can find it at the game Review...)
"There are only a very few games that I would even consider to play a second time for the simple reason there are lots of games I didn't play ,so why would I waste my precious time over a game that lost all its mystery...
There are even fewer games that I would really enjoy playing a second time...Usually playing a second time a game means boredom and ruining my first imression of it...So I try to avoid those remakes of games as much as possible knowing the chances are slim to have fun there...(Unless there is a voice acting for a mute game or a new 3D experience )
BUT for every rule there is an exception and THIS game is the exception...Playing this game for the second time managed to preserve the original experience...
The reasons for me to play it for a second time were two...
1)This game has the best story I have ever been witnessed in a game ,and I could really relate easily to what has been said there...This game got me thinking a lot like no game ever managed to do so...Usually after playing a game I don't give a rat's ass about the story...I only remember PUZZLES...If i'm looking for a good story I find it easily in movies and books...
2)The first time I played it I wasn't really comitted to it and the last puzzle of the game was so complicated to figure out that I rushed out to find the solution so I could see the end of the game(You probably know the feeling you are dying to see how the game ends, only there is one little tiny mini puzzle that refuses to give in...)...But I kept this one locked in my mind to come back again when I am fully comitted to it...And of course this time I was determined to beat the last puzzle...
I wasn't able eventually to beat that puzzle...And for being one of the few puzzles I wasn't able to beat in spite of the fact I came to it fully "prepared" with all my attention ,determination,and motivation I can easily crowned it as the hardest bad-ass puzzle to beat...

My final verdict : A masterpiece "
Old 04-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #5

I found Moment of Silence a tad too predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless. also had a very irritating pathing bug, click on the right side of the screen and... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WALKING OVER TO THE LEFT FOR?!
definitely a game I'd recommend though. Overclocked was fun too, but suffered even more from being far too predictable, also I didn't really like the ending
Spoiler:
despite being a violent jerk to his wife she forgives him and they get back together? yes it was all the fault of the Evil Government Conspiracy but it felt like there should've at least been some kind of explanation of how he managed to a: prove that to her and b: get cured because without both of those happening it seems unlikely there could be any kind of reconciliation
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #6

I enjoyed Moment of Silence a lot but I found the game to be just a little too difficult for my tastes. And I dont really mean the puzzles were difficult (well some were) but there were a few moments where I really did not know what i was supposed to do to progress the story. Maybe Im still a noob when it comes to these games but having to bump into the repair man in the airport lounge to progress the story when up to that point you had no need to go in the lounge and nothing (to my knowledge) prompted you to go there. Did any of you guys beat this game without a walkthrough? Besides a few moments where I really didn't know what to do next I still enjoyed it very much and found the story and environments entertaining.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxBandits123 View Post
... having to bump into the repair man in the airport lounge to progress the story when up to that point you had no need to go in the lounge and nothing (to my knowledge) prompted you to go there. Did any of you guys beat this game without a walkthrough?
Lol. Yes, I forgot that. I guess I only remember the good things, like the excellent story (was it predictable? The ending was quite surprising for me.)

Actually, I now recall spending some time with some stupid wheels I had to turn. MoS is very much your typical AG in that regard, much as I hate to say this. Of course I used a w/t, or some some of hit system. I always do in these kind of games. Overclocked was even worse.

Btw: don't suppose overclocked ends up the way it does, the final scene really does not tell that much...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #8

Everyone's different I guess. Only times we needed a Walkthrough for Moment of Silence (as far as I remember) was for the nightmare puzzle right near the end which was far too abstract for my taste, without much feedback for what you had to do; and for the lift on the platform (where I seem to remember reading was a flaw from the German translation). Didn't need one at all for Overclocked - that was pretty easy.

But agree totally that Moment of Silence was excellent overall (gets into my overall top 10) though not without a few flaws. The very dodgy pathing has already been mentioned; also the total lack of security or human presence at times (e.g. the platform in the sea or the end location) were rather hard to suspend disbelief for! I liked overclocked too though certainly wouldn't put it as high as MoS. 15 days storyline is intriguing, shame that the founders have now left the company.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Stalker of Britain

I really liked 'Moment of Silence', even more than Overclocked. It had a full story that was well developed, and ended satisfactorily. The characters felt a bit stiff to me, trying to do a sort of 'Longest Journey' excessive dialogue, but it was still really good. I really loved when he was in the prison.

I wonder if 'Culpa Innata' is as good as 'Moment of Silence'. Anyone played both?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 04-21-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #10

Culpa Innata is not as good, imo. Not nearly. It's good and worth playing, but it doesn't feel as well put together, high budget, or substantial. Kinda similar in some ways though.

I think MoS is better than Overclocked and to me it feels much more ambitious. After MoS I really felt like I had really done it all, and the story never seemed to drag down. From the starting gate I was compelled to hear every new line. Overclocked kinda dragged and felt less BIG to me. A lot of AGs these days are a chore to sit through the dialog and storytelling, but MoS just somehow did it right. I really miss that. It refreshed my faith in AGs, that I'm not just getting jaded.

And yeah the last puzzle is pretty ridiculous. I had to use a W/T for that, but the rest of the game was definitely doable. I appreciate the stumpers too, most games are too easy.

As far as going to the airport lounge, that's kind of just adventure game 101. On new days, especially when you're unsure what to do, check out all the once-barren areas again b/c things change. That's true for life too.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #11

Yep, can agree pretty much 100% with everything RockNFknRoll wrote. Culpa Innata is good, well worth playing, but the world & story don't quite have the depth of MoS and the puzzles aren't up to much. The puzzles in MoS were (with one or two exceptions) pretty good as I remember it.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
Life and times of...

What I still remember from MoS, what really stands out (it's been a really long time so I have only a vague recollection overall) , was the atmosphere. There was just something about the feel of the world that really clicked and everything just seemed... real? Instead of being just a stage for the story and puzzles (as many games feel). Of course the usual lack of people (which is common for most games, you just can't make a realistic amount of people (who act realistically) without making the game excessively heavy for also those with a slower hardware) did take away the usual bit but it doesn't really matter that much and there were the occasional scenes such as the poolside in the 'station were just inexplicably atmospheric (or something - I mean I still think back sometimes on the pool and think what an awesome feeling there was, I just can't explain why )
Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #13

Quote:
As far as going to the airport lounge, that's kind of just adventure game 101. On new days, especially when you're unsure what to do, check out all the once-barren areas again b/c things change. That's true for life too.
That's so not true for life! You've played too many AGs, my friend.

Seriously, MoS was a classic AG in these regard, and many others. Therefore, I have to disagree about it being ambitious as a game. Overclocked was very much so, imho.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
That's so not true for life! You've played too many AGs, my friend.

Seriously, MoS was a classic AG in these regard, and many others. Therefore, I have to disagree about it being ambitious as a game. Overclocked was very much so, imho.
i meant ambitious in terms of what you do as a character and the story. to me it felt like a much bigger, grander experience. overclocked tried more new things with the genre and storytelling techniques, that's true.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #15

I hated the game. Tried twice but couldn't force myself far enough in either time. Character moves slow. No direction. Uninspired and unpolished imo.

Culpa I had a few hours in before i gave up from boredom. No puzzles.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
to me it felt like a much bigger, grander experience. overclocked tried more new things with the genre and storytelling techniques, that's true.
Exactly. It's funny, Fahrenheit begins like Overclocked, and ends like MoS. Storywise, I mean.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Stalker of Britain

I would say it's the other way around. MoS ended very nicely, without being too farfetched, at least in my opinion. I felt cheated by "Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy's" ending. I felt it had started off excellent, then took a far too science fiction/fantasy approach. And granted, the ending of MoS was also science fiction, but it felt like it could happen. Unlike Indigo Prophecy...

Of course, this is all my opinion.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #18
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
'Moment of Silence' (...) ended satisfactorily.
Quote:
Fahrenheit (...) ends like MoS.
Talk about contradicting views
I'm somewhere in the middle of MoS so I hope Periglo's description isn't entirely true (and I'm out'a here, not to get spoiled).
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Exactly. It's funny, Fahrenheit begins like Overclocked, and ends like MoS. Storywise, I mean.
No, I meant in terms of scope of the story, i.e. how much it involves. I can't say more without spoilling...

Spoiler:

In the sense that Overclocked is about saving just one human being, namely the main character. Exactly as in Fahrenheit. Then, the later evolves into saving the world, same as in the MoS. (OK, it may not be clear that the whole world is at stake in MoS, but it is obvious that some sort of great conspiracy is taking place, what with your deceased wife and this very special "friend" popping on your PC from time to time.)
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #20

I've always loved MoS, and still think it's one of the best games released in ten years. I, also noticed how Fahrenheit has many similarities to MoS, even the main character. Then again, Overclocked was a huge disappointment to me. It almost seemed like these two developers were trying to copy eachother. Almost.